[Central] Preschools

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

[Central] Preschools

Postby lanawee » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:11 am

Title: School near The Bencoolen?

We used to live in Singapore, until we moved to Houston last year. Now my husband will be stationed back to Singapore from Sep 2008 to Mar 2009. We are looking for decent schools near The Bencoolen apt.

We have 6 yo daughter and 3 yo son. We are Singaporean, of Chinese descent, but hardly speak Chinese at home. My daughter shall attend K2 in 2008 and P1 in Jan - Mar 2009. Also looking for nursery class for my son. Child care is also ok.

As we will only be here for a short period, I don't hope for a place in popular schools. Just schools where the teachers are caring and nurturing, not stressing rigidly on academic performance. Of course, not until 'bo chap' level... :)

A map proximity search gets me these schools below. Any comments on any of them? If you know any other decent ones nearby, I will appreciate the info as well.

- Stamford Primary

- St Margaret Primary (I have read reviews on St Margaret in another forum. Sounds good, worry may not be able to get a place though.)

- Hong Wen School (very high std in Chinese? My daughter may not be able to keep up.)

- Farrer Park Primary

- Life Church Kindergarten/Childcare at Prinsep St

- PCF Kampong Glam Rochor Rd

- PCF Kampong Glam Crawford Ln

- PCF Jalan Besar

- Kampong Kapor Methodist Church Kindergarten

- Foochow Methodist Church Kindergarten (already using St James Church's curriculum? This sounds good, too.)

Many, many thanks in advance.

Re: [Central] School near The Bencoolen?

Postby ChiefKiasu » Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:53 pm

Hi Lana,

For school, I think you should go for St. Margaret's, given the lack of foundation in Chinese. However, you will not have a chance there in 2009 since St. Margaret's is already 100% filled after Phase 2C this year. Hong Wen is out of the question. Your only viable solutions for Phase 3 are:
Stamford Primary and Farrer Park Primary

These 2 schools are quite similar in most aspects. Go for the nearer one.

Site Admin

Re: [Central] School near The Bencoolen?

Postby shadowplay » Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:49 am

ayh... Jan - Mar 2009, that's 3 months only, just go for the nearest...

But then what... return to States? Why subject your child to local primary education system if she's here only for 3 months? I would have thought that registering her in an International School running syllabus in line with her long term education plan would probably do her more good. :roll:

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care