PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
Post Reply
nimezs
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Mar 11,

PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by nimezs » Tue May 05, 2015 10:22 am

Hi

Does anyone here knows if there's any difference between a PCF Kindergarden, MOE Kindergarden and those private Kindergarden? What is the difference? and which is better in preparation for them to go to Primary one? Any feedback or experience to share?

samantha_wong
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Dec 20,
Total Likes:1

PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by samantha_wong » Tue May 05, 2015 12:19 pm

There are no MOE kindergardens.

Ikid
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Posts: 835
Joined: Tue Aug 07,
Total Likes:21

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by Ikid » Tue May 05, 2015 12:33 pm

Quote from MOE website
"11. What is the difference between the curriculum in the MOE Kindergartens and other pre-school centres?
The curriculum in the MOE Kindergartens is the first to be developed by MOE specialists for pre-school children which is guided by widely recognised principles in pre-school education articulated in MOE’s Nurturing Early Learners (NEL) Framework. It is organised around themes and projects, includes resources with a distinct Singapore flavour and emphasises on language learning. Each child will learn the English Language and one of the official MTLs. The teachers in the MOE Kindergartens receive the necessary professional development opportunities and support to enable them to implement the curriculum effectively.

Other pre-school centres in Singapore are privately-run and the curriculum they adopt is planned by their own teachers or a centralised curriculum team at the headquarters. Their curriculum may take reference from the principles in the NEL Framework or may be based on certain philosophies and methods."Unquote

Love Clouds
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jan 04,
Total Likes:1

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by Love Clouds » Tue May 05, 2015 12:49 pm

Sharing my experience although it had been many years:

When I just moved to the East from North in Nov, I need to look for a kindergarten for my DD1 urgently. Being new to the area and last minute enrolment, I got a place in PCF Kindergarten. After her 3 months of K1 there, the teacher actually told me to look for another kindergarten for my DD as she felt the pace was too slow for her. The school was teaching simple phonics like "cat", "pat", while my DD could already read and write simple sentences. She learned those from a private childcare centre in nursery. Hence, I quickly enrolled her in a church kindergarten. Then, I realised the big differences. This church kindergarten already gave their K1 students spelling with sentences like "My white cat has a long, fluffy tail."
This kindergarten did provide good preparation and foundation for my two DDs.

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 03,

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by Kiaseemum » Thu May 07, 2015 5:16 pm

Love Clouds wrote:Sharing my experience although it had been many years:

When I just moved to the East from North in Nov, I need to look for a kindergarten for my DD1 urgently. Being new to the area and last minute enrolment, I got a place in PCF Kindergarten. After her 3 months of K1 there, the teacher actually told me to look for another kindergarten for my DD as she felt the pace was too slow for her. The school was teaching simple phonics like "cat", "pat", while my DD could already read and write simple sentences. She learned those from a private childcare centre in nursery. Hence, I quickly enrolled her in a church kindergarten. Then, I realised the big differences. This church kindergarten already gave their K1 students spelling with sentences like "My white cat has a long, fluffy tail."
This kindergarten did provide good preparation and foundation for my two DDs.

I believe children, when exposed to phonics and writing from early as 12 months, they will acquire the ability to read and write by aged 4 and it's proven here w your two children;)
It's just sad that some parents don't make an effort to ensure their kids are literate before they enter pri 1.. There's really no time to learn to read when you're in p1, because there is so much more you have to understand like example math problems etc.


zbear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 5157
Joined: Mon Sep 16,
Total Likes:67

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by zbear » Fri May 08, 2015 10:44 am

Kiaseemum wrote:
It's just sad that some parents don't make an effort to ensure their kids are literate before they enter pri 1.. There's really no time to learn to read when you're in p1, because there is so much more you have to understand like example math problems etc.



Has times changed? Is it true that you have no time to learn to read in P1?

As far as I am aware, P1 is 'honeymoon' time. Its a slow transition from kindy to Primary School. So long as they are able to read n write basic words before entering Primary School, I am sure they can stay on par unless they have a learning disability.

sushi88
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 2489
Joined: Thu Sep 26,
Total Likes:163

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by sushi88 » Fri May 08, 2015 10:52 am

Kiaseemum wrote:I believe children, when exposed to phonics and writing from early as 12 months, they will acquire the ability to read and write by aged 4 and it's proven here w your two children;)
It's just sad that some parents don't make an effort to ensure their kids are literate before they enter pri 1.. There's really no time to learn to read when you're in p1, because there is so much more you have to understand like example math problems etc.



Is this real? My kids could not even walk by month 12! ok..maybe they were late bloomers in walking.... :oops:

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 03,

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by Kiaseemum » Sat May 09, 2015 1:53 pm

sushi88 wrote:
Kiaseemum wrote:I believe children, when exposed to phonics and writing from early as 12 months, they will acquire the ability to read and write by aged 4 and it's proven here w your two children;)
It's just sad that some parents don't make an effort to ensure their kids are literate before they enter pri 1.. There's really no time to learn to read when you're in p1, because there is so much more you have to understand like example math problems etc.



Is this real? My kids could not even walk by month 12! ok..maybe they were late bloomers in walking.... :oops:
I said exposed to reading n writing. I didn't say they can read by 12 months!

Kiaseemum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Jul 03,

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by Kiaseemum » Sat May 09, 2015 1:54 pm

zbear wrote:
Kiaseemum wrote:
It's just sad that some parents don't make an effort to ensure their kids are literate before they enter pri 1.. There's really no time to learn to read when you're in p1, because there is so much more you have to understand like example math problems etc.



Has times changed? Is it true that you have no time to learn to read in P1?

As far as I am aware, P1 is 'honeymoon' time. Its a slow transition from kindy to Primary School. So long as they are able to read n write basic words before entering Primary School, I am sure they can stay on par unless they have a learning disability.

Nope, in p1 it's not a honeymoon time anymore..

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Posts: 11055
Joined: Wed Sep 15,
Total Likes:202

Re: PCF Vs MOE Kindergarden Vs Private Kindergarden

Post by slmkhoo » Sat May 09, 2015 1:55 pm

Kiaseemum wrote:
sushi88 wrote:
Kiaseemum wrote:I believe children, when exposed to phonics and writing from early as 12 months, they will acquire the ability to read and write by aged 4 and it's proven here w your two children;)
It's just sad that some parents don't make an effort to ensure their kids are literate before they enter pri 1.. There's really no time to learn to read when you're in p1, because there is so much more you have to understand like example math problems etc.


Is this real? My kids could not even walk by month 12! ok..maybe they were late bloomers in walking.... :oops:
I said exposed to reading n writing. I didn't say they can read by 12 months!

I have one child that fits your description and one that doesn't. Both had the same exposure.

Post Reply