Travel: Malaysia - Johor

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:26

Re: Travel: Malaysia - Johor

Post by starlight1968sg » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 pm

YL
Haha ... am ok with paradigm mall and plan to go again soon

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:98

Post by lee_yl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:37 pm

MrsKiasu wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

leeyl, you drove arh?
Ya, I was the one driving. Very stressful leh. We made 2 wrong turns on the highway and it took us 20 mins to U-turn. Luckily it was daytime. Can’t imagine night time when visibility is low, can’t even see road signs (if there is any in the first place!).

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm

floppy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:24 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:29 pm
I don’t find KSL mall that great to be honest but somehow, I don’t think I will ever go back Paradigm Mall but I don’t mind KSL, not forgetting Min-Ann 马蹄酥 is just across the road.
I did say KSL Mall is a fairly low bar :lol: Most Singaporeans are quite lost in JB. Hence, they stick to the malls they know or are near to the causeway.

AEON Tebrau is my preferred mall on that side of JB (IKEA and Tesco Extra can be found next door in their own buildings). Easy to get to if you take the highway (EDL) immediately after the CIQ. On the other side (2nd Link), AEON Bukit Indah is my favorite. Both malls are popular with Singaporeans and Malaysians (and I do mean popular).

Generally, Mount Austin (near AEON Tebrau) and Bukit Indah are also nicer place to chill, go cafe hopping and eat compared to downtown JB. If you are tired of the mall, you can also drive / walk around the town to explore the various hipster cafes and restaurants.
I think I have been to AEON before but Tuas 2nd link is a further drive. :roll:

I can understand why KSL is popular. Firstly, it has a hotel linked to the mall (great short stay-cation). I stayed there last year Dec and the hotel was packed with Singaporeans! There is also a Dinosaur theme water play/pool at the hotel which kids love (we didn’t go though).

For those not staying overnight, KSL mall has a few restaurants which are good!! Monday evening there’s even a large scale outdoor pasar malam.

For aunties, there are many hair saloons, manicure/pedicure and for uncles there are relaxing Thai massage (actually my kids and mum also went) and Tesco supermarket for groceries before returning. J.Co donuts only cost S$1 each, Starbucks/Coffee Bean drinks are reasonably priced, factors which make the place good enough for a day trip.

It’s just 5 min across the causeway (won’t get lost on highway) and when you drive into KSL mall carpark, you see rows and rows of Singapore cars, it just makes you feel so much at ease in a “foreign country”, :lol:

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:48 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:47 pm
YL
Haha ... am ok with paradigm mall and plan to go again soon
We passed by SOGO Mid Valley Southkey.
Brand new mega-mall!

Avoid June holiday (esp weekends) , the jam can be quite horrible.

mummyxoxo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by mummyxoxo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:54 pm

I travelled to paradigm mall with my hubby and kids during hari raya via public bus. Must say that the large complex has lots of food choices and good to walk around. Impressed!

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm

lee_yl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm

I can understand why KSL is popular. Firstly, it has a hotel linked to the mall (great short stay-cation). I stayed there last year Dec and the hotel was packed with Singaporeans! There is also a Dinosaur theme water play/pool at the hotel which kids love (we didn’t go though).

For those not staying overnight, KSL mall has a few restaurants which are good!! Monday evening there’s even a large scale outdoor pasar malam.

For aunties, there are many hair saloons, manicure/pedicure and for uncles there are relaxing Thai massage (actually my kids and mum also went) and Tesco supermarket for groceries before returning. J.Co donuts only cost S$1 each, Starbucks/Coffee Bean drinks are reasonably priced, factors which make the place good enough for a day trip.

It’s just 5 min across the causeway (won’t get lost on highway) and when you drive into KSL mall carpark, you see rows and rows of Singapore cars, it just makes you feel so much at ease in a “foreign country”, :lol:
:lol:

Yup, I think you have listed all the reasons why KSL is popular.

TBH, the drive to AEON Bukit Indah isn’t that bad - highway all the way but will take less than 20 mins. The drive from my place to Tuas takes just as much time as the drive from 2nd Link to Bukit Indah, jam at the CIQ notwithstanding. There are also times when I use the causeway and Skudai Highway, if the causeway jam isn't that bad (viewing the traffic cameras before driving over would be most helpful).

