[Changi/Pasir Ris/Tampines/Simei] Preschools

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

[Changi/Pasir Ris/Tampines/Simei] Preschools

Postby donian » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:55 am

Title: Eureka Schoolhouse

Hi,

Anybody have kids at Eureka Schoolhouse (Sunbird-Simei)? Would like to send my kids there but am looking for some feedback first.

Thanks.

donian
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

[Changi/Pasir Ris/Tampines/Simei] Preschools & Childcare

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:29 am

Hi,

Need helps. What are the preschools in changi area (I am looking at upper changi area).

I know of kinderland childcare, a church kindy well that's probably all.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CalMat » Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:57 pm

My boy attends the Kinderland at Upper Changi... we find that it's a good place... we like how the place is run, the teachers, facilities.

But it's a childcare centre, and this centre only provides full-day services. So, if you are only looking for preschools... it won't fit your needs.

CalMat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Hi,

I am actually looking more for my potential tenants. The agent listed the following schools :

Little Haven Childcare & Development Centre, 754m
Candyworld Child Care & development Centre, 878m
Chiaravalle Montessori House-Tampines, 967m

Have you heard of them??? Haha, I've never.... So ashamed as I stayed in that area for 8 years.

I know there is also another kinderland childcare at loyang point area. My kids are with kinderland kindergarden at Marine parade so I personally have faith in the kinderland education. Also, they have korean classmates,etc... so it's not limited to local.

BTW, I also saw this One world international school and I know of neighours who send their kids to the church kindy near to spore expo. You heard about them?

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby CalMat » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:06 pm

Hee hee... I too have not heard of all those your agent listed.
Sorry...
I imagine they are those independant childcare establishments?

Anyway, you can also go to MCYS website to do a search.

CalMat
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Good teacher/operator for childcare ctr in the East

Postby dolphin » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:42 am

[Moderator's note: Topics merged.]

Any recommendations of good childcare centre? I'm really new to this cc culture, hope to hear what to expect from the cc operator. Tks.

I'm really kinda headache with my child's cc as problems seem to surface more vivid (my child started cc from apr 08, turning 3yrs old this nov) :-
1) Falls ill more frequent, almost weekly. (Norm : Attend 1-2 days, absent for 3-4 days per week)
2) I've shared with the principal/teacher that my child get heaty when consume cookies and coco stuffs & hope they could make some adjustment for him. Guess what, my request was brushed off with notes in CAPITAL and RED pen in my child's communication book. So I've to provide suggestion for the teacher to ensure that my child drink plenty of water before and after consuming the food... The cc operator told me that they will ensure and added that my child is drinking alot of water (700ml/day) .... then why my child is always asking for water on the way home from school?? The water bottle is always empty when returned home, is there a water refilling of some kind? Or is this a norm for child to go without water while playing outdoor and wait for parent to pick up (5-7pm)?
3) CC operator failed to keep the promise. Since an infant till now, my child will ask for water after milk. This eventually become a kind of habit for him. Recently my child told me he was not given water after milk .... sob sob, this mum cant do anything for him to avoid unhappiness with the cc operator
4) Teachers are not vigilant when a child get ill. On 2 occassions, I picked up my child from cc, he was already running very high fever and looked unwell.
5) Child learn bad habits like shouting (YOU HAR!! AIYA!! NO FINISH WATER, NO OUTDOOR!! If you dont hold the rope for outdoor, when hit by car, your mouth will have a lot of blood and you die .... the teacher use such violent illustration to teach child about safety? I believe there should be some other better way to teach about road safety). When I asked my child who said those stuffs ..... oh my god, to my surprise, they are names of teachers/assistant teachers. I'm really contemplating if this cc is really a good place for young children
6) One of the core teacher is kinda young and seems not able to manage young children well. In the eye of the parent, she's the sweetest cutie teacher but .... Last tuesday, I saw her shouting with her finger pointing at a crying toddler ... asking him to stop crying. This scene re-enforce that those things mentioned by my child (in point 5 is true).
7) CC meal are all catered. The planned menu on paper differs from the actual. E.g. BF menu : Egg mayonnaise sandwich and milk, cereal and milo ..... but when i peek through the window, I always see the children eat only cereal without milk/drinks.. So for lunch and tea break, I really cannot image what're being served to these children.

Sorry for the long windy tale ... hope you parents out there to voice your opinion.

dolphin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Childcare Centre

Postby Poonie » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Dolphin

You really should find another centre for your child's sake. There are many around who have their own compound, well-spoken teachers (such as ex top school teachers).

As for water and food, you can certainly try to requests for this and that but isn't better if you can cater to our kid's needs by getting him a bigger water bottle and bringing his own snacks occasionally? Also don't be too protective as they will have to be exposed to such food eventually. Importantly you should provide nutritious meals at home and boil green-bean soup, barley or chrysanthemum once a week to fend off heatiness.

If you can't find centres with well-spoken teachers or nutritious snacks at least get one that has it's own compound for safety reasons.

Poonie
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Piggymum » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi dolphin,

Do you mind to share which cc is that? I live in the East. My N2 girl has been in cc since 2 yr old but I have never encountered such bad incidents. The teachers in her cc are very good in handling crying kids. They are very caring towards the kids and even called to ask about my girl when she was sick. When my girl refused to finish the rice, the teacher would encourage her to at least finish off the egg, veg. When she refused to take nap, the teacher would pat her to sleep. Of course there are 1 or 2 not so professional ones but still not so bad.

In the first place, teachers should speak proper English/ mandarin. Food given to kids should also be healthy & nutritious. They hv to follow guidlines given by MCYS. You can also report such incidents to MCYS.

As for falling sick. It's difficult to avoid for kids below 4 yr old. My girl fell sick every mth when she was younger. But now older, she no longer fall sick so frequently. I agree with you that kids should drink plenty of water. I also requested teachers to refill my girl's water bottle and they did. Now that she is older, she does the re-filling herself.

My question is, is your child happy in the current cc? if not, don't you want to withdraw him? Such environment won't benefit him anyway.

Just my few cents worth....

Piggymum
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby dolphin » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks for all the pointers.

Hmm, think I shall not name which cc my child is attending.

Definitely, I'm at a lookout for another cc around the East. Hope to get some recommendations from you mummy n daddy.

dolphin
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby heutistmeintag » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:58 am

My 2 kids attended Del-Care years ago in Pasir Ris and I am very happy with them. Good teachers, who had good balance of TLC and discipline. I heard they had moved out to somewhere in Shenton Way.

Maybe you could check them out or reconsider if you have to get one strictly in the east.

heutistmeintag
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care