Great overseas get aways

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Postby mintcc » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:49 am

Oh, I heard about that place when I was looking up on Surabaya last year (there is also one there) But end up didn't had a chance to go.

Another good place to go for a short trip is Bali. Most people feel that it's not very children friendly but there are many places there which are interesting to kids. - There a Turtle Island a short boat ride away. The Boat will stop by an area where it is clear and we can feed the fishes. The turtle farm rear turtles and we can look at and touch turtles, domesticated bats, hedgehogs, eagles and falcons. There are also several monkey forests and lots of nice beach where children can enjoy the sand and the waves.

mintcc
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby EN » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:15 pm

I love Bali but have never brought my kids for vacation there. After the bombing, I'm quite hesitant to bring my kids.

Went to Sabah recently. I've tried a couple of hotels in Sabah & for family vacation, I like Sabah Shangrila Rasa Ria. The hotel is right in front of the open sea with no other hotels nearby. The water is clear, shallow & the sand is flat. Ideal for small children to play without parents worrying too much. Able to spot some fishes during low tide in the evening. Soft white sand for building sand castle. The normal room is big enough for family of four. There's kids club that my kids totally love to go (it's FOC). This place enable my kids to mingle with kids from other countries. Play Sabah traditional games, doing craft work, playing kites, signature hunts & particapte in lighting ceremony, where they get to dress up as prince & princess & sit on the throne. There a mini touch animal enclosure, horse riding for both adults & kids along the beach (even for the inexperience), white water rafting (so mild, kids can enjoy too), gorgeous sunset & island hoping.

There's catamaran, ATV, spa that parents can enjoy while the kids are having fun in the kids club.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby spikey » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:29 am

Anyone here have recommendations for the places to go during a 10 day trip to Gold Coast / Melbourne?

spikey
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:30 pm

spikey, I've never been to Gold Coast but if economy is willing will reach there one day :)

I've been to Melbourne years ago with dh, ds then 1 & dd then 3. We stayed in Stamford Plaza as it allows me to do light cooking/warm up food (difficult to eat out with two naughty kids, laundry, ample space & a walking distance to shopping areas, parks & railway. Here are what that I loves about Melbourne.

- Beautiful homes architecture.
- Funny weather (extremely wintery cold in the morning & oppsss like Singapore hot in the late afternoon)
- Fitzroy Gardens (in love with the conservatory - swoon...) http://www.fitzroygardens.com/
- Great Ocean Road (we skip this cause my kids too young to enjoy long road journey
- Dandenong ranges, we took the Puffing Billy, the restored steam train just like the old days. On the way to the railway, the bus stop by for English muffin (it's extremely good as one English lady from Britain commented "it's authentic English tea time & very rare to have it this good). Outside this restaurant, there are wild Rosella birds that you can feed. Bird seed can be bought from the restaurant.
- Hot air balloon ride in Yarra Valley (there are age & height guidelines). My dh who has acrophobia, sit this out & look after our kids. Got to wake up like 4/5 am for the ride. We stayed a few nights in Yarra Valley but can't remember the accommodation name.
- City Circle Tram (http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/info.cf ... 60&pg=1562).
- Queen Victoria Market. Nothing much but got to see my friend's mum doughnut shop (old bus converted to donut shop) & be a suaku "any smaller lettuce sold?" :roll: & why the bread not soft like Singapore one huh? :mrgreen:
- The zoo (can't remember the name, cause we don't enjoy ourselves.) Singapore one better.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:37 pm

Wah... insider. On holiday trip still remember us in Kiasuparents fourm? :D Sounds like fun. Enjoy the remaining holidays.

By the way, where is the cheapest/nicest place I can bring my family for ski resort? I sort of promise but I did told them it will not be immediate. China/Korea/Australia/NZ/Japan?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby winth » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:04 pm

My all time favourite for a short getaway (3 days) with my kids when they were younger:

http://www.tamansafari.com/agp/

Hi Insider,

Been into the website and it sounds very fun. A nice change from the regular genting trips and downtowneast chalets that we have been doing.

Do you recommend the caravan or the bungalow stay for kids 2 and 6? The caravan looks adventurous and something that I'll like to go for, but the pictures might turn out deceiving.

Is 3 day 2 night too long to spend there? I mean are there facilities or places of interest that we can go for the 3 days?

Is it recommended for just a smally family of 4 or a group trip of maybe 10?

winth
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Christmas » Sun May 31, 2009 2:44 pm

We should not go overseas due to H1N1 Flu!

Christmas
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby PlayfulFairy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:59 pm

EN wrote:Wah... insider. On holiday trip still remember us in Kiasuparents fourm? :D Sounds like fun. Enjoy the remaining holidays.

By the way, where is the cheapest/nicest place I can bring my family for ski resort? I sort of promise but I did told them it will not be immediate. China/Korea/Australia/NZ/Japan?

I've been to Australia and Korea during winter. Personally, I enjoyed myself at Yong Pyong Ski Resort in Korea :D [/img]

PlayfulFairy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby tamarind » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:05 pm

In early 2008 I brought my kids to Krabi and we love the beautiful islands there. It was simply amazing to be surrounded by hundreds of fishes right on the beach in an uninhabited island (Koh Hong).

Checkout my blog for more photos :
http://krabiwithkids.blogspot.com/

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:23 pm

In early 2008 I brought my kids to Krabi and we love the beautiful islands there. It was simply amazing to be surrounded by hundreds of fishes right on the beach in an uninhabited island (Koh Hong).

Checkout my blog for more photos :
http://krabiwithkids.blogspot.com/

Hi ya Tamarind :D

Thanks for sharing the blog. I did check out the rest of the destination too. I was drooling at the sight of Alaska Cruise Photos.

You managed to see how the water freezes in Grand Canyon, I managed to look at the pictures only. I visited Grand Canyon 3 times in total but it was all during summer. I took Maid of the Mist to look at the fall at a short distance. They have fire works twice weekly & I love to shop at Buffalo NY too. Did you managed to do any shopping in Buffalo? By the time I need to drive back from NY to Canada, I throw off all my price tags and just innocently says that I bought nothing from US. :pray: Dont want to pay tax otherwise, there's not much difference buying in US than in Canada.

Went for Superstar Virgo years when I was pregnant with ds. Agree, even for balcony room, it is very very small. Dont quite like cruises. There's nothing much to do except eat, eat and eat. But the old folks definitely loves it cause it is very relaxing.

Is the sea in front of the hotel in Kluang Muang, nice and clear?

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas