Food type and feeding routine for 19mth old at Childcare

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Food type and feeding routine for 19mth old at Childcare

Postby joajas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:32 am

Hi everyone,

Need some advice here.
I am in the process of getting my 19mth old girl in a PCF childcare.
But after getting to know abit about their routine, I am worried about the type of food that they are going to feed my baby.

They are serving mainly solid food at the childcare, but my girl rarely eats solid food. Even if she eats solid food its usually mashed up before feeding her. Furthermore the childcare lets the toddlers self feed their only serving of milk. But my girl do not really drink the milk herself, she is usually more interested in playing with the milk than drinking it.

I am worried that she might go hungry. Is it a good idea to let her go to the childcare and hope that she picks up the skills fast enough so that she wont go hungry for too long?

What can I do to make things easier for her?

joajas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Food type and feeding routine for 19mth old at Childcare

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:48 am

joajas wrote:I am worried that she might go hungry. Is it a good idea to let her go to the childcare and hope that she picks up the skills fast enough so that she wont go hungry for too long?

What can I do to make things easier for her?

Start giving her solid food and milk like the childcare at home now. Kids can eat normal table foods after 12 mths. If she is hungry, she will manage. Often, it's because their caregivers at home 'baby' them that they don't learn the skills, not because they can't. And kids will copy each other.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joajas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:08 am

Yes I agree with you, my mum is the main person looking after her. And my mum pampers her alot. Therefore my girl is quite reliant on her for many things. Plus my girl does not speak coherent words that's meaningful. Haiz...

My wife just left her job recently so I had told her to get our girl into the childcare's routine, but she's not too good with that. Plus with my mum around its kinda difficult for my wife to do things the CC way. I foresee more fights coming up in the next week before my mum leaves for her trip.

And also my girl doesn't really chew her food, and it causes her to puke out her food if it triggers her gag reflex. Is there anyway we can get her to chew her food properly?

Thanks.

joajas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:26 am

joajas wrote:Yes I agree with you, my mum is the main person looking after her. And my mum pampers her alot. Therefore my girl is quite reliant on her for many things. Plus my girl does not speak coherent words that's meaningful. Haiz...

My wife just left her job recently so I had told her to get our girl into the childcare's routine, but she's not too good with that. Plus with my mum around its kinda difficult for my wife to do things the CC way. I foresee more fights coming up in the next week before my mum leaves for her trip.

And also my girl doesn't really chew her food, and it causes her to puke out her food if it triggers her gag reflex. Is there anyway we can get her to chew her food properly?

Thanks.

My older daughter was like that too. Actually, mushy or sticky food can make it worse unless it's very watery. Try giving solids that are not mushy like rice that is dryer and small pieces of meat and veg that are not too fibrous or chewy. And just keep reminding. It's best if the child concentrates on the food too, which means no TV or toys during meals. My daughter has motor coordination problems so she had more difficulties even though I started solids with her at 12mths, but some normal kids who are given baby food too long miss the window for learning to eat solids which makes them lazy to chew.

When does your mother go on her trip? Either you convince her to let your wife take over, or you have to let it go until she leaves. It's not fair to your wife to have to deal with this unless your mother won't oppose it.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joajas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks for the advice.

My mum will be going for her trip on 3rd May. My girl will be starting childcare on 2nd May. I guess I will just have to try to convince my mum to change her method and let my wife try to get my girl used to adult food.

joajas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dora1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Actually sometimes children are a lot more adaptable then we think. My girl was a super fussy eater, takes 2 hrs for each meal with lots of coaxing before she will eat. And she will only refuse to drink formula, only BM. when she entered infant care at 15 months, she started to eat everything that they serve within 1 week. And within 2 weeks, she was drinking her formula milk, things that I have never succeeded in getting her to do at home. I must say that my girl was very lucky as the infant care was new and she was the only infant there, so she had full time attention from her teacher. But still, sometimes we just have to have faith in her teachers and just try it out. 19 month old not being able to solid food is a habit problem, unless there are associated medical issues. And she is obviously capable of holding her own milk bottle, again it's a habit issue.
Frankly, once she has settled down in CC, you will see a big change in your girl since she is over pampered by your mum now. She will be more independent and disciplined, and you will be glad of your decision. If the teachers at the CC are responsible.

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby joajas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 pm

Thanks Dora for your input. It makes me feel better to know that things are not all that bad. Today lunch is the first time for my girl to try rice, hopefully she likes the food and don't get constipated due to solid food. :)

joajas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby SAHM_TAN » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

Depending on her progress, you might want to let the cc know about your dd's situation. It's not to ask them to make special food preparation but to let them understand the reason if your dd does not take to food readily after a few wks in cc.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby joajas » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks SAHM_TAN,

I have already informed the supervisor about the situation. She says that the teachers will feed my girl till she is able to feed herself, but my girl will need to drink her milk on the own with any help.

joajas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Dora1 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:18 pm

When you or your wife accompany her to cc the 1st few days, dun immediately assume that your child can't feed herself during mealtimes. Ask her to observe the other children and encourage her to pick up the spoon and feed herself like the other "big children". Assist only if she's unwilling to try self feed. If she's eager, let her do it even though it means spilling half the bowl and end up her not eating enough. Dun worry,bits just a few days. As long as her interest is there, she will pick it up very fast.

Dora1
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care