Driving in JB and Malaysia in general is not that difficult. There are proper signages and roads these days on the Peninsula are quite good (that is, as far as Malaysia’s standards go). If unsure of directions, there's always Google to lending a helping hand.

EstherP
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by EstherP » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:46 am

Sunrise, sunset, and the jet skis in between.. the things I missed the most. Hoping we can travel again next month.

lee_yl
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by lee_yl » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 pm

floppy wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:29 pm
lee_yl wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:44 pm

:lol:

Yup, I think you have listed all the reasons why KSL is popular.

TBH, the drive to AEON Bukit Indah isn’t that bad - highway all the way but will take less than 20 mins. The drive from my place to Tuas takes just as much time as the drive from 2nd Link to Bukit Indah, jam at the CIQ notwithstanding. There are also times when I use the causeway and Skudai Highway, if the causeway jam isn't that bad (viewing the traffic cameras before driving over would be most helpful).

Driving in JB and Malaysia in general is not that difficult. There are proper signages and roads these days on the Peninsula are quite good (that is, as far as Malaysia’s standards go). If unsure of directions, there's always Google to lending a helping hand.
I think I have been there twice. Once with my relative, we followed behind his car closely, the 2nd time was when we went Legoland (overnight stay). Google map says it takes an hour to reach Aeon Bukit Indah? Oh, that will be challenging for me. Even with GPS, I missed two exits on the highway that day as I couldn’t stop/slow down my car to read the signboards/road signs.

Two questions:
The moment we exit JB checkpoint (via Woodlands), the road immediately splits into two, :sweat: the lane on the left hand side slopes downwards while the lane on the right hand side slopes upwards. I always mix up which lane to go and can’t react fast enough cos there are cars behind me. Confusing.

Second question is, what is the likelihood of a Singapore new car gettystolen in JB shopping mall carpark.

Thanks

MyPillow
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:16

Post by MyPillow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Leeyl, new car is flashy . I din drive in with the current drive even if it is not new, may get unwanted attention. we used to drive in with k car when we had two cars then...

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:127

Post by floppy » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:54 am

lee_yl wrote:
Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:57 pm

I think I have been there twice. Once with my relative, we followed behind his car closely, the 2nd time was when we went Legoland (overnight stay). Google map says it takes an hour to reach Aeon Bukit Indah? Oh, that will be challenging for me. Even with GPS, I missed two exits on the highway that day as I couldn’t stop/slow down my car to read the signboards/road signs.

Two questions:
The moment we exit JB checkpoint (via Woodlands), the road immediately splits into two, :sweat: the lane on the left hand side slopes downwards while the lane on the right hand side slopes upwards. I always mix up which lane to go and can’t react fast enough cos there are cars behind me. Confusing.

Second question is, what is the likelihood of a Singapore new car gettystolen in JB shopping mall carpark.

Thanks
You may want to double check again. Legoland to AEON Bukit Indah only takes 11 mins according to my Google map :lol: Been there, done that. I think 11mins is reasonably accurate. It's a fairly straightforward route, I am sure you can do it.

Answer 1:
Left lane leads to Petronas and Shell petrol station - a very important pitstop if you likes to drive in with your tank nearly empty. The road will also leads you to JB downtown, KSL Mall, Taman Sentosa, etc. The right lane leads you to E14 / Lebuhraya EDL to Mount Austin, AEON Tebrau, IKEA and Tesco Desa Tebrau. It is also a more direct, albeit longer and more costly route to link you up with the North-South Highway.

Answer 2:
People seems to have a fear of having their brand new toy stolen in JB. The truth is, new or old, it doesn't really matter. It's the make / model that you should be concern about.

There are generally 2 reasons why a car is stolen:
1. For resale, as parts or whole
2. Joy ride

For reason 1, the popular make / model are the Toyotas and the Hondas. Even if you are driving a old, beat up Toyota Vios or Wish (or Honda Stream or Civic), you will be prime target compared to that shiny new BMW or Mercedes park next to you. Generally, there is less demand for parts of European cars. Thus, stealing a European model is quite frankly a waste of the thieves' time.

For reason 2, it can happen to any car - old or new, if precaution has not been taken. Notwithstanding, older cars are generally more popular targets because they are actually easier to steal :lol: Newer cars usually come equip with those fanciful anti-theft systems which make it more time-consuming to steal.