Holidays for infant/child care centres

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Holidays for infant/child care centres

Postby nhl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:33 pm

What are the days that your infant care center is closed? When I signed up at Babies Inc they told me that the operate all weekdays except PH. I explicitly asked about days like teacher days and childrens day. They told me the center will only close one day annualy for some celebration.

However, now I am suprised to find that childrens day, some day in November and now again a few days around Christmas and New Years Eve that they decided to close. The half days before days like Christmas, CNY and NYE are ok, but 30-Dec, 30-Nov and 01-Oct mean that I need to take leave to take care of my child.

According to them they are allowed to alocate 5 days in a year.....

I wonder now how other child care centers do this? Do they also close every now and then?

nhl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Holidays for infant/child care centres

Postby clumsyMum » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:49 pm

nhl wrote:What are the days that your infant care center is closed? When I signed up at Babies Inc they told me that the operate all weekdays except PH. I explicitly asked about days like teacher days and childrens day. They told me the center will only close one day annualy for some celebration.

However, now I am suprised to find that childrens day, some day in November and now again a few days around Christmas and New Years Eve that they decided to close. The half days before days like Christmas, CNY and NYE are ok, but 30-Dec, 30-Nov and 01-Oct mean that I need to take leave to take care of my child.

According to them they are allowed to alocate 5 days in a year.....

I wonder now how other child care centers do this? Do they also close every now and then?

yes, this is true...MCYS allowed childcare centre to close 5 days in a year for training, house kepping and etc reason. They are allowed to close on PH and teachers/children days....

clumsyMum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: Holidays for infant/child care centres

Postby nhl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:03 pm

clumsyMum wrote:yes, this is true...MCYS allowed childcare centre to close 5 days in a year for training, house kepping and etc reason. They are allowed to close on PH and teachers/children days....

Well, allowed is one thing, using it is a second. When I am paying $1800 per month I am expecting a bit more service then the minimum legally required. In a way it is like MC, I am legally allowed to take 14 days MC a year and some people indeed will take this.

That's why I was wondering if this is the case everywhere that they really use up the five days that is allowed by MCYS.

nhl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post subject: Re: Holidays for infant/child care centres

Postby NASCANS » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:46 pm

Yes, its true. Almost all centres are now doing this. They use the off days to train their staff or just to give them off days. This is quite a common situation now.

Its best to get a letter from them on the closure days when you register. This will be binding in the event they add more days.

NASCANS
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby buds » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 pm

Use "given" instead of "allowed". :wink:

5 days for the individual centre to play around with and
with the actual 5 dates chosen for the year, it should be
notified to parents in advance upon registration.... which
should include full dress concert rehearsals or training
workshops and such. As teachers in CCs work shifts,
training days are acceptable as it would be the best
day to get all the staff together at one sitting. Training is
also a good thing. In the early childhood industry, where
there are once too often many changes to the regulations,
practices and even curriculum revamps... (and not to mention
manpower too!), training sessions are helpful.

This also translates to better informed front desk staff and
teaching staff as to the latest within the centre/industry.

All that said, SGD $1800.00 is a helluva lot of moolahs to pay
for one child! :shock:

buds
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby nhl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:26 pm

According to this link they can allocate even more days then they do now. The eve's of Christmas, CNY and NYE are half days anyway, on top of that they are allowed to add 5.5 days.

http://app.mcys.gov.sg/web/faml_nurture ... arectr.asp

nhl
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:50 pm

My boy's previous CCC states very clearly in November of the previous year the planned schools holidays (Children's Day, Teacher's Day, Staff Training Day, etc). Eg. In Nov of 2008, I already knew the dates the CCC is not open for 2009. Similarly for 2010, they released the dates in November 2009.

The dates are pinned up at the entrances of the CCC and teachers remind the parents verbally around 1-2 weeks in advance. Even for PH they'll also remind us.

If they have to close, it's good that they inform parents way beforehand. For some parents, they'll make use of that timing to bring the kids for a holiday too.

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care