All About Montessori

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.
Ocean Shine
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Re: All About Montessori

Post by Ocean Shine » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:12 pm

Statement of Fact

KIDZPRO LLP (Blk 939, Tampines St 91, Managed by MMI - Modern Montesori International) Two Teachers Abuse and hurt Kid. MMI Manager who supervise the center is very arrogant and even refuse to apologize. I have reported the case to ECDA and Tampines MP in Jun. But there is no positive investigation result and penalty feedback so far, after so many months have passed.

Purplerainbow
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Purplerainbow » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:03 pm

Hi,
i am looking for montessori school at jurong west area, any mummy here have good recommendation. Appreciate your input.
Thanks

MumofLnC
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

All About Montessori

Post by MumofLnC » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum.. not sure if its appropriate to post here..
I am looking for a Montesori teacher for private lessons . Really appreciate your help..

bertrand.xl
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by bertrand.xl » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Hello,

Does anyone have good recommendations for montessori schools in Tiong Bahru / Redhill / River Valley area?

Thank you!

fishmum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Paper scissors stone montessori kindergarten

Post by fishmum » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:18 am

Hi mummies,
I am thinking to enroll my child in kindergarten.

Do u all mind to share your review about:-

Paper scissors Stone Montessori Kindergarten in Simei and Bedok branch ?
Soka Kindergarten ?

Thank u so much..

erencie
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by erencie » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:54 pm

How do you parents think of the mixed-age arrangement in a true Montessori preschool? I read some articles about Montessori and understand that mixed-age arrangement is actually an essence of Montessori practices. If you parents are in this thread talking about Montessori, are you all in supportive of this mixed-age practice as well?

At first, I'm more used to the traditional age classification of PG, N1, N2, K1, K2 and am not comfortable to the mixed-age arrangement in Montessori.

Recently, I start to look for a childcare for my 2-year-old DD near my home; she was currently in a childcare near my company but it is a pain for me sending her to childcare every day.

The one that is nearest to my home is a small Montessori childcare. When I first heard of the mixed-aged arrangement in that childcare, I almost immediately said no. But later I ran out of childcare choices and hence still went for a visit.

The childcare is small and looks quite relaxed and family-oriented. They put all their 4~6 year-olds together in two classes connected in one big space but keep the teacher:student ratio to be 1:9, much lower than the EDCA standard; then the 2-year-olds and 3-year-olds are placed in two other separate classes connected in another big space whilst keeping a ratio of 1:6.

According to them, the older kids will help teachers take care of the smaller kids and this cultivates the older kids' leadership skills; smaller kids interact with older kids to learn faster from their older role models. For example, during the sleep time, 4-6 year-old kids will help the 2~3 year-old kids to get ready with mattress and pillow and calm them to sleep, just like big brothers/sisters.

My DD is the only child at home. No siblings. As a result, I feel like this family-style mixed-age arrangement might be suitable for her as she can experience having a bigger sibling (when she's young) and having a smaller sibling (when she becomes the big kid in that childcare), which is an environment that we cannot provide for her at home.

I also have my concerns. Will this type of mixed-age arrangement not good for bigger kids, especially the 6-year-olds who might want to prepare for primary 1 studies? Will they get distracted by smaller kids' crying when they want to study?

I asked to look at their homework and saw a 5-year-old kid's homework writing full Chinese sentences clearly and another 6-year-old kid's homework that does pattern matching and arithmetic mostly correctly; I was told that some 6-year-old kids, if found to be capable, would be given questions that are up to the standard of Primary 4. I don't know how the childcare achieved that but apparently the homework standards are a very convincing evidence to address my concern.

I would like to hear other parents' opinions on the pros and cons of mixed-age arrangement in Montessori.

zac's mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:109

Post by zac's mum » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:08 pm

My boy (also no siblings) went through a mixed-age Montessori environment for 4 years. The benefits are pretty much like what you have described. When younger, he benefitted from the older kids “mothering” him. He also observed the older kids giving their show-and-tell sessions (they were naturally more articulate at that age). The teachers & older kids encouraged the younger babies no matter how simple their initial attempts at the basic show-and-tell.

Then later when he was in the older age group, he passed on his experience and knowledge by coaching the younger kids. Gives them a sense of responsibility and empathy through doing these.

I don’t really see what major concerns with a mixed-age group there would be. Montessori style does allow the teachers to coach the kids individually too (it is a hallmark in fact). So they progress at their own pace for each subject. The group interactions are a side benefit and quite good.

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by hb » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 pm

zac's mum wrote:
Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:08 pm
My boy (also no siblings) went through a mixed-age Montessori environment for 4 years. The benefits are pretty much like what you have described. When younger, he benefitted from the older kids “mothering” him. He also observed the older kids giving their show-and-tell sessions (they were naturally more articulate at that age). The teachers & older kids encouraged the younger babies no matter how simple their initial attempts at the basic show-and-tell.

Then later when he was in the older age group, he passed on his experience and knowledge by coaching the younger kids. Gives them a sense of responsibility and empathy through doing these.

I don’t really see what major concerns with a mixed-age group there would be. Montessori style does allow the teachers to coach the kids individually too (it is a hallmark in fact). So they progress at their own pace for each subject. The group interactions are a side benefit and quite good.
I agree with the last para. My older kid is 4 now and has been in a mixed-age Montessori childcare since she was 2. In this centre, the 3-6 yos are together (basically N1 to K2), and the 1.5-3 yos are cared for separately. I think the younger kids do benefit from having older kids to learn from (all kinds of things!), and from going at their own pace (not as an age group), and the older ones are made to take care of the younger kids in small ways. That said, some of the 6 yos are too cool to play with the 3 yos - but maybe that's also quite like a family.

Yhtyh
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by Yhtyh » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 pm

may i know which school is that? I am looking for a school now. Prefer between newton & stevens mrt

hb
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by hb » Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:54 pm

Yhtyh wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 pm
may i know which school is that? I am looking for a school now. Prefer between newton & stevens mrt
Mine is a small childcare centre in Tiong Bahru, so possibly not what you're looking for. Good luck!