Quality of Pre-School teachers

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Quality of Pre-School teachers

Postby chuanchuan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:41 am

My son's preschool teachers are dipolma holders. They are all unmarried and rather young. However, I find that they are not very good in handling the kids even though they have the qualification. A bit regret going to that school.

I think the best teacher will be those with children themselves, especially for pre-school teacher.

chuanchuan
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby kaitlynangelica » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:31 am

Which school are you refering to?

kaitlynangelica
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Quality of Preschool Teachers

Postby Atan » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:07 am

Most of the Teachers in my son's kindergarten are 'matured', ie around 40-50 yrs old. At first, I was a bit worried that they may be 'old fashioned' or not energetic enough to keep up with the kids But, I can see after 2 yrs plus (son now in K2) that they are v good with what they are doing and my son really enjoy going to sch everyday :D

Atan
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

does age really matters?

Postby junkfood » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:52 pm

...im just wondering if age does matter for these pre shool teachers? personally..for me i would't wanna judge the teachers based on their age or image. It is more of their knowledge and ideas that these teachers can impart that may stimulate my child's learning experience where learning can be more meaningful :D ...

junkfood
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Quality of Pre-School teachers

Postby Han Seo » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:58 pm

Teaching is a profession that is both an art and science. Teachers need a sound understanding of child development to be able to know how a young child thinks and to tailor strategies accordingly. However, knowledge alone is not sufficient. Teaching is a highly complex process that involves feelings, past experiences and personal values that are intricately linked. A good example is the discipline strategies that a teacher use, often, these are based on her personal beliefs and past experiences such as personal upbringing. Hence. A good teacher is a highly reflective teacher, one who is able to step back and reflect on her teaching and interactions with the children and ask soul searching questions. This is then translated into a change in teaching practices that arise out of personal conviction rather than demanded by the school management. Unfortunately, our teacher education training does not focus on this important aspect of teaching. It is a rushed programme focusing more on skills and knowledge rather than reflective practices. I have done many practicum supervision with preschool teachers and often, when I asked them to think about why they are doing what they are doing, they are often dumbfounded and many feel very uncomfortable when confronted with this question. I hope the power to be in the relevant govt dept pay more attention to this aspect of teacher education. It is not a numbers game where the more contents you squeeze into the programme, the better the outcome.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Quality of Pre-School teachers

Postby babyme » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:15 am

It is hard to monitor because you are not there all the time, especially these teachers know when someone is looking and so they behaved.
Old teachers are more mature and have experiences but some are attitude problems, thats why they had remained as kindergarten teachers after so many decades.
Young teachers are lack of experiences and the new generations are less tolerance to kids and patience. But some are willing to learn and go far.
It really depends how the centre recruit and how much they willing to pay. Better budget, better teachers and they less dare to play punk in their work. You also cannot blame those low budget kindergarten because they are meant for low budget and low income families. Salary in Singapore is so much higher than our neighboring countries it is very hard for business to cope.

babyme
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care