Am i right?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Am i right?

Postby riash » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:11 pm

I am a first time full time working mother and new in sg. My son is 20 mths old and i recently started him at a CC. This is what i observed ....is this normal or shd be expected?

- all 4 kids in my sons playgroup (18mths - 24 mths) hardly talked, either to the teacher or amongst themselves.
- all were highly disciplined. they are able to sit on a mat without budging without any toy / book in hand whilst waiting for snacks to be prepared / bath time. again, no talking.
- all were able to eat by themselves with minimal assistance.
- whilst sitting on a mat, the teacher would hand out toys to each of them during play time, children did not go running to the toy corner.
- all books were borrowed from NLB.

I was utterly impressed with the discipline in the 18mth olds!!! My son is very playful and can't sit still for any period of time and very active. So i was apprehensive if he would be able to fit in. Am thinking of looking for a new centre.....any insights?

riash
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby ooptimizer » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:18 pm

looks more like prison standard

ooptimizer
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Am i right?

Postby girlmum » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:49 pm

riash wrote:
- all 4 kids in my sons playgroup (18mths - 24 mths) hardly talked, either to the teacher or amongst themselves.
- all were highly disciplined. they are able to sit on a mat without budging without any toy / book in hand whilst waiting for snacks to be prepared / bath time. again, no talking.
- all were able to eat by themselves with minimal assistance.
- whilst sitting on a mat, the teacher would hand out toys to each of them during play time, children did not go running to the toy corner.
- all books were borrowed from NLB.

Hardly talked???? Sat on the mat w/o budging??? Only play toys given by teacher, no running to the toy corner or snatching???? :!: Very super unusual. :? SUPER STRICT/STERN Teacher.

Children these age like to mix with others hence developing their social skills. This is certainly NOT a norm in CC, more like a prison with watchful wardens around. :cry: CHildren should be taught to share & explore.
All CC MUST have their own library (a collection of books based on the themes). Borrowed form NLB ??? Budget constraint?? How many can one borrows to be sufficient for the WHOLE CC?

Is yr child happy there? Well, u may observe for a couple more wks. Don't think any normal kids will stay seated on the mat w/o budging for long. Don't feel comfortable there, better :siam:

girlmum
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby riash » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:17 pm

thank you girlmum and ooptimizer! i am getting my son out of there asap.
really appreciate your comments, they re-inforce what i was thinking. was initially jaded by the discipline standard there, and after visiting a couple more cc these past week, i realise that others are no where near what i hv seen in that cc.

riash
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby tankee » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 pm

while i believe kids should be taught discipline from young, but this cc is too much.

tankee
Site Admin

Postby keenDaddy » Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:48 am

Felt that for kids in PG, sessions should be less structured, more play-based. The environment should be conducive for them to learn through play and also pick up social skills. Hence, the name - "Play"Group. It is no good for kids to be suppressed too much at such a young age.

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby blueblue » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:27 am

wonder if the kids happened to be the 'guai guai' type or are they trained to be like tat?

blueblue
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ponyo » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:00 am

haha...those are not real kids. More like robots. :lol:

Cannot imagine a class of young kids playing quiet. Certainly something sinister is brewing.

I would rather kids talk, play with their friends, laugh, share toys, bicker(and in the process, learn how to compromise and empathise).

Quiet kids? :| Super abnormal...perhaps they are punished till like that?

ponyo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EstherTan » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:24 am

ponyo wrote:haha...those are not real kids. More like robots. :lol:

Cannot imagine a class of young kids playing quiet. Certainly something sinister is brewing.

I would rather kids talk, play with their friends, laugh, share toys, bicker(and in the process, learn how to compromise and empathise).

Quiet kids? :| Super abnormal...perhaps they are punished till like that?

Agree with ponyo there... At their age they are constantly trying to push boundaries, and things generally 'escalate' for a while especially when they are around their 'accomplices'. Being able to sit THAT still not remain THAT quiet is something that even teenagers can deal with, unless you stick them in front of a TV or their computer! :?

EstherTan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby riash » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Agree with all of you that it seems pretty robotic. funni thing is the kids would respond to me when i was trying to get my son to sit still by singing songs to him or pointing out items of interest. i get the feeling they are not encouraged to express themselves which makes it easy for the teachers. i know they make the kids who misbehave sit out activities.

anyway, i hv taken my son out of there :)

riash
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care