St James or Nan Yang?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

St James or Nan Yang

Poll ended at Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:55 am

St James
67%
Nan Yang
33%

Total votes : 6

St James or Nan Yang?

Postby caracarn8 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:55 am

Hi everyone!

I have secured a place for my son in St James last month and today my wife received a call from Nan Yang Kindergarten informing us we have gotten a place as well.

I am in a dilemma. Both kindy are popular schools.

I like St James for the natural surrounding, huge play area (Swimming pool, sand bank, outdoor field) and the facts the children get to grow their own plants/fruits. It is also very near to my house.

But it will be moving to a smaller premise in Leedon in 2 years time though.

I have not been to Nan Yang Kindergarten yet but I am 100% for the full Chinese environment which I cannot provide @ home.

It is however slightly further from my house compared to St James.

In addition, I heard that my niece-in-law was not a popular figure among her friends in Nan Yang Kindergarten years back simply becos her mother did not drive a branded continental car! In fact her mother had to resort to "bribing" the snobbish kids with frequent candies/cakes treats.

Before I go and tour Nan Yang, can anyone give me some advice pls?

Any input is welcomed.

:D

caracarn8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby caracarn8 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:09 am

Anyone... pls?

caracarn8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

St James

Postby buds » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:42 am

No experience with both schools but just
wanted to give you a boost. So i'll simply
share that based on your sharings, it is
clear St James will be a nice choice. :wink:

Get your good 2 years at St James first.
Decide on another when the 2yrs are up.

Fantastic environment.
Proximity to residence.
Go for it!

PS : Have you introduced yourself to us @
the Newbies thread yet?

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caracarn8 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:01 am

Dear Buds,

Thank you so much for your reply! :D

But like I mentioned, I have not gone to Nan Yang Kindergarten yet so there is no strong reason (except for the fact that it has a long long waiting list) for me to put my son there.

I have (of cos) read thru other posts with regards to SJ & NY and was quite surprised to find out that the Principal and VP left NY recently in a hurry (yet to be confirmed) and has a high turnover with the teachers. :shock:

I spoke to one of the mother whose daughters are in NY and was told the Principal left due to health reason, in particularly due to thyroidism.

And when I mentioned to my wife that I would like to tour NY to have a feel of the place and the ambiance, she told me that it is holiday week and I won't be able to see the students in action, much less any ambiance...

But guess I would still make my way down to NY on Tuesday before I make a decision. Wednesday is the last day for registering in NY!

PS: For those who are interested, I have 2 sons, one is 29 mth old and the other one is 7 mth old. I am a lucky father to these 2 gems! Cheers! :D

caracarn8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby honeybee35 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:51 pm

Hi,

I'm also in the midst of deciding whether to put my son in K1 next year at NY.

Can anyone please provide some feedback on Nanyang kindergarten, based on their personal experience with the school and its curriculum. Thanks!

honeybee35
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schellen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 pm

honeybee35 wrote:Hi,

I'm also in the midst of deciding whether to put my son in K1 next year at NY.

Can anyone please provide some feedback on Nanyang kindergarten, based on their personal experience with the school and its curriculum. Thanks!

If you use the search function at this forum, you can find your answers faster, and easier. :) Here you go: http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/forum ... dergartern

EDIT: Oh good! You found your way there.

schellen
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby caracarn8 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:11 pm

Hi,

My wife and I finally decided to send my son to Nan Yang Kindergarten after much consideration. So off we went to NYK this afternoon to register my son for next year intake.

While my wife was busy filling up the forms and what nots, my son and I help ourselves to a quick tour to the school. Although I know he will be attending NYK in its new premise along King's road next year, it is still informative to go through the works of students such as arts & craft, calligraphy and short compositions along the corridor.

We also took delight in a beautifully constructed Koi pond in the compound and even found a rabbit sleeping under an aircon compressor.

Despite the absence of students in premise due to school holidays and lack of a guide, I am still impressed with what I have seen. However what counts is whether my son will take to the school and not my gut feel.

All said, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Cheers!

caracarn8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Nanyang Kindergarten

Postby cornucopia » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:19 am

I feel the only attraction for Nanyang Kindergarten is 100% Chinese during the first two years. When K1 onwards, u may consider to transfer yr child to another school. :cry:

It's the curriculum that matters most. New Building is a bonus. Not forgetting the school fees increased from $560- $780. And this year incresed to $1400 before GST! About 100% increase because of new building. :P

U may try to request if u are able to see their worksheets.

Good Luck. :celebrate:

cornucopia
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby caracarn8 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:07 am

Thank you, dear Cornucopia!

:D

caracarn8
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby JHJC » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:02 am

Cornucopia,
1400 school fees is for a mth or a term?

JHJC
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care