Child care charges, reasonable or unreasonable?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Child care charges, reasonable or unreasonable?

Postby shopzz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:57 pm

Hi all,
I would like to have some views/comments from you.

Recently we notice our kid's child care organize educational tour frequently, once a month. We were initially quite happy but looking at the charges per trip, we feel being exploited.

A 2-3hrs trip to Jacob Ballas children corner at Botanic garden cost $15!
From we know, admission fee is free.

Is this charges reasonable or unreasonable?

Is other child care center also charges similarly?

shopzz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm
Total Likes: 5


Postby caroline3sg » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Usually such trips include food & transport.

Previously, child care also charged $2 per month (payable one lump sum of $24 per yr) for transport to nearby park.

caroline3sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1004
Joined: Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby shopzz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:34 pm

Agree the cost include transport.

But we have to pack a small bag with drinks for the kid to bring along. And they will come back to childcare center for lunch.

So can we say $15 is just for transport and profit?

shopzz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm
Total Likes: 5


Postby jedamum » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:50 pm

Can parents opt out?

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor
 
Posts: 8517
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:58 pm
Total Likes: 20


Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:53 pm

My boy's CC used to organise frequent field trips but stopped with the H1N1 situation.

I recall a trip to visit the goat farm & an organic vegetable farm cost us $9/pax (same price if parents want to follow). It includes transport to & fro, light snacks for the kids. I personally found it reasonable as that trip had 24 pax (including parents & 4 teachers). Bus would cost around $80 for round trip (small bus). Divide that among 20 paying pax it'll be around $4/pax. And from what I know, we need to pay a 'tour fee' for the goat farm & each visitor got a bottle of goat's milk. I don't think they earn alot from such trips. Not to forget, they might need to purchase extra insurance for such outings (I know the school where I work at only has insurance to cover accidents that happen in school, external outings require additional insurance per event).

If you find it too pricey, you can voice out and ask them what are you are exactly paying for. Sometimes the excursions are conducted by external vendors (if they have planned activities there) and that'll increase the cost.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0



Postby shopzz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing.

Yes, this trip can be opt out but parent has to make alternative childcare arrangement.

Normally the whole CC will go for the field trip. So there is at least 60 kids minus a few opt out. All teacher will go, some time include the cooking and cleaning aunties.

So far never heard or saw any external vendor involved in their trip.

They also went to goat farm few months back $12/pax include transport, snack, a bottle of goat milk and goat feeding.

shopzz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm
Total Likes: 5


Postby mrswongtuition » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:02 pm

shopzz wrote:Thanks for sharing.

Yes, this trip can be opt out but parent has to make alternative childcare arrangement.

Normally the whole CC will go for the field trip. So there is at least 60 kids minus a few opt out. All teacher will go, some time include the cooking and cleaning aunties.

So far never heard or saw any external vendor involved in their trip.

They also went to goat farm few months back $12/pax include transport, snack, a bottle of goat milk and goat feeding.


Then do they refund you for the days that you opt out for the excursion & need to make your own arrangements? Was it stated when you register that you need to make your own arrangements when whole school goes on excursions?

Cos for my boy's CC the excursions are optional. They still have staff at the CC to look after those who do not want to go.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby shopzz » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:14 pm

mrswongtuition wrote:
Then do they refund you for the days that you opt out for the excursion & need to make your own arrangements? Was it stated when you register that you need to make your own arrangements when whole school goes on excursions?

Cos for my boy's CC the excursions are optional. They still have staff at the CC to look after those who do not want to go.


In the consent form, we have to either sign on the participating portion or not participating portion.

In the not participating portion, it says "My child will not be participating in this field trip. We will make alternative childcare arrangement"

From experience they never do any refund. I also don't recall they mention anything related to field trip during registration.

shopzz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm
Total Likes: 5


Postby mrswongtuition » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:53 am

shopzz wrote:
mrswongtuition wrote:
Then do they refund you for the days that you opt out for the excursion & need to make your own arrangements? Was it stated when you register that you need to make your own arrangements when whole school goes on excursions?

Cos for my boy's CC the excursions are optional. They still have staff at the CC to look after those who do not want to go.


In the consent form, we have to either sign on the participating portion or not participating portion.

In the not participating portion, it says "My child will not be participating in this field trip. We will make alternative childcare arrangement"

From experience they never do any refund. I also don't recall they mention anything related to field trip during registration.

If you were not informed during registration, I don't think it's fair of them to not refund you for the day that they are not in the centre due to excursion.

How often are their excursions?

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:02 pm
Total Likes: 0


Postby shopzz » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Agreed it is not fair. All along I thought it is the standard practice in CC. Thanks for pointing out.

Recently the field trip is once per month.

I like they organize field trip. I don't mind they charge to cover their cost and even make some profit. But I don't feel right if they try to exploit us.

shopzz
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:22 pm
Total Likes: 5


Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care