Fish Oil and Pre-school Raises IQ

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Postby AceTutors123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:54 am

In a new study which examined all established findings ever made to date, it is found that the intake of fish oil and attendance of pre-school are most effective in raising the IQ of children. Supplementing pregnant women's and newborns' diet with Omega-3 could boost the IQ of children by more than 3.5 points. The attendance of pre-school may raise children's IQ by more than 4 points. The study is conducted at the New York University Steinhardt School of Culture, Education, and Human Development.

Full story on Firstpost: Diet, quality pre-school can boost kid's IQ

Have you followed a fish-oil intake regime before and put your child in pre-school? How did it turn out?!

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Fish Oil and Pre-school Raises IQ

Postby mother777 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:30 am

oh is it?
Let me quickly start giving it to my 2.5 yrs old son..
wonder if it would be still effective at this stage..anyway no harm trying..

mother777
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby AceTutors123 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:36 pm

mother777 wrote:oh is it?
Let me quickly start giving it to my 2.5 yrs old son..
wonder if it would be still effective at this stage..anyway no harm trying..

Better late than never mother777! 2.5yrs is still young =)

AceTutors123
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Carolina » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:45 pm

I have heard about the Omega 3 or fish oil theory many times. Apparently, it's old news... Some people insist that organic cod liver oil is the best, although I think the key is Omega 3, which is supposed to be supportive for the brain development.

As for pre-school, I'm a bit more skeptical, as I think it's more of the brain stimulation more than anything else. Send a child to a lousy pre-school with lazy teachers who don't bother stimulating the child and see how much higher the child's IQ is going to be. Conversely, keep a child at home with a SAHM who is very patient and good at stimulating the child (maybe even have training in childhood education) and see if this child is going to grow up having a lower IQ than a child who attends a normal pre-school.

Don't get me wrong. All I'm trying to point out is that everything has to be taken with a pinch salt and seen from different perspectives. There is no one size fits all solution, otherwise all parents just have to do the same things & all kids will have IQs of at least 150 already.

Carolina
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Imami » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:06 pm

I want to believe taking fish oil helps :rotflmao: I took fish oil at the recommendation of my gynae during my 2nd trimester and continued through the time I was breast-feeding my kid. After my kid weaned off, I gave him fish oil directly and he took them dutifully since then till today.

I read somewhere before which explained how our brain needs food too and fish oil is one of them, specifically EPA and dha, both of which are found in fish oil.

As for preschool, I tend to agree with Carolina that brain stimulation is the key. Where it is carried out is not as impt as how it is carried out or who carries it out.

Husband's nephew was a total opposite - his mum didn't take fish oil, he was not given fish oil and he was a stay at home kid till 3. I hate to say this but honestly, I don't see much diff in him and my son. My kid may be a little faster in many aspects compared to this boy but I wouldnt think that attending preschool and eating fish oil are the only reason. and most importantly, the gap between them is not significant.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby em83 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:39 pm

I think that scientifically, fish oil does help your child's brain and cells and whatnot, but I think one shouldnt just rely on fish oil, perhaps use normal and other teaching methods, to spark interest in your child to learn new things?

em83
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby chenSee » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:03 am

hmmm let me try this thing.. :)) thanks for sharing btw :D

chenSee
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care