DAILY Change of Mattress Cover, Blanket & Pillow Case???

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

DAILY Change of Mattress Cover, Blanket & Pillow Case???

Postby socks » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:27 pm

Hi!
Recently, a slew of changes were introduced in my child's childcare centre. Among which is the requirement to provide a fresh set of mattress cover, blanket, pillow cover daily. May I know if this is also practiced in other childcare centres?

socks
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: DAILY Change of Mattress Cover, Blanket & Pillow Cas

Postby Fettuccine » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:51 pm

socks wrote:Hi!
Recently, a slew of changes were introduced in my child's childcare centre. Among which is the requirement to provide a fresh set of mattress cover, blanket, pillow cover daily. May I know if this is also practiced in other childcare centres?

My son who used to do childcare, requires his beddings to be changed weekly. Never heard of daily ones! So stringent, must be very clean conscious school :D

Fettuccine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby ChiefKiasu » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:55 pm

Fettuccine wrote:

My son who used to do childcare, requires his beddings to be changed weekly. Never heard of daily ones! So stringent, must be very clean conscious school :D

Yes... I applaud the school... now if only my childcare has done the same... it would have saved my daughter 2 weeks of downtime with HFMD.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby mintcc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:48 pm

my boy's childcare don't use blanket and pillow cover but we have to bring clean mattress cover and tower to school every day. cleaner and better lah.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby heyhoe » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:02 am

Mine doesn't....only weekly.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby socks » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:56 am

Frankly, I can understand the rationale behind this practice. It's just that I'm a working mom, and tired at the end of the day, so not very practical for me. Maybe, twice a week would be better.

socks
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby fo12eal » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:41 pm

It's good that they are conscious over the cleaniess of the mattress/pillows etc

My child hasn't go to the childcare center yet but I wouldn't mind if they do that religiously. Daily? Maybe a little too much. Perhaps every 3 days? which I do it at home.

I think bottom line is the place must be clean, (childcare center got to make sure they clean the place everyday?) otherwise whats the point of having clean mattress and pillow case?

fo12eal
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: DAILY Change of Mattress Cover, Blanket & Pillow Case???

Postby straffan23 » Wed May 08, 2013 4:35 pm

My children's childcare requires this when there is an HFMD outbreak. The reality is that in SG weather, unless they get to sleep in aircond (even then!), they tend to sweat. I suppose it is much more hygenic. Having said that, I am also a FTWM and I realise the chore of washing everything everyday. What you could do is to hang them up to air instead of washing. Just pack it back the next morning.

straffan23
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nms1 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:06 pm

My boys' school also requires it but we just bring the mattress cover and blanket home each day then take it back the next day. We wash only at the weekends.

I don't change their bedsheets at home every day so why is it necessary for school? I don't think any of us FTWM or SAHM wants to wash every day or buy multiple sets of everything.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Thu May 09, 2013 12:26 pm

It is a good practise especially since young kids drool and perspire all over the covers when they sleep. Parents are encouraged to provide a fresh set everyday and as much as possible the centre discourages pillows and blankets.

In most cases, the centre is mopped twice a day, toilets washed at least twice a day as well. Mattresses are disinfected daily. And most centres use disinfecting detergents. The frequency of cleaning is definitely much higher than in most homes. But that has to be the case given that traffic is much higher as well.

In such cases, understand that the centre is trying to maintain a certain level of hygiene for the sake of the children. Life will be a lot easier for the staff if they allow the covers to be used for an entire week and they don't even bother to remove the covers from the mattresses at the end of each day.

If you really are unable to provide a fresh set everyday, at least bring it out to air and maybe spray some disinfectant on it before packing it into the bags again.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care