Study or Play: Which is more important in Preschools?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
SocialScope.sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Study or Play: Which is more important in Preschools?

Post by SocialScope.sg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:31 am

Hello parents! :smile:

We are a group of students from NUS doing a video project on Demands of Early Childhood Education. We have interviewed several preschool teachers and a professor. And now, we would like to find out what parents think about preschools! :smile:

We would like to pose a question to all of you:

Do you prefer a preschool that focuses more on academics or play? Why?

Let us know what you think in the forum thread below!

Thank you! :rahrah:
Last edited by SocialScope.sg on Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Re: Study or Play: Which is more important in Preschools?

Post by Nebbermind » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Preschool = nursery (3-4) + kindergarten (5-6)?
I think the curriculum for different stage/age would be quite different

SocialScope.sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by SocialScope.sg » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:13 pm

Nebbermind wrote:Preschool = nursery (3-4) + kindergarten (5-6)?
The entire curriculum :) So if you have a perspective for nursery and a different one for kindergarten, we will like to hear from you what they are!

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:18 pm

My DD2 says “Learn through Play”.

I told her she has potential as a good sales person. :rotflmao:

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:08 pm

SocialScope.sg wrote:
The entire curriculum :) So if you have a perspective for nursery and a different one for kindergarten, we will like to hear from you what they are!
I think most parents would want "learn thru play" for age 3-4, and then change to slightly more academic style for age 5-6 in preparation for primary one.

SocialScope.sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by SocialScope.sg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:00 pm

lee_yl wrote:My DD2 says “Learn through Play”.

Thank you very much for sharing :smile: Wow! :smile: Do you agree with her about "Learning through play" as well?
Last edited by SocialScope.sg on Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SocialScope.sg
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by SocialScope.sg » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:02 pm

zac's mum wrote:
SocialScope.sg wrote:
I think most parents would want "learn thru play" for age 3-4, and then change to slightly more academic style for age 5-6 in preparation for primary one.
Thank you very much for your response :rahrah:

Why do parents prefer a "learn through play" path when their children are at a younger age?
What sort of lessons do you expect to see being taught at ages 5-6 to know that they are being prepared for primary one?

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:118

Post by lee_yl » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:03 pm

SocialScope.sg wrote:
lee_yl wrote:My DD2 says “Learn through Play”.

Thank you very much for sharing :smile: Wow! :smile: Do you agree with her about "Learning through play" as well?
DD2’s opinion:
If purely studying in conformists classroom kind, as kids’ attention spans are short, they will not be able to absorb much. If too much playing, then the kids may not be ready for P1. Best is to mix both together in a fun way. Something so that children won’t get bored easily and yet they will benefit from it.

I recall that in preschool, my kids loved their once a week computer lesson. They looked forward to that day of the week (and also PE day). However, the computer lessons got cancelled so my kids and their classmates were very upset. So after discussing with some mummies, I went to see the P. Later I found out that there were parents who complained that computers were not good for young children’s eyesight. While a handful not willing to pay extra for comp lessons.

So, not just you need to find something kids love, but also get the parents’ buy in . Good luck!

Oh, btw, I have heard of parents sending their kids to 2 preschools. One is Montessori type (in the morn) where kids get to learn thru play. Yet on the other hand, they are worried their kids won’t be ready for P1, so they send to PAP kindy (in the afternoon) where their kids get more time on the academic aspects like more writing and also learning Chinese from PRC teachers. So you combine both, lah

Nebbermind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:161

Post by Nebbermind » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:49 pm

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:02 pm

SocialScope.sg wrote:
zac's mum wrote:I think most parents would want "learn thru play" for age 3-4, and then change to slightly more academic style for age 5-6 in preparation for primary one.
Thank you very much for your response :rahrah:

Why do parents prefer a "learn through play" path when their children are at a younger age?
What sort of lessons do you expect to see being taught at ages 5-6 to know that they are being prepared for primary one?
I take into consideration the developmental milestones of a 3-4 year old. Their attention span is far too short to start sitting down doing seat work. Usually nursery age at most do art and craft. Fine motor skills also not sufficiently developed to write properly. At most doodle or finger painting. Learning thru social play is also good for teaching manners and taking turns. Playground time is also essential.

At K1 age, many preschools start introducing worksheets and weekly spelling. This is abit too early for some especially boys. K2 age would be more appropriate. For P1 prep, I believe basic literacy and numeracy skills are required. Eg counting 1-20 and spelling simple words. Unfortunately there is a huge variance in expected standards depending on which primary school the child will be going to. At the more demanding primary schools, kids are already expected to read and write in sentences ready for comprehension and composition. So the parents are under much stress to push down the academic teaching to K2 and K1 levels. Introduce the big words earlier, addition subtraction even multiplication just to have a heads up. But the poor kids, some are just not developmentally ready to take on such dry learning. My boy didn't truly start recognizing words till late K2. He is a kinesthetic learner so Montessori tactile materials helped in teaching him math.