All About Montessori

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
North_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: All About Montessori

Post by North_Mummy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi all,

Anyone face problem finding a Montessori child care or another main stream CC (such as Learning vision/cherie hearts etc ) in your area??? I am thinking of writing in to complain to MCYS regarding the shortage of CC. Would be glad if you give me your valuable feedback .

Thanks

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Thu Aug 23, 2012 4:48 pm

Yes, I think new housing areas like Punggol and Sengkang are facing a shortage of CC and student care.
Esp Punggol area, only 1-2 montessori CC i came across so far...

North_Mummy wrote:Hi all,

Anyone face problem finding a Montessori child care or another main stream CC (such as Learning vision/cherie hearts etc ) in your area??? I am thinking of writing in to complain to MCYS regarding the shortage of CC. Would be glad if you give me your valuable feedback .

Thanks

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:03 pm

My son has been in a montessori CC since 2.5 years old, currently coming to 6 yrs old.
I must admit I didnt really want to put him in a monte envir as it always gives me the impression that children in the centre dont learn much and they have the freedom to do their own activities.
It was until I visited his monte CC then I realised my perception was totally wrong.
The monte programm are very structured, children still have lessons and activities in class, however after they are done with their lessons, worksheets or phonics lessons, they are given the freedom to do montessori material.
They are allowed to choose their own material to do/play with however each time they change to the next material, they are taught to keep away the exisiting one.
My child had learn to be v independent and discipline throughout these few years, and recently he even told his class teacher dont need to shower for him, he can do it by himself!
Environment, caring teachers, and the turn over ratio play an important part too.
There are always very branded monte CC in the market and yet pple will chiong to sign up. I have ever been to view a branded monte CC and it looks more like a market to me and yet the centre is filled with so many students.

STmummy wrote:My son is taking trial class and he told us one of the girls in his class changes her own diaper at a corner of the classroom. Is this the usual approach of montessori class? We find it amusing but yet I was abit surprise to hear that too. Can anyone enlighten me?
Cos we are still deciding if going for this.

North_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by North_Mummy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:17 pm

sunset_dae wrote:My son has been in a montessori CC since 2.5 years old, currently coming to 6 yrs old.
I must admit I didnt really want to put him in a monte envir as it always gives me the impression that children in the centre dont learn much and they have the freedom to do their own activities.
It was until I visited his monte CC then I realised my perception was totally wrong.
The monte programm are very structured, children still have lessons and activities in class, however after they are done with their lessons, worksheets or phonics lessons, they are given the freedom to do montessori material.
They are allowed to choose their own material to do/play with however each time they change to the next material, they are taught to keep away the exisiting one.
My child had learn to be v independent and discipline throughout these few years, and recently he even told his class teacher dont need to shower for him, he can do it by himself!
Environment, caring teachers, and the turn over ratio play an important part too.
There are always very branded monte CC in the market and yet pple will chiong to sign up. I have ever been to view a branded monte CC and it looks more like a market to me and yet the centre is filled with so many students.

So do you find your son is prepared for P1?? which CC you enrol him too? Would you mind to share which CC which look like market but is fully occupied??
STmummy wrote:My son is taking trial class and he told us one of the girls in his class changes her own diaper at a corner of the classroom. Is this the usual approach of montessori class? We find it amusing but yet I was abit surprise to hear that too. Can anyone enlighten me?

STmummy
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by STmummy » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:50 pm

But if I am looking at 3 hour daily enrichment class, my son won't get to have the freeplay or even learn all those independent in terms of showering for himself? I am pretty lost now.
Which Montessori cc is your child in?

Yes, there is really very limïted ccc with vacancies or good Montessori schools which are not too ex for us esp in Punggol and sengkang area! :frustrated:

quote="sunset_dae"]My son has been in a montessori CC since 2.5 years old, currently coming to 6 yrs old.

[/quote]

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:56 am

In terms of academic, I find no problem for him. He could do P1 assessment book even at his age.
The school still prepare worksheets and there are phonics lesson almost everyday. Free time is reading books.

He is currently with Amazing Star Montessori, sengkang and serangoon area have one each. I visited one of the outlet at MMI, the school is open concept and classes are conducted like a school hall, K1 one row, K2 one row... and no proper classroom, and school fees are so expensive! I personally feel we are paying for branding only. Fyi, he had also been to Kinderland and most of the time he is sitting down and playing play dough and not learning much things.

North_Mummy wrote:
sunset_dae wrote:My son has been in a montessori CC since 2.5 years old, currently coming to 6 yrs old.

So do you find your son is prepared for P1?? which CC you enrol him too? Would you mind to share which CC which look like market but is fully occupied??

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:21 am

if you are talking about 3 hr daily enrichment class, why not put yr child at half day montessori program at the childcare centre?
Classes usually start after breakfast.
In Amazing Star, after breakfast, children will go back to their respective classroom, q up to collect their mat, sit down and choose their own material. While each child is doing his/her own material the teacher will conduct one to one phonics lession, done with one student already then he/she may continue with his material while teacher call upon the next student.
I dont think he had learnt to shower himself in sch, but rather its the independency that he had been trained in school which gives him the confidence to do everything by himself.
After done with the class, they will proceed to do worksheets/music time etc...I find morning lessons more structured so it might be good to send yr child to AM day care instead, as lunch and nap time already took up almost 2nd half of the day.
It would be good to visit the centre and request for the lesson plan and view the premises.
STmummy wrote:But if I am looking at 3 hour daily enrichment class, my son won't get to have the freeplay or even learn all those independent in terms of showering for himself? I am pretty lost now.
Which Montessori cc is your child in?

Yes, there is really very limïted ccc with vacancies or good Montessori schools which are not too ex for us esp in Punggol and sengkang area! :frustrated:

quote="sunset_dae"]My son has been in a montessori CC since 2.5 years old, currently coming to 6 yrs old.

[/quote]

Karkar
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by Karkar » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:54 pm

hi,

I visited a few montessori preschools and found out that afternoon they are relatively empty. i wonder why its the case. are you sending your DD/DS to enrichment classes in the afternoon?

if afternoon less kids, i wonder if i should send to afternoon so that my DS gets more attention from teacher, or should i be sending him to the morning classes to mix with other kids more?

Thanks.

sunset_dae
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by sunset_dae » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:57 am

Most schools would conduct in house enrichment classes like piano, chinese tuition in the afternn.
Parents who had signed up their kids for the program will be group into another class, this explains why existing class are at smaller group in the afternoon.
Some enrichment classes are also conducted externally, but is tie up with the school to provide transport like swimming or gym classes.
My child is attending abacus lesson twice a week in the afternoon, the instructor will pick him up from school (within the shopping centre) in the afternoon.
I believe not every afternoon got enrichment classes and not every day there are lesser kids in the afternoon.
One main criteria in deciding whether to send your child to AM or PM classes is teacher-children ratio.
If there are lesser children in the afternoon, the school would most probably pull out one teacher from the class to conduct the extra curriculum or to other classes to cover teacher who are on leave.
So back to square one?

Karkar wrote:hi,

I visited a few montessori preschools and found out that afternoon they are relatively empty. i wonder why its the case. are you sending your DD/DS to enrichment classes in the afternoon?

if afternoon less kids, i wonder if i should send to afternoon so that my DS gets more attention from teacher, or should i be sending him to the morning classes to mix with other kids more?

Thanks.

North_Mummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by North_Mummy » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:44 pm

Hi all,
Pls refer to below URL to participate a survey pertain to preschool.
http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid= ... z31y104837

Your participation is greatly appreciated.