Foreign Childcare teacher

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Foreign Childcare teacher

Postby nettie » Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:57 pm

Dear all,

Have you come across Filipino teachers teaching English in N1 or N2?

Any feedback?

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Han Seo » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:55 pm

I'm in the preschool industry. Here's my take on Filipinos and China nationals as preschool teachers but please remember this is just a generalization and not all of them are alike:

Filipinos can sing and dance well. For the Chinese nationals, I believe back in China, part of their preschool training requires them to master a musical instrument and to be able to sing, dance and draw. These skills are a great asset when it comes to working with young children. Our local teachers lack skills in these areas.

Attitude wise, it boils down to individual teachers.

Han Seo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby nettie » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:55 pm

thank you for your feedback..

any parents do come across? any feedback?

nettie
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby fav_giraffe » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:52 pm

My ds n1 English teacher is from Philippines and Chinese teacher from China. He is now in N2 this year. They are very loving and caring. My ds absolutely love them. :D

We have no problem communicating with them too.

fav_giraffe
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mrswongtuition » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Han Seo wrote:I'm in the preschool industry. Here's my take on Filipinos and China nationals as preschool teachers but please remember this is just a generalization and not all of them are alike:

Filipinos can sing and dance well. For the Chinese nationals, I believe back in China, part of their preschool training requires them to master a musical instrument and to be able to sing, dance and draw. These skills are a great asset when it comes to working with young children. Our local teachers lack skills in these areas.

Attitude wise, it boils down to individual teachers.

Totally agree.

My son loved his Chinese teacher at his previous CCC.
At his current school, the teacher is also from China and he is picking up Mandarin very quickly. He surprised us by being able to sing a whole song in Mandarin and reading from flashcards (I only did English flashcards with him, never Chinese, so it's an amazement).

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

foreign teachers

Postby rr1975 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 pm

all ,

this trend is quite worrying , let the Chinese teach Mandarin , the Brits teach English & i am confident that our next generation can take on the world . Having someone from the Phillipines teach English is a big NO NO - however they could teach Spanish instead .

rr1975
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby HONEY BUNCH » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Hi Peeps,

My take on this is wherever you are from, Philippines, China or Singapore, your attitude boils down to the kind of teacher you are. I think recruitment of other nations is partly due to the shortfall of local preschool teachers, low pay and the workload as seen in other sectors.

Sama sama...aniwaes..it takse someone with lots of passion to be a good preschool teacher. not everyone will have it.

N yes I would rather have a local or expat English teacher then a Filipino one..as hey you dun want your child to pick up Singlish but would you rather let them pick up Filipino's way of speaking English?

HONEY BUNCH
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby jumping_gene » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:26 pm

filipinos nowadays do not speak spanish at all. i don't see a problem having english teachers that are filipino. they use grammatically correct english (which isn't necessarily true of native speakers) since english is the medium of instruction in the philippines. they do spell some words differently as they use american spelling rather than british spelling (color instead of colour, favorite instead of favourite, etc..) but i'm sure that for the highly educated ones that land teaching positions here in singapore, that shouldn't pose a problem as they can easily adapt. they might have a different accent, but that is not necessarily bad. i would rather have a filipino accent than say, irish or american ala hannah montana accent. and besides, i think accents are also influenced by the home environment as well.

for me, what's more important is how they interact with the children. at an early age, i think it's more important for my child to have cheerful, friendly and compassionate teachers. as for academic qualification, i'm sure the MYCS or MOE will not allow them to work here if they were not qualified.

jumping_gene
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby autumnbronze » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:14 pm

My DS was in a parent accompanied holiday programme for only a week last yr June.

The teacher was a Filipino.

She was EXCELLENT with class management and knew all the kids' names and never failed to make each kid feel comfortable in the class.

Suffice to say, her teaching/delivery skills also surpassed my expectation. She did not have a strong filipino accent.

My DS enjoyed her 1 and a half hrs of 1 week holiday session so much that until today, he still asks for "teacher XXX".

That is how much of an impact/impression she had left, ... in him.

I rest my case ... :D

autumnbronze
Councillor
Councillor

Postby jumping_gene » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:13 am

insider: may i ask which preschool you refer to as having filipino teachers? i'm currently looking for a preschool for my daughter; perhaps there is one in my area. if you'd rather not mention publicly, perhaps you can send me a PM? thanks!

jumping_gene
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care