Star Cruise Virgo

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Star Cruise Virgo

Postby MUMMYOF3 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Hi,

Anyone tried ? We've not tried before and am thinking of bringing our boys this coming holiday. Not sure if it's suitable for kids as i heard some said it's quite boring except eat and eat. Hope to hear some comments from mummies/daddies here who have brought their kids on cruise before.

MUMMYOF3
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby magic mushroom » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 pm

we did the penang and phuket cruise and enjoyed ourselves. its a different experience. really relaxing.

plus you can leave your boys at childcare/play room

psst... not necessary to stuff you face! :lol:

magic mushroom
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby kiasu_pig » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:58 pm

Never being on a cruise before. I would like to know too. I'm toying with the idea of bring a 4-years old and a 18 months on-board .. but heard so much about the boredom, nothing to do on board except eat eat eat ... (but eat also sianz) ... Hmm... :cry:
Last edited by kiasu_pig on Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 am, edited 9 times in total.

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby BigDevil » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:47 pm

Deal.com.sg selling a $299 voucher for a coach-n-cruise package to Genting. You get 2 nights stay at First World Hotel, and one night on Superstar Virgo.

Check it out at http://deal.com.sg/deal2 ....11 more hours and the deal expires.

BigDevil
ClassMonitor
ClassMonitor

Postby kiasu_pig » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:58 am

kiasu_pig wrote:Never being on a cruise before. I would like to know too. I'm toying with the idea of bring a 4-years old and a 18 months on-board .. but heard so much about the boredom, nothing to do on board except eat eat eat ... (but eat also sianz) ... Hmm... :cry:

Updated 19-Nov-10. Went to travel agency to ask about the 2N Malacca / KL package. Oceanview stateroom with balcony for 3 adults (4-yr old DS#1 counted as 1 adult) + 1 infant (@ 25% of adult on twin-sharing rate) cost slightly < $2,000.

[1] Ship departure Singapore on Wed 12midnight and reach Malacca the next morning (Thu).

[2] Passangers interested to go Malacca needs to off-board at 7am . Small boats on cruise will ferry passengers to shore. Afterwhich, the cruise ship will sail for KL.

[3] On shore, trip is passenger's DIY. Once on-shore, passengers cannot go back to cruise ship in Malacca. Passengers have to travel to KL (own cost) to board the cruise ship again in the evening.

[4] Passengers off-board at Malacca either DIY. Also can book a day trip at (own cost) - day-trip excursion include sightseeing in Malacca and then a 2-3 hours coach to KL, meals not included in day-trip.

[5] Passengers not interested to go to Malacca can stay in cruise ship and then sail to KL where they can align at the port (@ 2pm). On shore, afternoon trip is own cost and DIY.

[6] All passengers to board cruise ship at KL before Thu's 8pm.

[7] Cruise ship reached Singapore at Fri 2pm.

So, if we decided to embark on the Malacca trip, the whole of Thu is going to be extra expenses. That means, the $2K package that we paid is only for accomodation on Wed night and Thu night, meal (Wed's supper, Thu's supper and Fri's breakfast, bunch and at most lunch). That's equivalent to S$1K for a night.
Hmm.. :roll:

kiasu_pig
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:04 am

Taking a cruise is never cheap. But it is kind of an interesting experience -seeing the vast "sea", enjoy the buffet etc.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby mrswongtuition » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:19 pm

The only time I was on a cruise was when I was 8yo. I can still remember the details of the cruise and the experience.

Am contemplating on bringing my boy (turning 4yo in Jan) on a cruise. However, hubs is against it because:
1. Rather exp
2. He's too young to remember (as in we pay so much for the experience but he does not remember it)
3. He's afraid my boy might be bored on board

Just wondering, is it worth paying so much?
Cos we are going on a family trip to Pangkor again but I'm hoping we can squeeze out some time for a short cruise.
For Pangkor trip: 3 adults + 1 kid = $1000 (4D3N) all inclusive (coach, food, water sports, lodging, ferry, etc etc)
Comparing it to $2k +++ for a cruise which is shorter in duration, my hubs is not very keen on a cruise. :(

mrswongtuition
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby comfy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:12 pm

Went for the cruise when dd was 3 yrs old. She absolutely enjoyed the trip. If you want to really get every cent out of the cruise (as it is more expensive due to school holiday), must/try to participate in every activities. Everyday, there is a activity programme sheet given to you, first thing in the morning. Or once check in, can obtain from the information counter. Eit is very convenient for family with young children. There are restaurant with buffet counters for adult as well as for kids. She enjoyed the horse racing game and the online dancing. There are 2 other restaurants (1 chinese style and 1 western style) that you can choose for (prices included in the package).
Infact, when she was 4 and 5 years old, we went again. My dh was so bored that he didn't joined us for the last two trips. :lol: I guess it depends on what you want. For me, it is for convenient and fuss-free. Anytime, dd wants to rest and just goes to cabin and take a short nap. Enjoy the night shows, movies, bingo, sea breeze, makes new friends (thru dd), swimming, art-and craft session, how to make certain things (with ice), learn how to massage (during my time) etc. My dd learned how to be more opened and independent during the trips. Surprise me when she gamely played with older children and won 2nd price infront of a large audience.

comfy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby keborah » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:30 pm

where did you book the trip to Pangkor, looks like a great deal.

mrswongtuition wrote:The only time I was on a cruise was when I was 8yo. I can still remember the details of the cruise and the experience.

Am contemplating on bringing my boy (turning 4yo in Jan) on a cruise. However, hubs is against it because:
1. Rather exp
2. He's too young to remember (as in we pay so much for the experience but he does not remember it)
3. He's afraid my boy might be bored on board

Just wondering, is it worth paying so much?
Cos we are going on a family trip to Pangkor again but I'm hoping we can squeeze out some time for a short cruise.
For Pangkor trip: 3 adults + 1 kid = $1000 (4D3N) all inclusive (coach, food, water sports, lodging, ferry, etc etc)
Comparing it to $2k +++ for a cruise which is shorter in duration, my hubs is not very keen on a cruise. :(

keborah
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chrismei » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:54 pm

comfy wrote:Went for the cruise when dd was 3 yrs old. She absolutely enjoyed the trip. If you want to really get every cent out of the cruise (as it is more expensive due to school holiday), must/try to participate in every activities. Everyday, there is a activity programme sheet given to you, first thing in the morning. Or once check in, can obtain from the information counter. Eit is very convenient for family with young children. There are restaurant with buffet counters for adult as well as for kids. She enjoyed the horse racing game and the online dancing. There are 2 other restaurants (1 chinese style and 1 western style) that you can choose for (prices included in the package).
Infact, when she was 4 and 5 years old, we went again. My dh was so bored that he didn't joined us for the last two trips. :lol: I guess it depends on what you want. For me, it is for convenient and fuss-free. Anytime, dd wants to rest and just goes to cabin and take a short nap. Enjoy the night shows, movies, bingo, sea breeze, makes new friends (thru dd), swimming, art-and craft session, how to make certain things (with ice), learn how to massage (during my time) etc. My dd learned how to be more opened and independent during the trips. Surprise me when she gamely played with older children and won 2nd price infront of a large audience.

Hihi..Did you sign up the starkids club for starcruise?Is the art and craft session free? I will be bringing my 4 yrs (gal) & 23 mth (boy) for 4 days 3 nights (Phuket & Penang) in Dec 10...need to bring thicker clothing for them???

chrismei
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas