Changing Preschool

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Changing Preschool

Postby ghibli76 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:05 am

Having hard time deciding whether to change preschool.

Appreciate if you can share your considerations. TIA!

ghibli76
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby MMM » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:32 am

I recently changed the preschool for my K1. She is due to start in term 2 2010. She appears excited despite being with her friends since Pre-nursery. Maybe she has an extroverted character and likes to try new things???? Anyway, with the enrichment classes she is going to, I am sure she will find new friends along the way. I told her it's just like attending a new class. So you probably need to weigh your child's character and adaptability to new environment. Some kids might hate the change but usually they will get used to it over time.

Besides the normal stuff like location, reputation,etc... my key consideration was the feedback on the school, environment and the teacher quality. We brought her along to view the school.

In her case, it was changing from one branch to another within the same education group. Though they have the same cirriculum (which is one less uncertainty) but again, the teacher really matters most to me.

I contemplated as they were many considerations. Our situation is alittle unique as my K1 stays with my parents during weekdays. I wanted to change her to a pre-school nearer to our place so she can stay home and I can coach her on a regular basis given that she is K2 next year.

What hits me most was that the outlet we are going to will be a worse off decision than current due to previous staff turnover, teacher's age and quality. In the end, we asked to sit in during the lesson and ok the teacher appeared to be reasonable std and hopefully she will be and not just infront of parents. But I suppose this will be balanced by the time we are going to spend coaching her daily. So I know she will benefit alot more with the new arrangement.

My other consideration was I know my mum can't bear to "part" with her as she is like the "last baby". We did the same for my P3 and P2. They moved back to our place the moment they go to P1. So with my K1 moving back earlier than originally planned, she would be like "aimless" as she had dedicated the last 9 yrs taking care of my kids. Anyway, we are still trying to work out since some of her enrichment classes are still near my mum's place. Mum has volunteered to bring her home on some days so she remains occupied.

On my end, I've taken 1/2 day leave on the 1st week of term 2. Just to bring her and fetch her from school. Hopefully to ease her getting used to the new environment.

MMM
Councillor
Councillor

Re: Changing Preschool

Postby toddles » Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:39 am

ghibli76 wrote:Having hard time deciding whether to change preschool.

what are your reasons for seeking a change? Perhaps we can help you better from there.

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ghibli76 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:15 am

Thanx MMM and toddles.

It will be the same education group but a branch nearer home. Partly also because some of the better teachers left.

DS not keen to change. After we brought him to visit the new cc, he will ask which school we are going to in the morning. We too feel heartache that he has to leave his friends.

Is it a norm for cc to have such a high turnover and not able to retain the good ones? If so, how do we ascertain if the new cc would be a better choice based on the teachers?

ghibli76
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Changing Preschool

Postby hope76 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:23 am

ghibli76 wrote:Having hard time deciding whether to change preschool.

Hi ghibli, I just changed a preschool for my son (nursery) too. Started 1st mar. He was ok to go to the new school but at the same time, he was hoping that we can send him back to his old sch too.

My consideration is changing is due to distant. I'm living in Tampines and his old preschool is in Pasir Ris. To be honest, I'm still thinking whether did i make the right decision cos the old school seems to be able to prepare my kid for P1 than the current one. However, i got to make a decision cos it's very inconvenient for me to do the sending and fetching everyday and i don't like to put him on sch bus (too costly, $130 for 2 way).

I am sure your DS will get use to the new environment. Perhaps u can check out the environment and teachers, try putting him on trial class before taking i=him out completely form the old sch. :)

hope76
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sheryl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:04 pm

I just changed the childcare for my son due to high teacher turnover rate & the quality of new teachers is no good. School system also sucks & lousy food to children.

sheryl
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby merlionkid » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:17 pm

When he turns 18 months, I am moving my infant from his infant class at the current centre to a toddler's class of another center. Although the current centre is what you call a 'premium brand' centre, we are still moving.

Consideration 1 - The infant care giver is not progressing to the toddler's class, so my kid will be facing new adult faces. Although the friends are still the same group, he will be facing new classroom, new environment, new teacher. Less new friends, everything else will change.

Also, the centre's caring principal is moving up and principal taking the baton is, I think not up to my mark.

Consideration 2 - distance from home

Consideration 3 - traffic around the current centre is chaotic.

merlionkid
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby BlurBee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:34 am

Hi,
My DS2 juz attended a CCC (DD1's previous centre) for only 3 days and he started saying no going to school.
Wondering now whether to change another centre for him :(
:?:
TIA.

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Postby toddles » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:20 pm

BlurBee wrote:Hi,
My DS2 juz attended a CCC (DD1's previous centre) for only 3 days and he started saying no going to school.
TIA.

i think the usual is to give them a week to adapt? usually the first week is definitely marked by some resistance due to adjustment....

toddles
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby BlurBee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:29 pm

toddles wrote:
BlurBee wrote:Hi,
TIA.

i think the usual is to give them a week to adapt? usually the first week is definitely marked by some resistance due to adjustment....

Thank you, toddles.
That's what the teacher said.
Finally managed to 'forced' him to go today. :sweat:

BlurBee
Councillor
Councillor

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care