Travel: United Kingdom - London

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Re: Travel: United Kingdom - London

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:07 pm

FantasyLandDreams wrote:
doratheexplorer wrote:Hi may I would take a tour to Stonehenge/ bath and another one to Windsor, Oxford and Cotswold. There is a group tour for these 2 and then I can free up some days and break up my sightseeing in London spread it out around in London itself. Would like to visit the monopoly places so I would have more days to use. One more thing is the Canterbury Leeds castle good to see or else I remove it coz I heard the Leeds castle very nice my older ones love to see castles so I slotted them in but if nothing great then no point le
I found these two tours too rush and ended very late, so please don’t do back to back.

Windsor/Oxford/cotsworld:
Reached oxford at 3.30pm and had lunch there. In the end spent one hour at Oxford only without even going into library as claimed. Bought some gifts there. By 4pm everything is in darkness. Reached cotsworld at 8pm and had dinner there in darkness. Personal opinion, maybe do a tour without cotsworld so that you can see more of Oxford and Windsor? By the time I reach hotel, 9 plus 10pm already!

Stonehenge/bath:
Only had one hour in bath, did not even include tickets to see the inside of the so-called spa! I think bath, really better to stay one night there. Very disappointing.

Initially wanted to see Leeds too, but too tired to slot in another day tour. :p Actually it is better to go London in June rather than December! My Friend went in June and enjoyed herself more than us despite the same tours!
Yes, do remember that in winter, "daylight" (which can be quite dim depending on weather) is from 9am to 4pm. In June, it will be bright from very early to 10pm.

Jennifer
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:119

Post by Jennifer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 pm

MP,
our first few days in London will he at Rembrandt Hotel.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Post by Zeit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:38 pm

dorathexplorer:
Hey, you were the threadstarter of this thread back in 2010 :) So I presume you're one UK old hand since you had been there at least twice. You should've visited all the classic destinations in London with your MIL, 2 kids, hubs :-) Am sure you know what winter clothings to wear since your 2 teens were also very young back then.

As for the new member, 3 year old, taking the busybus tours from Liverpool, I'd like to remind you to ask the agent for a car seat for the toddler. I think there are positive reviews on busybus on tripadvisor. I can understand how troublesome it is to take along your MIL (now 8 years older since 2010) and toddler to visit North Wales and Lake District towns and villages. Best to join a reliable tour group as you can place your stroller on the 16-seater throughout the day.

Am sure your hubs know what to do at Anfield. Why don't you stay at Shankly Hotel or those near World Museum which is the pickup point for the BusyBus day tours?
Last edited by Zeit on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:49 pm

doratheexplorer wrote:Hi may I would take a tour to Stonehenge/ bath and another one to Windsor, Oxford and Cotswold. There is a group tour for these 2 and then I can free up some days and break up my sightseeing in London spread it out around in London itself. Would like to visit the monopoly places so I would have more days to use. One more thing is the Canterbury Leeds castle good to see or else I remove it coz I heard the Leeds castle very nice my older ones love to see castles so I slotted them in but if nothing great then no point le
You are also going to Kent? Wow...so packed. But if you're into Chaucer, Magna Carta, well, you must visit Cantebury then :)

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:54 pm

xjysg wrote:Hi, hope to get some advice here.

We will be in London during Christmas period. I understand that there's no public transport running on 25th itself. Our rental is a tube stop north of King's Cross. Would it be safe to cycle that day? I think normal days with traffic might not but what with the empty streets? My son is 1.35m but he's an extremely good cyclist. Will the bikes be too tall for him? Or we should just laze ard and explore by foot our neighborhood which isn't much?

.ky.
Yes, no transport on 25th. But on 24th, there are night buses and tube has extended hours methinks. Yes, 25th can definitely cycle cos there's less traffic. Other days also can cycle, but you stay in bike lanes or parks.

Yes, the cosharing bikes are too high for 1.35m. I think will be ok for 1.5m tall people, cos while you can adjust the saddle, your arms may be too short to reach and manoeuvre the handle! Bring your own foldable bike la. I always check in my own bike; no need to rent! lol...

Btw, you can rent kiddo bikes in Cambridge. Oxford should have too.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:15 pm

Jennifer wrote:
doratheexplorer wrote:Oh my Buckingham is not open for public ah haiz was looking forward to see the inside royals. :cry:
only open to public twice a year during certain months.
you should look up its opening period.
I am visiting London this Sept end, will give Buckingham Palace a miss this round as I could not fit the visit into the itinerary.
It's a good tour but I think dora's toddler cannot go in (better check cos you can only use the Palace toilet at the beginning and at the end).

Primary school kids can enter. Airport-style security clearance. But make sure your kids are the obedient & attentive type, not hyperactive, boisterous, talkative type. It's a serious, high-brow, intensive guided tour by Palace licensed guides in a working palace. You can hear a pin drop kind... :sweat:

NB: I think no more tours of some rooms from 2019. Renovations have since been extended to those sections.
Last edited by Zeit on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:55 pm

doratheexplorer wrote:...
29 nov - tower bridge, londonbridge, the shard and st paul's cathedral, borough market
3 dec - morning train back to london - afternoon go to natural museum and london museum (which one has the dinosaur fossils my son loves that) and if time permits what else can i do coz i know 5 pm it starts to get colder and sky dark
4 dec - oxford university and bleinham palace ( i wanted to make a trip to cambridge uni but not sure if open coz there r no day trips to oxford n cambridge uni for dec)
8 dec - buckingham palace, westminster abbey, big ben and london eye
i heard primark is cheap any other places to shop for kids n teens.

this is my itinerary please take a look and suggest thank you so much
Why the Shard? You staying at Shangrila Hotel? I just viewed from downstairs. hahah..Borough Market is GREAT!!! I bought a lot of produce from there. Extended hours in 3rd week of Dec.

