Cruise - royal caribbean

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Re: Cruise - royal caribbean

Post by atrecord » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:24 pm

Just don't join the organized trips offered on the ship. They count by head and is very expensive, if you have a sizable group. My family (4), parents, and my bro-in-law (2 + baby) went last year. At Phuket, we booked a van to bring us around (around 10 am to 5 pm), and it was only THB3500 (about S$150). We heard from others on board that they joined the day trips at about US$150 per head...

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by junemum72 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm

Thanks to Wishes's recommendation, I have managed to book the character bf online. Hope it is not a disappointment and that there wont be any hi-cups. I heard when the cruise is full, it can be chaotic in terms of boarding, and meal times etc.

Looking forward to this trip. Some more questions, hope the experts can advise :

1. I see from the comments here, boarding can start as early as 11AM regardless of which cabin you got? But when I see the check-in list from RC, they have specific timing for different cabins? Will we get hold back if say we suppose to check in at 4 but went earlier at 11?

2. Regarding pic taking, my fren told me we need to decide on 1st day if we are keen to take their package? She advise she paid for unlimited pics. So will there be a chance they slash their price on last day if we do not intend to take up on 1st day?

TIA.

yqyq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by yqyq » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Hi,

anyone free and easy to port klang? I do not intend to join the RC trip as too expensive. I plan to take a cab to the eat bak kut teh only.

Will there be any cab waiting near pier and any recommendation of the port klang bak kut teh?

Thanks

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Puffer » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:36 pm

atrecord wrote:Just don't join the organized trips offered on the ship. They count by head and is very expensive, if you have a sizable group. My family (4), parents, and my bro-in-law (2 + baby) went last year. At Phuket, we booked a van to bring us around (around 10 am to 5 pm), and it was only THB3500 (about S$150). We heard from others on board that they joined the day trips at about US$150 per head...
Hi! I'm taking the cruise on 17th Dec and planning to book a driver/guide to bring my family of 5 around Phuket and Penang. May I know how to source for a reliable local driver/guide? Will there be tour guide companies stationing at the port where our cruise dock in Phuket and Penang?

friendsforever
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by friendsforever » Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:17 pm

My cruise is tomorrow to penang n Langkawi. Have contact for penang driver. Will let you know if he is good when I'm back.

dragonmummy
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Post by dragonmummy » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:38 am

Anyone has contact of langkawi driver? thinking of engaging a driver for our family also. Tks!

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by junemum72 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:45 am

friendsforever wrote:My cruise is tomorrow to penang n Langkawi. Have contact for penang driver. Will let you know if he is good when I'm back.
Hi friendsforever

please share about the check in time and your experience in RC after your return. (esp the pictures they sell etc)

Thanks a lot and have a wonderful and safe trip.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:52 pm

Puffer wrote:
atrecord wrote:Just don't join the organized trips offered on the ship. They count by head and is very expensive, if you have a sizable group. My family (4), parents, and my bro-in-law (2 + baby) went last year. At Phuket, we booked a van to bring us around (around 10 am to 5 pm), and it was only THB3500 (about S$150). We heard from others on board that they joined the day trips at about US$150 per head...
Hi! I'm taking the cruise on 17th Dec and planning to book a driver/guide to bring my family of 5 around Phuket and Penang. May I know how to source for a reliable local driver/guide? Will there be tour guide companies stationing at the port where our cruise dock in Phuket and Penang?
There will be lots of drivers with the Toyota Hiace (enlarged) vans at the place where passengers will disembark. All of them will be there to tout their services. I have the feeling that they shouldn't be too expensive, but that's simply becos the few locals we spoke to all sounded like they were not crooks :smile:
Then again, I can't say for sure.

The lobang we had was from somebody who was in the tourist biz years ago, and she arranged for the driver/vehicle for us. We planned the route in advance (which wasn't fantastic, as it turned out), and they quote the price. We felt the price was cheap, but the driver was just a driver. He didn't know much of English, and certainly didn't introduce the place/attraction to us.

For Penang, again there are lots of taxi drivers at the jetty, touting their services. We just got 2 cabs there and went to a temple, a place to buy some local tidbits, a hawker centre for lunch, to the place where there's some street arts drawn, and then it was back to the ship. Down there is bargain one, and seriously none of us knew the market rate.

Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Puffer » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:47 pm

atrecord wrote:There will be lots of drivers with the Toyota Hiace (enlarged) vans at the place where passengers will disembark. All of them will be there to tout their services. I have the feeling that they shouldn't be too expensive, but that's simply becos the few locals we spoke to all sounded like they were not crooks :smile:
Then again, I can't say for sure.

The lobang we had was from somebody who was in the tourist biz years ago, and she arranged for the driver/vehicle for us. We planned the route in advance (which wasn't fantastic, as it turned out), and they quote the price. We felt the price was cheap, but the driver was just a driver. He didn't know much of English, and certainly didn't introduce the place/attraction to us.

For Penang, again there are lots of taxi drivers at the jetty, touting their services. We just got 2 cabs there and went to a temple, a place to buy some local tidbits, a hawker centre for lunch, to the place where there's some street arts drawn, and then it was back to the ship. Down there is bargain one, and seriously none of us knew the market rate.
Thanks for sharing your experience, Atrecord. I would prefer to engage a reliable driver/guide in advance, rather than get from on-the-spot touts, especially for Phuket. Still have no clue how to spend our land time there.

Grr_roxy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Grr_roxy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:14 am

Hi,

Can anyone advise the dress code for the fine dining on RC? Is it all 3 meals ie. breakfast, lunch and dinner must adhere to certain dress codes if dining in the restaurant?
And how abt the formal dinner night? Do the guest really dress up?