Switching childcare/kindergarten after K1

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Switching childcare/kindergarten after K1

Postby grapevine » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Hi. Would like to know if there are any parents who have swiched their kid's preschool/kindergarten after K1. My kid has been in the same preschool since nursery and I am planning to move to another location. I plan to switch his preschool when he enters K2. I am wondering if he will cope with the new school and be able to make new friends. for parents who have done the same, would like to know how our kid adapted. Any potential problems to look out for?
Thanks. :please: :salute:

grapevine
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Switching childcare/kindergarten after K1

Postby zephyr_bloom » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 am

I am interested to hear any feedback and sharing on this as well! I am in a dilemma on whether to switch kiddo from a 4-hr class to full day prog.

zephyr_bloom
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby NFN08 » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:07 am

same boat mummies..
moving house.. so son will be in k2 in 2016..

start preparing him from now already...telling him that he will get new frens..new teachers...

just the other nite...he said this "mama...if i miss my friends, how?"
breaks my heart....

NFN08
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby slmkhoo » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:28 am

It can be a little painful, but if it's for a good reason, then it can be done. My kids have changed kindys and schools quite a bit since we moved to various countries and towns over the years - my older girl was in 3 different kindys in 3 countries, and 4 primary schools in 2 countries.

Preparation is important, not just telling the child what it going to happen, but talking up the new situation - what's good about it, what to look forward to etc. At the same time, it's important not to dismiss the negatives such missing friends and teachers, getting used to a new environment etc. Good closure is important - take lots of photos, get phone nos., parents' email addresses etc, maybe arrange a play date during the year-end hols. Promise that there can be another playdate later on (in March, maybe). Sometimes, for young kids, out of sight is out of mind and the issue won't arise again later, but for some, they may still want to keep in touch. Let him make goodbye cards for teachers and anyone else he wants to. Hope this helps.

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ammonite » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:31 am

I have done it before and it was okay but my child was not too attached to the original place. You can ease the transition by assuring him that he can still visit in future or meet up with friends during holidays. Before any school change, my children will exchange phone numbers with certain friends and they do meet up occasionally over the next year. In fact my home line is mainly for the kids to use when they were in kindergarten.

Once the switch is made, actively help them make new friends by giving them things to share (stickers, snacks), chatting about the new people they are meeting and suggesting who seem to like the same things etc. If possible, arrange for a play date after the child has settled in.

My children like to put their school photos on their desks and I find that they will still look at them occasionally years after.

(Edit to add: Slmkhoo, I think we posted at the same time... saying almost the same thing too :lol: )

ammonite
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care