Chrageable Program by Child Care Operator

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Do you agree for childcare operator to offer additional chargable program?

Yes
50%
No
50%

Total votes : 4

Chrageable Program by Child Care Operator

Postby cancarrot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:58 pm

Hi All Daddies & Mummies,
Do you agree for childcare operator to offer additional chargable program on top of the existing curriculum? Should or should not the school fees be fixed?
Does your DD/DS child care center offer additional chargeable program?
Will you enroll for the chargeable program by the child care operator?

cancarrot
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Chrageable Program by Child Care Operator

Postby SAHM_TAN » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:10 pm

When dd1 was in childcare, there was additional chargeable programme. I let her attend becos otherwise she would be playing with other kids who opt out.

For my younger kids kiddy there are chargeable programme too. The classes are held before their normal classes and they will go kindy earlier if they are attend the programmes. Ds attend only 1 such programme. The fees is reasonable and the tr is good. I'm ok to pay for the programme becos the trs are not trained in carrying out those programmes.

SAHM_TAN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cancarrot » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:27 pm

Seem like chargeable program is a trend by child care operator. I asked around, most of the child care offered chargeable program during class hours.

cancarrot
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby heyhoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 am

Ds3 childcare offers external programmes which are chargeable too. This range from art class, latin dance, chinese speech and drama plus computer class. The class is held during the afternoon.

I didn't sign Ds3 up partly because I do not think it is necessary. The the course fee is not cheap and the operator is not that I know of.

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cancarrot » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:03 pm

That's quite a lot of external prog offered. DS childcare offered external prog which are chargeable during childcare hours.
I was wondering, shouldn't the school fixed their school fees, and not offer chargeable external prog? If there is a need for the school to offer chargeable external prog, personally feel it should not be during childcare hours.
Having the feel of, the childcare are indirectly increasing the school fees. As mostly, most of the children will enroll into the external prog and those who did not enroll will do nothing or wonder why they are not with their friends in the classes.

cancarrot
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby heyhoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi cancarrot,

Yes, I agree. In fact, some of the courses offered seem to prepare the kids for their Year End rehersal.

I know it is tough for my ds3 as most of his friends attend and he doesn't. However, I don't believe that he should attend for the sake of scared, being left out. I took the opportunity to explain to him that this is not necessary, as we've other enrichment for him that we feel are more important. Eg. swimming and piano which we reserved for him during the weekend.

We also encourage him to bring story book so that he can read to his friends, who didn't attend the enrichment. This is with the teacher's understanding of course.

Cheers,

heyhoe
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby cancarrot » Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:50 am

Hi heyhoe,
Agreed with you. Just hope that it will not form as a trend in all childcare.

Just to share,
Checked with MSF, operator offering optional prog have a guideline to follow. Optional prog are only during 4-6pm. And for children who are not attending the prog, there should be teacher carrying out classes (as class schedule) as usual.
And the staffs from MSF mentioned, the daily prog offered by operator are comprehensive and thus optional prog are not necessary, but only an option for parents. Providing alternative, so parent can send children to one place and have all activities/courses under one roof.

cancarrot
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby nms1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:25 am

I think it's OK as long as it is at the end of the day and they are given something else to do if they opt out.

My childrens' childcare used to have speech and drama as an optional programme but it was so popular they have now incorporated it into the main curriculum so I think they were using the optional classes as a testing ground. Now they have art classes as an optional programme.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Imami » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:13 am

My kid's cc offers 4 external enrichment programs - 3 chargeable (eng speech and drama and 2 sports related prog) and 1 foc program (foc only for this year and it is a sports program). I enrol my kid in all of them - speech and drama at the request of hubby. The rest of the sports related program for my kid's well being (as a channel to let him release his high energy level).

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:19 am

Despite what I said earlier I think four programmes is too much. For those who are not joining the teachers can't cover an "real" work as the others would miss out so I'm sure most of the time they just end up playing.

I think once a week is enough.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care