should i withdraw

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

should i withdraw

Postby Nihauma » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:47 pm

i need some opinions and advice. i just enrolled my 18 mth the in a cc. it has just been 2 days. I accompanied her for 2 half days already. the thing is my gut tells me that this is not the one. should i follow my gut or should i give the cc more chance?

changing her to another cc would mean delaying my start work which i am not sure is possible.

but continuing this just because i need to start work seems wrong. but i am afraid i am being biased by my heartache of sending my girl to school.

this is what i observed.
most of the teachers seem to have no passion. they are just doing their job. faces black black. usually they are just stern to the kids. they are doing their job but with no enthusiasm.
one teacher always bribes the children with chocolate to get them to behave.

do i want my child to grow up in this environment which i am sure given time she will get accustomed to or should i change to one i feel right?

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: should i withdraw

Postby glass » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:03 pm

Since you can't find alternative arrangement and need to go back to work, then just let your child continue there while you look for another sch ASAP. Some costs might be incurred - registration, uniform etc, but it is the best I can think.

I'm very shocked the teacher gave chocolate to bribe such young kids.

glass
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby jjxy mum » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:44 pm

Nihauma wrote:i need some opinions and advice. i just enrolled my 18 mth the in a cc. it has just been 2 days. I accompanied her for 2 half days already. the thing is my gut tells me that this is not the one. should i follow my gut or should i give the cc more chance?

changing her to another cc would mean delaying my start work which i am not sure is possible.

but continuing this just because i need to start work seems wrong. but i am afraid i am being biased by my heartache of sending my girl to school.

this is what i observed.
most of the teachers seem to have no passion. they are just doing their job. faces black black. usually they are just stern to the kids. they are doing their job but with no enthusiasm.
one teacher always bribes the children with chocolate to get them to behave.

do i want my child to grow up in this environment which i am sure given time she will get accustomed to or should i change to one i feel right?

Hi,
Both my DS and DD went to cc when they are 18mth old. Most of the teachers are strict (Black face) except 1-2 more friendly. Usually, teachers will tend to give some sweets or Choco for their good work or behaviors. To my children, is a kind of 'reward' . My DD got more 'reward' as she could produce nicer work than DS
For me, I am more concerned on the cc environment, hygience and location as my children spent up to 12 hrs in that center. Sometimes, I would drop by earlier (4pm) to see what are children doing after their nap time. I also communicate with the principal whenever I found something that was not right.

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Nihauma » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:32 pm

reward for children is fine with me occasionally. even i do that sometimes. but this teacher whips out her chocolate every time to get the children to do something. like after throwing tantrum, give a chocolate and tell him don't throw tantrum. the kids not listening...tell the children i will give you chocolate if you to this. like this is her only method of controlling the children. just before lunch after a lesson i saw all children with chocolate on their mouths!

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby TheAnswer » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Nihauma wrote:reward for children is fine with me occasionally. even i do that sometimes. but this teacher whips out her chocolate every time to get the children to do something. like after throwing tantrum, give a chocolate and tell him don't throw tantrum. the kids not listening...tell the children i will give you chocolate if you to this. like this is her only method of controlling the children. just before lunch after a lesson i saw all children with chocolate on their mouths!

Giving treats is never going to solve the root of the problem. It may condition the child to cry when they want a piece of chocolate. I would try to withdraw my child from this center if I had a choice.

In the tuition center where I work, I noticed this teacher giving her bunch of K2 students treats every week. They get lollipops, Swiss chocolates, one bag of chips per student etc. The first time I saw it, I told the teacher it's not the way to go. Kids will come expecting something. But she said it was her teaching aid.. Fair enough..let it go.. Week after week different treats.. I just couldn't stand the way she gets them to behave by giving them treats..

TheAnswer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nms1 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:25 am

If you don't feel comfortable for whatever reason, even if you don't know what it is, then you know the answer.

As someone else suggested, if you really need her to be in CC so that you can start work then leave her there for now and in the meantime look for somewhere else.

nms1
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby glass » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:12 pm

If they are going to spend the whole day at childcare without brushing their teeth, and have lots of sweets and chocolates, they may end up with cavities.

Like pavlov's dog, they will also learn to misbehave just to get the treat, rather than be on best behaviour to earn the treat.

glass
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby Nihauma » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 am

just to update i did withdraw....as nms 1 said..i already knew the answer...n i managed to get a few more weeks extension to my work start date....so i will hunt carefully for the next cc. hope everything goes well. thanks all for the replies.

Nihauma
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby glass » Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:39 pm

Hope you can find one soon.

glass
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby lyra » Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:13 pm

My son's cc gave Stickers which the kids love as well, n it's a "healthier choice". I dun like the part abt stern teachers n look like they have no passion, bcoz I saw a cc nearby whose teachers r like that n I pity the kids. Should trust ur gut feeling or maybe u can take a walk ard other cc n compare the teachers n the environment n see if ur child's cc really is not up to the usual standard.

lyra
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care