Travel to Singapore and Enrichment Classes

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel to Singapore and Enrichment Classes

Postby optimistforum » Sun May 09, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi

As some of you may know I am a UK citizen, living in the UK who subscribes to this forum.

We are planning our annuals holidays, Austria this year, Mexico in 2011 and 2012 we wish to visit Singapore for two reasons holidays, and to put my children into say two week enrichment classes in English and Maths.

I have two questions:

1. My sons will be in the Singapore equivalent of Primary 3 and Primary 1. Can anyone reccomend particular enrichment classes to attend, and times of year they occur?

2. If we visit Singapore, what areas of interest would you recommend for my wife and I during this 2 week stay. Also how far away is Bali?

Regards
Optimistforum
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby titank » Sun May 09, 2010 9:38 pm

Dear Sir,

If you intend to put your child for enrichment class for a period of 2 weeks, the only option available would be either June or Decemeber which is the major school holidays.

BTW, what type of enrichment are you looking at?English, Maths, Chinese?

titank
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby optimistforum » Sun May 09, 2010 10:27 pm

titank wrote:Dear Sir,

If you intend to put your child for enrichment class for a period of 2 weeks, the only option available would be either June or Decemeber which is the major school holidays.

BTW, what type of enrichment are you looking at?English, Maths, Chinese?

Thank you for responding titank

As I mentioned DS1 and DS2 will be in the equivalent of your P3 and P1, in 2012 (for June classes), or P4 and P2 in December 2012.

For both DS1 and DS2, it would be Vocab, Grammar, Comprehension, Arithmetic, Data Processing (analysing charts, tables, etc) and Problem-Solving Maths.

DS1 and DS2 follow the MOE here, as supplementary work at home. We therefore use your assessment books to provide them with challenge and rigour.

PS, our school holidays are in July, but are flexible in December. Watching programmes of Singapore on the Travel channels has also reinforced my desire to visit your wonderfuly City-State.
How's the weather in December?

PPS. I am not that clever :oops: , but what does the term "BTW" mean? :?
optimistforum
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby auntieM » Sun May 09, 2010 11:04 pm

Hi there,
BTW- By the way :wink:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby verykiasu2010 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:07 am

enrichment centres do run intensive courses during the singapore school holidays, for various subjects like math (competition math, math olympiad etc), science, english, speech & drama, etc

at junior level, some of the course like math olympiad is at introductory level

if you google for it, key words like "tuition centres singapore" will show up some centres and you can email them after browsing their sites
verykiasu2010
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Travel to Singapore and Enrichment Classes

Postby dimsum » Mon May 10, 2010 3:55 am

optimistforum wrote:2. If we visit Singapore, what areas of interest would you recommend for my wife and I during this 2 week stay. Also how far away is Bali?

Your 2nd question is a bit broad. If you can tell us your interest (culture? food? etc), it will be easier for us to provide advice. But I recommend this website to do your travel planning. This is the official website of Singapore Tourism Board. You will get all the tips and info you want.

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content/tr ... ience.html

Flight duration between Sin and Bali is 2.5hrs.

dimsum
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby kaydenbrown » Fri May 28, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi fellow UK parent!

I think that many enrichments classes here would probably not be unique to Singapore as they can also be found in UK. My personal recommendation is that in the UK they have less resources on the hard maths and sciences skills. I find that in Singapore the centres providing such classes are better than in UK so you might want to look into that.

kaydenbrown
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

any feedback on maths olympiad program?

Postby simplejan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:16 pm

what do the children learn actually? blur...worth the money?

simplejan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: any feedback on maths olympiad program?

Postby yeomaylin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:13 am

simplejan wrote:what do the children learn actually? blur...worth the money?

simplejan, i have seen Popular Bookshop selling math olympiad assessment books. You may want to take a look at these assessment books to have an idea what kind of maths problem are taught?

yeomaylin
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas