Home or After School Care?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Home or After School Care?

Postby mummyJune » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:57 am

my son will be in P1 next yr. He will also be in the same school as his 2 older cousins (P2 & P3). Currently the 2 older cousins are being looked after by the grandparents(my inlaws). Since my child will also be in the same school as his cousins next yr, my husband told his parents to also look after our child, together with the 2 cousins. I had suggested my son to enrol in the student care within the school as i know my son will not do his homework at my inlaw place, & also there's no proper table/chair for my son to study too. Plus my inlaws does not know how to coach them in their homework, usually the cousins come home they just play their ipad/watch tv all the way to bedtime.

Im in a dilemma. If my son goes student care, got pros & cons, go back inlaw house also got pros & cons.

Sign...what should i do?
All advise will be appreciated.

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Home or After School Care?

Postby Mama123 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:51 am

My boy was in P1 last year. Stayed at home with his grandmother for 2 terms. Homework given by me always not completed and rush to do and watch TV the rest of the time till go to school time. Always call me to say nothing to do.

Couldn't take it and send him to student care in term 3. Didn't regret my decision. Spelling and ting Xie all taken care of. The student care teachers also ensures they do some homework, reading time before playtime. They even practised their show n tell session with them when he's assessed in school. At least he is occupied there and he enjoys the company y of the students there.

Mama123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby mummyJune » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:58 am

Mama123 wrote:My boy was in P1 last year. Stayed at home with his grandmother for 2 terms. Homework given by me always not completed and rush to do and watch TV the rest of the time till go to school time. Always call me to say nothing to do.

Couldn't take it and send him to student care in term 3. Didn't regret my decision. Spelling and ting Xie all taken care of. The student care teachers also ensures they do some homework, reading time before playtime. They even practised their show n tell session with them when he's assessed in school. At least he is occupied there and he enjoys the company y of the students there.

OK, sounds good to me on student care. But how about your boy's lunch? Does all student care provide lunch?
my colleague's boy was in student care & told my colleague their lunch only 1 packet chicken rice shared by 4 students!

mummyJune
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Mama123 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:24 am

mummyJune wrote:
Mama123 wrote:My boy was in P1 last year. Stayed at home with his grandmother for 2 terms. Homework given by me always not completed and rush to do and watch TV the rest of the time till go to school time. Always call me to say nothing to do.

OK, sounds good to me on student care. But how about your boy's lunch? Does all student care provide lunch?
my colleague's boy was in student care & told my colleague their lunch only 1 packet chicken rice shared by 4 students!

Omg!! How can they?

The centre provided breakfast n lunch as he's in afternoon session. On days he's there full day due to no school, they provided tea break too. But have to pay add $8 per day for full day service.

You have to go down to the centre n take a look at the centre facilities as well as nature of students. I have ever seen one near my ds's school where most children go to. It's under void deck n I find that the settings is classroom style. Meaning the children seems to be just sitting there most of the time to do their work or chit chat with friends. Don't like that.

Mama123
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby momkiasu » Fri May 15, 2015 2:36 pm

Hi mummyJune, school care seems like a better option in your situation. Or what I may suggest is to enroll him for a term or so, and observe how your child fare in school academic progress and overall wellbeing. One of the major problems for after school care service, will be the peer influence by the older students at the centre. If the teachers are not strict enough in terms of disciplinary matters, students may be easily influenced (speaking vulgarities / card trading etc). I may not want to expose my child in too much of these at a tender age. With a mix group of students at different age, over long hours daily, is inevitable.. Hence, the culture / disciplinary actions taken at the centre will play an important factor on my decision.

momkiasu
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chiaki » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm

I understand from my friend that student care is only for lower primary.

Is it true? Is it that only his centre offer till P3 or all student care are for up till P3 only?

chiaki
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Ikid » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:09 pm

Usually student care give priority to lower primary as the upper primary usually will have CCA, hence, tends to stay in school on more days. Also the lower primary needs adults' supervision more than the upper primary.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Pen88n » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm

Most student care caters from lower to upper primary, but the upper primary numbers may be lesser as by then, most have CCAs, tuitions, or have become independent enough to go home on their own, etc. It is quite normal that there are many more lower primary students than upper primary ones in the student care.

Pen88n
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Hyacinth » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi may I know which student care you sent you kid to? I having problem in looking for a good student care, three teachers taking care of 60+ children. I can't imagine how they going to take care my kid.

Hyacinth
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby shiki05 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:38 pm

i'm dissapointed that this thread only has a few replies. i'm in the same situation. my girl will be going to Pri 1 next year. I wonder also what are the pros and cons of sending kids to student care? Other than staying at home with grandparents, basically watch tv or play whole afternoon, are there other options? maybe home based student care? does any one have the experience of sending them to one?

shiki05
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care