London Museum = British Museum, right? British Museum is a must. My favourite section is the Horology room where you get to see all the antique clocks and watches from the 18th-19th centuries. But, I personally prefer V&A to Brit Museum.

Oxford University - stay a night there cos there are many sites to cover.

Cambridge - go punting please! Also try to get into Wren Library @ Trinity College. Both university towns are like mini-theme parks where your dc can navigate around easily using a map.

Big Ben/Westminster Abbey can be combined with Westminster Palace or Houses of Parliament. They are all under renovation now and partially covered.

Yes, Primark is like all the aunties and uncles' fav 'H&M' stopover in the UK. Not bad la...
Last edited by Zeit on Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

doratheexplorer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by doratheexplorer » Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:48 pm

Hi Zeit you are right i was the one doratheexplorer who opened both the threads for london trips however my dream vacation did not materialise due to various reasons. Haiz. After so many years i managed to convince hubby and finally make my dream come true but because of the years passed many things have changed or would have changed in terms of visiting london so i am once again asking all teh same old questions loh to make sure my holiday in london will not have a problem. I am the same person asking about the liverpool thingy i think you thought its a different person ah. After the many years i gave birth to my 3rd kid my 3 year old who was not in the picture when i first startted this thread. Thanks Zeit i though there is nothing to see in liverpool until you highlighted the christmas market and cathedral.

The shard - no i am not staying in shangrila i though people were saying good views at top floor so i just slot in but i will give that a miss and go borough market instead.

oh so the palace tours my 3 year old not allowed. was looking forward to that !

perhaps when i am coming back from liverpool i should stop at oxford for 2 night stay and cover oxford and cotswold region. would that be a good idea?

slmkhoo
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:209

Post by slmkhoo » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:20 pm

doratheexplorer wrote:perhaps when i am coming back from liverpool i should stop at oxford for 2 night stay and cover oxford and cotswold region. would that be a good idea?
My impression is that you don't intend to drive? In which case, it will be very hard to see the Cotswolds unless you book on a tour. Even if you find a bus/train to one of the Cotswold towns, you won't really be able to see much on your own. There may be tours departing Oxford, but you'll have to look. I've never tried, but you could look at this:
https://www.experienceoxfordshire.org/o ... old-tours/

Yes, I think it would save you time and energy if you stayed in Oxford for a couple of nights.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:40 pm

doratheexplorer wrote:Hi Zeit you are right i was the one doratheexplorer who opened both the threads for london trips however my dream vacation did not materialise due to various reasons. Haiz. After so many years i managed to convince hubby and finally make my dream come true but because of the years passed many things have changed or would have changed in terms of visiting london so i am once again asking all teh same old questions loh to make sure my holiday in london will not have a problem. I am the same person asking about the liverpool thingy i think you thought its a different person ah. After the many years i gave birth to my 3rd kid my 3 year old who was not in the picture when i first startted this thread. Thanks Zeit i though there is nothing to see in liverpool until you highlighted the christmas market and cathedral.

The shard - no i am not staying in shangrila i though people were saying good views at top floor so i just slot in but i will give that a miss and go borough market instead.

oh so the palace tours my 3 year old not allowed. was looking forward to that !

perhaps when i am coming back from liverpool i should stop at oxford for 2 night stay and cover oxford and cotswold region. would that be a good idea?
:imanisland: OIC! OK, I thought I was talking to a 2-year-old post, so I deleted my entry on Liverpool. :lol:

But the Liverpool Christmas market wasn't that great. It rained on the night I went to the market. Liverpool is boring compared to Manchester. Manchester has a lot of business / MICE visitors and MBA grad students.

Well, I guess you could stay in Oxford for 2 nights and self-drive to Cotswolds, or join a day tour from Oxford city centre. Actually, there are cheap rooms in the college halls in summer, but I think it'll be hard to get a room in December as they've not graduated yet.

Oxford Visitor Info Centre organises day tours to those places you want to see. You can also buy a 2-hr guided walking tour by their green badge guides. I'm just hoping your toddler won't make noise as the guide'll take you into some colleges' chapels and grand dining hall. There's a lot of walking on cobblestoned paths to be done.

With No. 3 in tow, I regret to inform you you can forget about the famous Bodleian Libraries in Oxford (Divinity School & Duke Humfrey’s Library), which were famously featured in the Harry Potter films. :sad: But...you can let MIL take care of toddler while you & hubs take the 2 teens into the Library (subject to cancellation due to events that day). Pls prebook.

In any case, Buckingham tour is out for you in Dec, with or without your toddler. The winter private tours only start 2-3 days before Christmas. Not sure what the royal schedule is like this winter.