MY World (operated by Metropolitan YMCA)

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

MY World (operated by Metropolitan YMCA)

Postby loveeveryday » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:22 pm

Any thoughts on this school?

I'm thinking of placing my girls in the new branch (boon keng) near my house but need some insights into the teachers, the sch culture. Anyway here is my review of boon Keng branch:

Amenities: located in void deck area. non Aircon. Newly opened so sch is bright and airy. Windows are kept open so public can view the going-ons anytime. No playground or water play area inside. Teachers will have to bring the kids to the void deck to play.

Surroundings: construction of new bto just next to it so it might get noisy or dusty.

Staff: principal is a temp one from another branch. During the orientation the teachers were not confirmed yet so couldn't really make a good judgement. The teachers on orientation day were from other branches and they seem pretty quiet to be honest.

Fees: $749 and add on $50+ if you want enrichment like speech and drama. I thought anchor operators have a fee cap of $720. Don't know why they can charge $749.

Culture: they seem quite resistant to change, I suggested some things to them but the feeling I got was they get defensive and didn't really take heed of my suggestions. A bit of a brush off feeling.

Hope to hear more reviews.

loveeveryday
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: MY World (operated by Metropolitan YMCA)

Postby fea » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:12 am

hello there.

I hope to hear more reviews about this school too.

I visited the school recently & met with the principal. Overall impression is generally okay. The less than positive parts personally will be the non air con environment (warm & humid?), bringing the children out of the school compound (safety issues) & teachers (because I did not manage to speak to any).

There is only the PG class now with all the 9 teachers they have deployed to take care. N1 will be starting mid of next month. & what I understand is that the N1 class for this year is almost filled up.

fea
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby reallykiasuparents » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 pm

i also would like to hear any feedback too.

reallykiasuparents
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mamalim » Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm also interested in hearing about some feedback on this new branch. I just emailed them about available vacancies for PG and if I could pay a visit.

Sounds like they're not that settled yet but since it's "established", some level of standards is to be expected?

Will post my observations but appreciate if any other parents have any feedback.

I've had bad experiences with other centres and am very wary now. Also don't want to keep changing schools.

mamalim
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby sembgal » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:02 pm

loveeveryday wrote:Any thoughts on this school?

I'm thinking of placing my girls in the new branch (boon keng) near my house but need some insights into the teachers, the sch culture. Anyway here is my review of boon Keng branch:

Amenities: located in void deck area. non Aircon. Newly opened so sch is bright and airy. Windows are kept open so public can view the going-ons anytime. No playground or water play area inside. Teachers will have to bring the kids to the void deck to play.

Surroundings: construction of new bto just next to it so it might get noisy or dusty.

Staff: principal is a temp one from another branch. During the orientation the teachers were not confirmed yet so couldn't really make a good judgement. The teachers on orientation day were from other branches and they seem pretty quiet to be honest.

Fees: $749 and add on $50+ if you want enrichment like speech and drama. I thought anchor operators have a fee cap of $720. Don't know why they can charge $749.

Culture: they seem quite resistant to change, I suggested some things to them but the feeling I got was they get defensive and didn't really take heed of my suggestions. A bit of a brush off feeling.

Hope to hear more reviews.

You pay so much for non-aircon classrooms? Ideally preschools be it kindergartens or childcare should be air-conditioned totally. If there is bad haze, at least the children do not need to breathe in the polluted air. Moreover the weather in Singapore is so humid. How much will it cost to install air-conditioner? I mean realistically parents have the right to feedback to request management for air-con classrooms in preschools. It could be any preschool, not just this school.

sembgal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby rjdaddy » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:40 am

Hello.

We just enrolled DD in N2 at Myworld in Tampines St 41, only 4 in her class so far.. lol, small group.

She had been at LSH in Tampines for PG and N1 but we had to move her so that it is easy for granny to pick her-just across the carpark :p

I do like the non-aircon coz at LSH, it was fully aircon and illness like HFMD and Stomach Flu are quite common in a year due to that. The myworld centre is well ventilated so not too bad, DD does not sleep in aircon room at home every night so she is quite fine with it.

Today is her first day so let me monitor and share.

rjdaddy
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby Fedycl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:33 am

Hi Mummies, I am new to this thread. I am planning to enroll my 2013 daughter in My World Preschool at Bishan Blk 171. May I know if any of your kids is in this centre already? Any feedback on this centre? I'm planning to start her in June 2015. Your feedback and advice is very much appreciated.

I have went down to the school and spoke to the in charge on the enrollment matter. Overall the school looks clean and the staff is friendly but didn't get the chance to speak to the teachers see the kids as I went down around 6+ in the evening and most of the kids are back home.

One thing that I am not very satisfied is the centre is non air conditioned. Which I'm afraid when the weather is bad like haze the kids will have to inhale this bad weather. But I do like the centre overall.

Any feedback?

Fedycl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:36 am

My kids are from other My World centre. But I am totally fine with non air-conditioned environment as it is airy enough. Contagious diseases don't spread as much & kids don't hav cough & flu as easily compared to previously when they were in air-conditioned preschool. Furthermore, the centre where my kids are in will close the windows & use portable air-cond when there is haze.
I like their emphasis on character building & teaching of good values.

schen
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Fedycl » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:57 am

Hi mummies thank you for your advice. Actually when I'm there I do feel it is quite airy and cool. Basically I'm only concern when there is haze. Since you mention about the portable aircon, I think I saw it when I'm at the centre. Guess they will use it when the weather is bad as what you mentioned.

How long have your kid been in this centre? May I ask which area is ur kids place?

Fedycl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby schen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 am

Fedycl wrote:Hi mummies thank you for your advice. Actually when I'm there I do feel it is quite airy and cool. Basically I'm only concern when there is haze. Since you mention about the portable aircon, I think I saw it when I'm at the centre. Guess they will use it when the weather is bad as what you mentioned.

How long have your kid been in this centre? May I ask which area is ur kids place?

Ds1 has been there since N1 & graduated, ds2 in K2 this year. In woodlands.
Not sure abt branch in other areas, but for woodlands branch, most of the teachers hav been here for very long, low teacher turnover.

schen
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care