Comfortable with an air-conditioned childcare centre?

Looking for that infant/childcare, pre-school or student care with caring teachers or enrichments? Share your findings here.

Comfortable with an air-conditioned childcare centre?

Postby qizimum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:49 am

Want to send son to an air-conditioned childcare centre, but, some feedback about the kids always sick? want to know some feedback?

qizimum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby tankee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:00 am

yes. some kids will fall sick (running nose) more frequently, especially in the initial few weeks; or when they are brought indoor after being all sweaty from outdoor game play.

if your DS is used to aircon and is healthy (do not fall sick often), then there is little worry. Pack a jacket and feed him Vit-C ....

by the way, do pop-by Newbies to self-intro, and allow us to warmly welcome you there. It is sort of SOP here.

:D

tankee
Site Admin

Postby qizimum » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:09 am

Thanks for your inf, i am really new to this so that I even don't understand some of your meaning for the words in short form. :?

qizimum
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:35 am

I agree with tankee mostly when kids come all sweating from outside and inside the temprature little cooler the kids tend to fall sick though it may depends from kids to kids...

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby auntieM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 pm

My DS's preschool is non-aircon till noon, open air dining area, then aircon rooms for afternoon activities when it gets warmer.
I realised that he seldom fall sick. During the HFMD and H1N1 times the number of kids affected were also minimal :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Actually the thing about air-conditioned centre is not only about the temperature but also the poor air circulation. Imagine, all the windows and doors are closed all the time and the aircon basically draw in that same air in the room cool it and spew it out again. And how often do these centres clean and maintain their aircons? If it is central aircon, even worse.

Most parents will prefer non-aircon centres as there is better ventillation. Those who prefer aircon will usually be those whose kids suffer from pretty bad eczema.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby tankee » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:04 pm

qizimum wrote:Thanks for your inf, i am really new to this so that I even don't understand some of your meaning for the words in short form. :?

DS = Darling Son (DS is a jargon here at KSP)

Vit-C = Vitamin C

self-intro = self introduction

SOP = standard operating precedure ..... another word, standard practise

tankee
Site Admin

Postby keenDaddy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

Hi,

Just some alternate views.... I am one who prefer air-con environment for my kid. When I was searching for a child care centre for my son some years back, I chose a air-con centre... 'cause I always find it more comfortable stepping in and centre also appears cleaner vs a non air-con one.

With S'pore weather, thought it will also be more conducive when the child is learning.... anyway, probably he will spending 90% of his time indoor. Ha.. ain't the parents also more productive in aircon offices? :P

Think all the negatives of the air-con env are all valid e.g. coming into the room after exercise, more prone to illness... Also believe after a while, if the kid has built up his immune system, shld not fall sick so often even in an aircon env. It is also getting more popular that aircon centres are installing air sanitizers...

A matter of choice...I guess

keenDaddy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby LKVM » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:23 pm

auntieM wrote:My DS's preschool is non-aircon till noon, open air dining area, then aircon rooms for afternoon activities when it gets warmer.
I realised that he seldom fall sick. During the HFMD and H1N1 times the number of kids affected were also minimal :wink:

wow that sounds perfect cause that way the air will not revolve around the same place which generally makes kids sick cause during the morning times all the windows will be opened... wish all the centers could be like those :pray:

LKVM
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby foreverj » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:25 pm

i think it also depends on the physical build and health condition of the kid. for kids who r asthmatic and prone to cough and flu, air-con is definitely no-good. i observe in my dd she even start having runny nose when we switch on the air-con at home at night. can't imagine her attending an air-con childcare. sigh... but i think for older kids and some kids, its not so bad. may adjust after a while....

foreverj
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Child Care, Kindergartens, Student Care