Travel : Portugal

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
mummychia
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:3

Re: Travel : Portugal

Post by mummychia » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:13 pm

:thankyou: for the write ups. All photos are soooooo beautiful :please:

jjxy mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:7

Post by jjxy mum » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Thank you Dnls mum...I never think of travelling to this place at all..maybe I should consider it too.

Love all your sharing in all the travel thread! :love:

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:23

Post by Dnls_mum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:55 am

Cloudeedaz, mummy chia , bbjx mum, thx!

Bbjx mum, I think most people won't even think of Portugal as a travel destination because we don't have direct flights there so it is quite inconvenient, considering we have many other travel destinations with direct flights. We flew in on SQ to Barcelona and took an internal flight to Madrid and started with Madrid. We flew out from Lisbon to London and caught an SQ flight back to SG.

This is very much an adult destination. I know my kids will be bored here, looking at churches, palaces, vineyards etc. A wine and dine destination. We had wine tasting everyday and champagne is served during breakfast at hotels as well as on the ship!

Part 5: Douro Valley (continue)

Quinta da Avessada:
As I mentioned in the previous post, there are many vineyards in the Douro Valley. The Cruise arranged for us to have a typical Portuguese dinner at Quinta da Avessada, a 160 year old estate producing Muscatel, a sweet wine. There was typical traditional Portuguese music played by a quartet for entertainment. The owner of Quinta da Avessada looks and acts so much like mr bean, he was hilarious! The food was only so so, but estate was pretty.

Dinner at Quinta da Avessada:

Quinta do Seixo:
Quinta do Seixo is the vineyard of renown wine brand Sanderman. We had a tour conducted by the vineyard on the wine making process. We were lucky that it was first day of harvesting and we saw grape pickers at work when we arrived. Unfortunately it was late afternoon and after the tour and wine tasting, the grape pickers had already called it a day so I did not get a picture of them at work. Besides the vineyard tour, you can also have a picnic in the vineyard. We had originally booked a picnic for the next morning, but in the end decided to visit Mateus palace instead.

Quinta do Seixo is a beautiful estate:

Mateus Palace
Mateus palace is a 18th century palace build by the count of villa real and has a beautiful garden and vineyard. You may recognize the palace is the picture on the labels of mateus wine.

Mateus Palace:

Lamego
Lamego is an attractive town with renaissance architecture.
The church of our lady of remedies at Lamego sits on a hill. The stairs leading up to it has tiles picture of biblical scenes, fountains etc. I find the stairs leading to it and its facade more attractive that inside the church.

Church of our lady of remedies, Lamego:

Monastery Alpendurada:
This is a 16th century Benedictine abbey converted to a boutique hotel. We had dinner at the cellar. I look a peak at a room which was converted from the monk's cell. Small but cute. From the abbey, you get a good view of Douro river too.

Monastery Alpendurada:

To be continued...........
Last edited by Dnls_mum on Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:14 am

Part 6:
I started this trip write up with Porto as it was my favorite city in this trip. Actually we took a cruise on the Douro River before disembarking at Porto. We started the trip with 3 nights in Madrid, before boarding our cruise ship at Vega Terron and cruising to Porto. After 2 nights in Porto, we went to Fatima, a 2 hours drive from Porto, enroute to Lisbon (another 2 hours from Fatima), where we stayed another 3 nights.

Fatima:
Fatima is a renown catholic Marian pilgrimage site. Mary appeared to 3 children here and gave 3 predictions. This is a quiet and peaceful place as the pilgrims normally arrive on the 13th of each mth when they have processions. The alter is built on the site if the apparition chapel.

Fatima:

To be continued.......

luvtravel
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by luvtravel » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:41 pm

Hi Dnls_mum,

Lovely photos and write-up.

Yeah, agreed with you, told hubby no family trip to Europe for the next few years as the kids wont be enjoy and will be super bored. :snooze:

Dnls_mum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Dnls_mum » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:38 am

part 7: Lisbon (final)

The place everyone goes to in Lisbon is the Belem area. We visited Jeronimes Monastary, a UNESCO World Heritage site. There is a separate entrance to the cloister which is beautiful. The Monastary itself also has a lot of carvings in the doors etc.

Jeronimes Monastery Cloister:

Just a few mins walk from the entrance of Jeronimes Monastery is Belem Cafe. This is where Portuguese egg tarts first started. You can either get a takeaway which has a long queue but moves really fast, or like us, we got a table in the cafe to enjoy the tarts and a coffee. Price was very reasonable. We paid only €4.50 for 2 tarts and a coffee. Wish we had more tarts :please: apparently these tarts were first made by the monks of the monastery.

Belem Portugese egg tarts. You can sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on the parts, but we did not.

After that we visited Belem Tower, another UNESCO world heritage site. It was the place where they used to send off the sailors on their voyages and expeditions when Portugal was at its prime.

Belem tower:

Then we went to Praca do Comercio, and had lunch at the Beer museum next to the square. From the square, you can walk into the shopping street.

We took a break back at the hotel, then later took a cab to Alfama, the old part of Lisbon. We could have walked from Praca do Comercio but it was uphill. The cab was not expensive, a few euros, and we took it to the top of the hill and walked down, visiting the cathedral along the way. Much more convenient and easier walk. You can try to catch a tram to Alfama too. The view of the red roofs from the top of the hill, is what you see is most photos of Lisbon.

Alfama:

One of the evenings, we had dinner at Restaurante Eleven, a one star Michelin restaurant. We were staying at Tiara park hotel, (recently became Intercontinental) and Restaurante eleven is just a short walk away. The Restaurant is in the park and every table overlooks the park. The price is reasonable, 2 of us had appetitsers, mains and only I got the dessert, and together with a bottle of wine, we paid €200. This is very reasonable considering our bottle of wine which cost €40+. In Singapore, you spend the same at a good restaurant but it is definitely not Michelin Star and no wine. One thing to note here is that if you share food, you need to pay 30% extra surcharge. So no such thing as sharing apps or dessert. Also, like all other restaurants in Portugal, you pay for what you eat. If you eat the bread and butter, you pay for it, if they bring bread and you don't want it, tell them, same for the butter. These are not free like in Singapore. Every little item is chargeable. As I could not decide which dessert to have, I had the dessert platter which was a small serving of the various different types of dessert which they have. Oh, I must say my foie gras app was yum!

Dinner at Restaurante Eleven (you see photos of more food than just for the 2 of us because we had dinner here with 2 other couples but we had separate bills, so we knew exactly how much we spent.)

We did a day trip from Lisbon to Sintra. We visited Pena Palace. Very beautiful and colorful. It would have been better if we had good weather, but we were unfortunately faced with thick mist at the hill top. The Palace is romanticist style encompassing different types of architecture. An unusual mix, and is of course another UNESCO World Heritage site. At the entrance, you can walk up the hill to the palace, or take a tram. We took a tram. Hehe...too lazy to walk. Save energy for touring the palace.

Pena Palace:

After that we had lunch at Sintra town, browse the shops and went back to Lisbon.

Sintra Town:

The end.

This is the end of my review of our Portugal Trip. I'll write about of our pre-cruise visit to Madrid, Toledo and Salamanca on a separate Spain thread.

Thanks for reading.

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:5

Post by RoastChickenDance » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:38 pm

highly recommend this cycling tour in lisbon
https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/67175

CerlynR
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by CerlynR » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:33 pm

One of the very reason why I wanna visit Spain is because of its climate. Mild winters with temperatures rarely drop below 5degrees is just the best climate for me!