Travel: Japan - General

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:2

Re: Travel: Japan - General

Post by .zeit » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:11 pm

CalvinS wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:49 pm
Estéema wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:24 pm
We had fun posing in kimono & samurai Armour & took their tea ceremony.
We've always want to visit Japan as a family and pose in Kimono and Samurai armor.. Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos, they're amazing!
Samurai armour? That must have been quite uncomfortable with the head gear and all. Most male tourists loan the haori hakama. Didn't see any ninjas; pehaps they fear they might look like they are into some cosplay.

Kimonos are still the most popular attire to loan in Kyoto. It's less than $100 only.

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by MyPillow » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:15 pm

Loan of kimono not ex in Osaka ( I think Tokyo higher cost) for short Duration but to top up the nice & correct hairdo maybe abt $50s - I can’t remember - but I know sort of near price as short duration Loan
I din do it with dd in Kyoto / Osaka - we are the shy type n dd din like to pretentiously pose for photos - itI was in winter too , saw one lady shivering wearing kimono in bamboo forest .
But now I think I would want to consider next time to wear kimono - non winter time . Short hair no need much hair do das well . We just need to make up ourselves diy

A fren of mine , loan whole day n took the trains to few attractions to take photos ...
There is a samurai gear rental plus photo in Osaka castle ground - can’t wear yo walk around , just photo taking - think it is too heavy to walk around n too uncomfortable with the metal pieces

Estéema
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:46

Post by Estéema » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:06 pm

This year’s Spring is abit too cold to dorn kimono on the street. Anyway, I’m not sure if I can balance in those wooden clogs. But didn’t see many men game for the special gear for photoshoots. Met a wedding couple tho in short white skirt. Wonder if she had those special heat sprays on her legs.

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by Hiaweh » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:04 pm

.zeit wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:40 am
Hiaweh wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:53 pm
Any ryokan to recommend in Hakone in June?
Depends on your budget and preferred views. Do you want a private onsen, Lake Ashi or Mt Fuji view?

I'm not into ryokans. So, Hotel Green Plaza Hakone fits my bill as the rotemburo promises a magnificent and unblocked view of Mt Fuji. That's all I need, not the Little Prince Museum, Pola Museum, the ropeway or pirate ship on Lake Ashi.

Lake Ashi cruise was so boring.
Thank you, Zeit. We just want to experience a Ryokan. Budget is round $600-800/night since there are 5 of us. Even if it's a hotel is also fine as we might move to Izu for 2 days after hakone.

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:48 pm

I believe the ladies wore their sweaters underneath the kimono, and the white socks are made of thermal material :) The rented slippers have rubber soles not wooden.

Most of them I saw were in the major district, which is Kiyomizudera and Higashiyama district. There is a love stone outside Kiyomizudera for people seeking love, so many locals also wore their kimonos there to pray for love luck.

I felt cold for them as they had to wear that from 10+am till 6.30pm to maximise the photoshoot period. Saw some kid wearing mittens and another in sports shoes. I also saw 2 Malay girls with tudung + kimono.

I think those sighted in Arashiyama and Fushimi Inari had rented theirs from those districts. There are some shops there too.

I didn't see any tourist wearing kimono in Hanamachi, Gion after dark. Could be mistaken as a maiko or geiko!

I suppose it's good fun if all your travel companions are game for it. Bob cut, long hair, bespectacled - all don't look nice.

And must do it during off-peak season as there are too many modern-dressed tourists photobombing...

.zeit
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Post by .zeit » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:58 pm

Hiaweh, I think best to check the connectivity from your prior destination before heading to Hakone. Hotel Green Plaza is pretty convenient and popular with tourists coming in from Shinjuku, but not sure if onward journey to Izu is smooth, unless you're driving?

As it is now, for family of 5, Jap style tatami rooms at HGP are already very expensive for coming June. Selling fast too. Popular/nice decor ryokans are definitely not cheap. Some cheaper ones may be in the mountains. Can check booking.com :)

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by RoastChickenDance » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 am

A manga lover's Tokyo travel guide https://www.instagram.com/p/BwJj_0dhqsD/

VJA
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by VJA » Thu May 16, 2019 4:28 pm

Hi, I would like to ask if anyone has join the japan tour package from EU asia previously or is going to join their japan tour package soon?

Alex75
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Alex75 » Mon May 20, 2019 12:16 pm

RoastChickenDance wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 am
This on is cool! :celebrate:

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by RoastChickenDance » Mon May 20, 2019 7:00 pm

Alex75 wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 12:16 pm
RoastChickenDance wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 am
This on is cool! :celebrate:
I bought the book - highly recommend it!