Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Did student care center close during excursion

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Re: Did student care center close during excursion

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:29 pm

nms1 wrote:Childcare centres are only allowed to close for 7 days each year and you must be given two month's notice. The only way they should close for excursion is if they include it as one of those 7 days and give you the appropriate notice. If not, you can complain to MCYS.

Good point. But they can argue that they are not officially "closed" as they are indeed looking after the kids, but at a different venue.

ChiefKiasu
Site Admin

Postby nms1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Sorry misread the question!

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby loveeveryday » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:40 pm

CC not supposed to close during excursion days. I read before in the regulations online. You can remind them of their obligation to stay open, apart from the 7 days a year.

During excursion days, the operator will prefer that all kids can go excursion because if 1 kid stay behind means a teacher must stay back too. And most schs are usually already tight on manpower so they might also try to persuade parents to tag along the excursions.

loveeveryday
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby awesomepawsome » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:45 am

Pen88n wrote:Not right. The student care should cater to all students going / not going to the excursion as it is not a closing day for the student care. My kids student care will have some teachers accompany kids to go for excursion and for those kids not going, they will stay behind with some teachers. Usually the ones staying behind will have nothing much to do - teacher may allow them to read or watch TV or do some activity (like art and craft) on their own.

If this is the case, what if only 15 kids wanna go for the excursion and the rest dont want? Will the excursion cost be higher because fewer kids go but they still have to rent bus etc?

awesomepawsome
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby SuperMumSuperTeacher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:52 pm

ChiefKiasu wrote:
Pen88n wrote:Not right. The student care should cater to all students going / not going to the excursion as it is not a closing day for the student care. My kids student care will have some teachers accompany kids to go for excursion and for those kids not going, they will stay behind with some teachers. Usually the ones staying behind will have nothing much to do - teacher may allow them to read or watch TV or do some activity (like art and craft) on their own.

I agree. Excursions should be optional and kids not attending the event should be given the choice to continue normal childcare activities. However, this is entirely a business decision of the childcare centres. I don't think there is any regulation covering this.

You have a point. With some excursions, i am sure there are minimum numbers to be met. ie. Science workshops or Art & Craft classes. If the minimum numbers are not met, should the centre back out from the programme? Or should the centre still proceed and pay for it and then share the extra costs among those pupils who chooses to stay in the centre? Student care centres run a business too. They are people who wants to make money. Suffering a loss while organising an excursion is not something anybody in the right mind will do.

Which means that they would rather not organise excursions at all. Get the kids to stay in the centre everyday during their holidays. If it were my kids, they will be bored stiff i assure you.

Let the kids go out and have some fun! Learn things that cannot be learnt from their textbooks. See what a spore looks like and how we get clean water in Singapore!

SuperMumSuperTeacher
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby SuperMumSuperTeacher » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:53 pm

awesomepawsome wrote:

If this is the case, what if only 15 kids wanna go for the excursion and the rest dont want? Will the excursion cost be higher because fewer kids go but they still have to rent bus etc?

Exactly my point!

SuperMumSuperTeacher
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Previous

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres