Should SAHM enjoy full childcare subsidies?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Should Full-time mums enjoy full childcare subsidies?

Absolutely
46%
No Way
12%
Yes if SG want more babies
42%

Total votes : 26

Should SAHM enjoy full childcare subsidies?

Postby mintcc » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:29 am

Currently SAHM only enjoy half Childcare Subsidies compare to FTWM. I feel SAHM should enjoy full childcare subsidies too as the family's income is reduced due to the SAHM's sacrifice. At the same time, SAHM should have the option to sent their children to Childcare at a subsidised rate so that it is easier for them to return to the work force if they wish/need to.

What do you guys think?
Last edited by mintcc on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby toddles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:29 pm

Agree that SAHM should get subsidies. I used to think it was so ironic that a family on one income should not qualify for a subsidy whereas a double income family does. Doesn't the SAHM need the subsidy more?

I suppose that arises from the govt's intention to push as many women back into the workforce as possible.

So if SAHMs also get subsidies, more women might decide to quit, and that's what the govt doesn't want... so we're stuck with this sad situation....

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:32 pm

I guess the rationale is if the mum is a SAHM, there is no need for full day childcare. And for 1/2 day childcare, the subsidy is the same regardless of working or non-working mum

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:49 pm

Funz wrote:I guess the rationale is if the mum is a SAHM, there is no need for full day childcare. And for 1/2 day childcare, the subsidy is the same regardless of working or non-working mum

So even if they offer subsidy, most SAHMs won't be utilising it anyway. No loss to them to be perceived as more generous?

One genuine situation I can think of is a SAHM without maid or any old folks' help. If she had just delivered a new baby, her elder child would most certainly need to go full day childcare so that she can have sufficient rest right after delivery and also to pay more attention to her new born. She's not entitled to any paid maternity leave, I suppose it's reasonable to give subsidy for full day childcare in such situation?

I don't forsee this as long term arrangement, probably during the initial few months or a most a year until she can managed both young children at home.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:10 pm

sleepy wrote:
Funz wrote:I guess the rationale is if the mum is a SAHM, there is no need for full day childcare. And for 1/2 day childcare, the subsidy is the same regardless of working or non-working mum

So even if they offer subsidy, most SAHMs won't be utilising it anyway. No loss to them to be perceived as more generous?

One possible situation I can think of is a SAHM without maid or any old folks' help. If she had just delivered a new baby, her elder child would most certainly need to go full day childcare so that she can have sufficient rest right after delivery and also to pay more attention to her new born. She's not entitled to any paid maternity leave, I suppose it's reasonable to give subsidy for full day childcare in such situation?

I don't forsee this as long term arrangement, probably during the initial few months or a most a year until she can managed both young children at home.

Got loss, cos funds will have to be put aside to cater for this subsidy. Which means that other areas will get lesser funds. And once this option is available, there will be the likelihood of it being abused.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby toddles » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:36 pm

Oh... I didn't know half day childcare gets subsidy regardless... that's quite fair then...

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Funz wrote: And once this option is available, there will be the likelihood of it being abused.

Can shed some light how to abuse :?

I think most SAHMs can be classified into 2 broad categories:
1. Choose to stay home to spend more time with their children.
2. Income not high enough after deducting related childcare expenses, better off not working.

Probably have some more...can only think of these 2 broad categories at this moment :wink:

For category 1, doubt they would send kids to full day childcare. Defeat the whole purpose of staying home. They certainly did not choose to stay home to scurb the floor while their kids are in full day childcare. For category 2, doubt they would send kids to full day childcare either. Purpose is to cut cost since net income not justifiable after deducting related childcare expenses.

I believe very few SAHMs would utilise this subsidy. But it's certainly very useful in genuine cases like the example I cite above.

By the way, only for discussion sake hor. My kids are too old for childcare :lol:

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby sleepy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:48 pm

toddles wrote:

Oh... I didn't know half day childcare gets subsidy regardless... that's quite fair then...

The discussion is on full day childcare subsidy :wink:
Half day childcare subsidy is the same regardless of FTWMs or SAHMs.

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Funz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:13 pm

sleepy wrote:
Funz wrote: And once this option is available, there will be the likelihood of it being abused.

Can shed some light how to abuse :?

I think most SAHMs can be classified into 2 broad categories:
1. Choose to stay home to spend more time with their children.
2. Income not high enough after deducting related childcare expenses, better off not working.

Probably have some more...can only think of these 2 broad categories at this moment :wink:

For category 1, doubt they would send kids to full day childcare. Defeat the whole purpose of staying home. They certainly did not choose to stay home to scurb the floor while their kids are in full day childcare. For category 2, doubt they would send kids to full day childcare either. Purpose is to cut cost since net income not justifiable after deducting related childcare expenses.

I believe very few SAHMs would utilise this subsidy. But it's certainly very useful in genuine cases like the example I cite above.

By the way, only for discussion sake hor. My kids are too old for childcare :lol:

There will always be those who choose not to work but yet send the child to fullday childcare even though they don't have another child to look after at home.

And there will be unscrupulous operators who will declare and claim full day subsidy even when child is only on half day.

Call me cynical but I have seen it happening. Am in the childcare industry.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:25 pm

I thought it was Govnt intention to encourage more SAHM to rejoin the workforce?

tankee
Site Admin

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care