Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres

Travel: United Kingdom - London

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Re: Travel: United Kingdom - London

Postby iluvcruising2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:30 pm

Sel69 wrote:
iluvcruising2 wrote:
Sel69 wrote:Dear iluvcruising2 and slmkhoo,

Thank you for your comments and advice re the weather. :thankyou:

I am now working out a rough itinerary to know if I should be buying a return ticket to London or buy an open jaw ticket (SIN-EDI-LHR-SIN). How much time should I allow for transit? Is 1.5H too short? I am thinking of either doing a round trip from London to Edinburgh and then back to London or perhaps flying in to Edinburgh, tour Scotland (for 3-4 days) then drive down to London stopping at Lake District, Liverpool, Straford-upon-Avon. Any comments and advice?

Thanking all in advance. :smile:

If you fly in and out of different cities, chances are the tickets would be more expensive, at least on some airlines. You can price the different airlines to see their prices. I recall that middle eastern airlines (e.g. Qatar, Emirates, Turkish) have very reasonable pricing if you fly in and out of different cities. For that reason, we have flown with them when we wanted to enter and exit different parts of Europe. E.g. we flew Singapore-Copenhagen and then London Singapore on Turkish. We separately booked British Airways for the Copenhagen to London leg.

One way is to get a return flight in/out of London. But get a separate one-way ticket from London to Edinburgh or London to Glasgow.

Thanks iluvcruising2. I’m considering BA even though they do not have positive reviews. Heard and read about their lousy service etc. But we prefer direct flights and their tix are about $350 cheaper than SQ. Cost for return tix on BA is $1175 per pax. And it cost only $60 more to buy the open jaw tix. So very likely I will settle for BA. Just wanted to know how much time for transit? Is 1.5H enough? Or should I give myself a bit more time just in case of flight delay etc?

Thank you.

Hi again,

To clarify, you will purchase the ticket from BA? In that case, 1.5 hr should suffice. Anyway, since your ticket is with BA, if for some reason you miss the connecting flight due to no fault of yours (i.e. the flight from SIN arrives late at LHR), I believe they will put you on a later flight. BA operates from Terminal 5 (which I recall is an almost exclusive BA terminal). So if your ticket is with BA all the way and in a single booking, i think 1.5 hrs is fairly safe.

This was our BA flight from Copenhagen to LHR back in 2016. I think BA has cut back their inflight service for short haul routes. No more free food on board. You have to buy - like a budget Airline.
https://youtu.be/b7R5VqmHnzY

iluvcruising2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby iluvcruising2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:33 pm

slmkhoo wrote:
Sel69 wrote:Just wanted to know how much time for transit? Is 1.5H enough? Or should I give myself a bit more time just in case of flight delay etc?

Thank you.

Heathrow is a large and busy airport. Flights can be delayed, security can take ages, and it can be a long walk from place to place. I generally allow at least 3 hrs between flights, even more if you need to collect baggage and re-check in.

The key is whether your bags will be checked through, and also you have to factor transit between terminals, if your flight departs from a different terminal. The Heathrow Flight connections online service is very useful - https://www.heathrow.com/flight-connections; try it out!

iluvcruising2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby iluvcruising2 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:38 pm

Sel69 wrote:Dear iluvcruising2 and slmkhoo,

Thank you for your comments and advice re the weather. :thankyou:

I am now working out a rough itinerary to know if I should be buying a return ticket to London or buy an open jaw ticket (SIN-EDI-LHR-SIN). How much time should I allow for transit? Is 1.5H too short? I am thinking of either doing a round trip from London to Edinburgh and then back to London or perhaps flying in to Edinburgh, tour Scotland (for 3-4 days) then drive down to London stopping at Lake District, Liverpool, Straford-upon-Avon. Any comments and advice?

Thanking all in advance. :smile:

After Stonehenge, we visited Stratford Upon Avon during our driving trip - a quaint little town. I guess people go where because of Shakespeare, but frankly, nothing fantastic - https://youtu.be/rn2ngJnPwLI

We stayed at the Premier Inn Stratford Upon Avon Waterways.
https://youtu.be/942v8IvHo4c

The Wetherspoon's Pub Chain is a decent place to get Pub food, which isn't bad really. This Wetherspoon's pub (called Golden Bee) was in Stratford Upon Avon. We had quite a lot of food for 27 GBP.
https://youtu.be/yzf_7aAY7OA

iluvcruising2
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby mummychua » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:08 am

Sel69 wrote:
mummychua wrote:
Hi Sel69,

I'm planning a similar trip. Either flight into Edinburgh at the start of the trip or return to Singapore from Edinburgh. But there is no direct flight to Edinburgh, all airline transit in London. and yes, 1.5hrs can be a little too short unless you are booking both tix from the same airline then they will transfer the luggage for you. i was told that one need a minimum of 4hrs for transfer between different airline.

cant find the so called budget tix from British Airway from their website. otherwise i will have book my return from them since Norwegian air return is not that cheap.

