need advice mummies!

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

need advice mummies!

Postby mikecho » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:08 pm

hi all, need some advice here!

how do we actually know if the childcare is suitable for our kid?

My boy,4 yrs is currently @ Our Juniors Schoolhouse for Full day childcare programme. This school is just a few mins walk away from our place.
My boy been there for almost 2 months but he seemed very reluctant to attend school everyday. When we asked the teachers, their reply are always the same that my boy is ok, doing fine in school. I felt There isn't much communication between the parents n teachers as the teachers seemed hostile to me. Its always the same thing they would say, ' he's ok he's ok'.

I understand that this school caters more for the younger grp like playgroup and pre nursery as they have only a minimal number of nursery students and none k1/k2! Since my boy started, he has been speaking 'baby language' at home! =(

I am thinking if i should get him out of the school or should i just continue to monitor? There's another childcare that is nearby our place, The Kiddiewinkie @ newton. However its about 5-7 mins drive away.

Pls advice mummies!

mikecho
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: need advice mummies!

Postby cherrygal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:39 am

I think at 4yo+, your boy should be able to tell you why he doesn't want to go to school. Sometimes it could be fierce teachers, bullies in class or simply separation anxiety esp if he has just started attending nursery this year.

He's only been there for 2 months so I am not sure what you expect from him.

If you feel he's not doing as well as you would like, then listen to your gut feel. Get an appt to visit the other school first before making your decision. You need to be comfortable with the teachers and the environment.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:57 am

How do I know if the childcare is right for my kid?

1. Happy faces - teachers smile, kids smile
2. No screaming in the school - by teachers especially
3. No bullies, or at least good bully management by the teachers
4. The kid comes home singing rhymes, songs and recites poems etc - repeats things that the teachers taught, proof of knowledge transfer.
5. Quarterly updates of the progress of my kid - reports or meetings
6. Clean environment

The kid must be happy to go to school every day. But 2 months is too short to judge coz my kid took almost 2 months to get used to entering the gate without reluctance. Some kids can take up to 6 months!

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby happydaddy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:29 pm

No friends in school or nobody to play with? Please stay in the school and observe him from a corner. You must find the root cause.

happydaddy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasubox » Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:22 pm

Is better to have kids around his age. If there's no other K1 or K2 students, you might transfer him to another school.

kiasubox
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care