Should we lower the training of infant care teachers?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Should we lower the training of infant care teachers?

Postby Han Seo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:00 pm

It was reported in the papers this week that some MPs have requested that the training of infant care teachers be lowered due to the manpower shortage. The idea is to recruit housewives who are likely to baulk at the idea of going back to school. Currently infant care educators must attain a certificate in infant care.

I wonder how low can we lower the training? Current research has indicated the importance of the first few years of life in laying the foundation for later years. What are the implications if we lower the training for infant care teachers? if we lower the training further, how will it be different from engaging any babysitter in your neighbourhood?

As parents, what are your view?

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Should we lower the training of infant care teachers?

Postby slmkhoo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:51 pm

I don't have infants now, so it's an academic question for me. I guess it really depends on what the training is - if it's English and Maths, then I would say forget it. If it's hygiene and child development, then I would want them trained, but maybe it can be delivered and assessed in a way that is more acceptable? I can understand that older people may not want to sit through lectures or take tests. Also, there are many soft skills that matter more in infant care than academic qualifications - how can they be assessed? My illiterate mil was a much better caregiver for infants than my university graduate mother, so can we devise a way to identify the better ones even if they don't have qualifications?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Should we lower the training of infant care teachers?

Postby sembgal » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:21 pm

If the MPs suggest qualification is going to be lowered, will the MP propose lowering the cost of infant care? Infant care fee is so much more than child care fee. If qualification is going to be lowered, a parent might as well engage a private nanny to take care the bb with one to one ratio compared to infant care ratio 1: 6 or 1: 4? Please correct me on the teacher to infant ratio if I'm wrong.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care