I read that lake district is not ideal during nov period. wet and cold, not suitable for hiking which is what the area is famous for.

I wonder if there are any guided tour (~3day?) for the highlands during end nov or early dec. I'm so not comfortable driving in the wild. haha...

Hi hi mumychua,

When are you travelling? Yes no direct flight into Edinburgh. Got to change at Healthrow. I checked BA, arrive from SIN at T5 and depart to Edinburgh also from T5. But I think you’re right that 1.5H for transit a bit too rushing.

And re Lake District, if not suitable for hiking, what other things can we do? Possible to drive to the various spots to sightsee?

at the moment, we plan to go at the start of the dec holiday. but everything will depends if the Jacobite train runs during the end of November. if they do then i will postpone my trip for a wk so that we could ride on it.

Since both your tix are from BA then 1.5hrs should be ok as you will not need to check in and out of luggage. i'm planning to take norwegian air to london, sleeper train up to Edinburgh then BA back to london and immediately flight back to Sg. therefore i will need more time for transit. it will be great if i can get cheap return tix from BA direct straight from Edinburgh to Sg.

i will leave lake district out if we cant do some hiking. i dont want to be rushing from places to places just for clocking attendance. so at the moment just london and edinburgh and the highlands. november is not a ideal time to visit the highlands but after reading the "outlanders" books, i'm a like obsesses over that place. same goes with harry potter. my dh thinks that im a little crazy. :dancing: :siao:

mummychua
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Zeit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:43 am

doodbug wrote:Norwegian Premium is usually priced way below SQ's Premium Economy plus Norwegian's Premium fares allow for a lot more flexibility- hence I tried it last year. Norwegian Premium seats are a lot a lot a lot larger than SQ's Premium Economy and the recline is much better as well.
You gotta pay for blankets, I recall. But it was winter and I had my winter coat with me, hence I did not have to order one.
There was no salmon sandwich but really, the catering was simple but simply edible - nothing to complain about.
I really do appreciate it being a direct flight. Time is important as I don't have that many days of leave!

doodbug: May I know if you saw other passengers who didn't book Premium or top up to reserve a seat on Norwegian queuing up to grab the seats like Tiger Airways passengers in the past? The article I posted above mentioned something like first come first served to get seats on DI flights?

MyPillow wrote:Doodbug, zeit thks for the taxi info.
I will be London city for few days in June then a customised tour with some relatives . Austria/Swiss probably next yr end or year after ... depends on whether I can figure out well the diy route , we not pro , no ski equipment , only do for casual fun :)

OIC, thought you're going to Central EU cos dc are in aesthetics. Most parents go to central EU and even Eastern EU cos they learn music.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby doodbug » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:50 am

Hi Zeit
Premium on Norwegian was full. 100% full. No option to top up to fly Premium on the day itself.
When you book Premium online, you get to select seats immediately. Actually if you need full fare flexibility, I find the pricing for Premium Flex quite reasonable for a fully flexible fare that even allows for refunds. (I have not tried requesting a refund before so I don't know how easy or difficult the process is.)
Last edited by doodbug on Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

doodbug
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Zeit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:52 am

iluvcruising2 wrote:
After Stonehenge, we visited Stratford Upon Avon during our driving trip - a quaint little town. I guess people go where because of Shakespeare, but frankly, nothing fantastic - https://youtu.be/rn2ngJnPwLI

Maybe you were too busy taking videos and didn't have time to savour Stratford upon Avon? :rotflmao: :wink:

There're other sites like Shakespeare's Schoolroom & Guildhall (King Edward VI) Shakespeare attended as a child, Harvard House (founder of Harvard U), Holy Trinity Church (where he was baptised/buried), his sister's house Hall's Croft, Anne Hathaway's Cottage, River Avon, Mary Arden's House and RSC :)

I also went to the Registry of Marriage at Stratford upon Avon to kaypoh. Suspected that was where LKY and KGC could have ROM'd :scratchhead:

The high street was rather quaint during Christmas with some market stalls.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zeit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:31 am

doodbug wrote:Hi Zeit
Premium on Norwegian was full. 100% full. No option to top up to fly Premium on the day itself.
When you book Premium online, you get to select seats immediately. Actually if you need full fare flexibility, I find the pricing for Premium Flex quite reasonable for a fully flexible fare that even allows for refunds. (I have not tried requesting a refund before so I don't know how easy or difficult the process is.)

Thank you. It's better to reserve seats than to queue up for seats.

I wonder if BA's LCC is also on first come first served basis.

One more thing. How much do they charge for mineral water? It's a 13-14 hour flight, and if there's no free flow of water or juices offered, passengers might be parched.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby doodbug » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:33 am

For Norwegian Premium, water and drinks are freeflow throughout the flight!!

doodbug
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Jennifer » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Eurostar recently launched the high speed train from London direct to Amsterdam, 3hr 41min travelling time.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

PreviousNext

Return to Holiday Ideas

Find Tuition/Enrichment Centres