I will fine you

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

I will fine you

Postby JHJC » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:38 am

When i signed my children up at the current CCC, i specifically asked if i can pick my children up latest at 7pm. They said MCYS ruiling... yes. for the last few weeks, I have been making arrangement for my children to be pick up earlier. At this CCC, 5pm and they were already the last 2. Unfortunately, today i was slightly late. At 6:15, the teacher call me, "when are you coming?"...told her someone is on the way and hang up as i was in a meeting.
I decided to call back and ask her why? she said.. ur kids are restless and wanted to go back?? please note that you will be fine $5 for 5mins if you are late/ However we will implement this after today.
I told her it was not my intention to be late and is really sorry for that.
Anyway.. just want to check if $5 for 5 mins a normal thing?

Insider, where is ur centre? maybe if its near me, i can consider to come over soon.

Postby buds » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:49 am

Yah... kinda the norm.
Cos it is supposedly to
work like a deterrent for
habitual late pick-ups.....

That said, there are cc's
who are a lil' tolerant on
this who may give and
take, especially with old
timer parents.

Most cc's will encourage
parents to come at 5pm
when the academic hours
are officially over... The
remaining waiting time,
wud be guided/free play,
or tv watching time, (etc),
depending on the cc practice

Also bear in mind that the
teacher(s) needs to do closing
duties like make sure the premise
and materials are clean for the following
day's use.. And if they hafta watch kiddies
beyond closing hours, it not only means they
have to work later without overtime pay, it also
means they can only begin cleaning up after the
final few kiddies leave the centre as it is imperative
that the kiddies no matter how few are being watched
upon. There are also teachers who hafta attend evening
lessons for upgrading purposes and will be penalized if they
are late for lessons if it happens too many a time...

I suppose JHJC, it was more to how the staff actually spoke
to you about it. The vocab and the tone used must've put you
off a bit and in turn made you feel uneasy that you just had to
call back...... just to be sure everything's cool over at the cc....

Postby Anna Ng » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:03 am

Dear JHJC:
My son's CCC also will fine $5 for 5 minutes late. This will only apply after 7pm not 5pm.

Anna Ng

Postby mintcc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:42 am

my son's cc is $1 for 1 min late..after 7.00pm...wah, I was late before and saw on the log book some parents 40 mins late...$40 fine!

our side usually still have a number of kids after 6:30
Last edited by mintcc on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby shopzz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:43 am

Same for my kid's CC, but apply after 7pm.

Normally last kid left around 6.30pm. Because a few times I went back to collect some items my kid forget to bring home and it was already closed.

Postby Funz » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:02 am

The charges seem to be the norm. Some CCs will give parents a grace period of 5mins. And sometimes, depending on your relationship with the teacher on duty and how frequent your are late, the teacher may waive the penalty.

I guess we need to also remember that these teachers also have their own families to go back to. While we will be with our kids when we pick our kids up at 6pm or 7pm, the teacher still has to complete her closing duties and make the trip home which by then could be 8pm or later when she gets home.

What I have seen are parents who are able to pick their kids up earlier but choose not to until 7pm on the dot. I have seen a father who is in home wear sitting at a nearby coffeeshop smoking and chatting with the pple there and not picking his kid up until 7pm on the dot or even after. Not just once but a few times. And another parent who will take her own sweet time cleaning up her kids using the centres facility until they are the last ones then slowly make their way out when the teachers pointedly started turning the lights off. Yes they have the rights cos, well, the centre is suppose to operate from 7am to 7pm and they have paid for that. But do spare a thought for the teachers on duty. More importantly, think about your kids, they have been there the entire day, they are hungry and they are tired as well. They are all looking forward to going home with mummy and daddy. So if you can, pick them up earlier.

Postby winth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:31 am

how come it's implemented after 5pm?

how many parents (assuming FTWM) can come before 5pm, and still sign their child up and pay full-day fees? the current pcf my boys are in dun even reprimand the parents for that. I usually come between 630-7pm depending on my workload, but they still comply to mcys regulations.

you wanna write to complain?

Postby Shera » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:18 am

Most of the centres only start the fine process with repeatedly latecoming parents arriving after 7pm, not 5pm. You may like to double with the centre in-charged for clarification. That sounds very unreasonable given to the fact that most parents need to travel after work to pick up their children and not all of them have the leisure to even knock off at 5pm!

Postby mintcc » Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:09 pm

As a FTWM, I can only leave the office at 6+ most days and I am one of first ones to leave....and have to rush like mad to pick up my kid between 6:30-7:00pm.

so for me if a childcare close at 5:pm then I may as well don't send kid to childcare...But I did visit a cc before to enquire and one of the questions I specifically asked is what time do most kids get off. And according to the PIC, most kids get off at 4:30 :!: because many of the children came from very well off family of SAHM. Decide against the cc as I don't want my kid to be the last to go everyday.

Postby sunset_dae » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:16 pm

Hey, i think JHJC is referring that she had picked up her child after 7pm today, that y school tld her gg to fine her for every $1 per min.. JHJC, correct me if im wrong.
I usually reach my son CCC at 5.45, latest 615pm, by the time i pick him up there is only 1 or 2 kids left, just glad that he is not the last one!
Sometimes, i need to work on sat, i will also bring him to the CCC, and he is the only child in the centre with 3 teachers entertaining him!

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care