Cruise - royal caribbean

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Puffer
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Re: Cruise - royal caribbean

Post by Puffer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:41 pm

junemum72 wrote:When are you going? I booked my Phuket driver/guide thru reviews from tripadvisor but I m only going in Dec.
Hi Junemum72, my family of 5 going on 17th Dec. The one with celebrity Li Teng. I'm now wondering if we pre-book the local driver/guide, would they know where to wait for us? Do we need to check with RC on the location where we would be brought to shore?

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:42 pm

Puffer wrote:
junemum72 wrote:When are you going? I booked my Phuket driver/guide thru reviews from tripadvisor but I m only going in Dec.
Hi Junemum72, my family of 5 going on 17th Dec. The one with celebrity Li Teng. I'm now wondering if we pre-book the local driver/guide, would they know where to wait for us? Do we need to check with RC on the location where we would be brought to shore?
Yes, I should think so. The driver that was arranged for us was waiting at the 'jetty' area because we managed to find out the place and informed them about 1 day before we were departing.

It was stressful becos I had tried for almost 2 wk before that trying to get the info, but to no avail. We booked through Chan Bro, and when we asked them, they gave some useless answer, and said will try to check. One week later, i couldn't wait, called again, they still said the same thing. I called RC direct, and it was foreigner answering. I think Filipino. Gave a bit more details (we were still not sure about the 'tendering' concept then), but still couldn't be sure. I googled all the cruises to Phuket, and it seems there were a few different locations commonly used. Looking at the Phuket map, they are quite far apart, so I didn't want to give the wrong info…. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

We emailed APACRES@rcclapac.com, whose reply was not helpful too - simply re-explaining the tendering process.

Finally, called RC to cook up some story that we have relatives picking us up, then the afternoon before we were going to depart, received a call from I think US no. to tell us it's at Patong beach.

Remember that all arrangements have to be finalized before you set off, as once the ship goes into the open sea, there is no phone signal or data, unless you buy the wifi package on board. You're effectively non-contactable until you dock at Klang or Penang, or that morning in Phuket. The driver will need to make arrangement to be there. And then the timing is also an issue - cos the tendering process takes time.

Good luck.

junemum72
BrownBelt
BrownBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by junemum72 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:54 pm

atrecord wrote:
Puffer wrote:
Yes, I should think so. The driver that was arranged for us was waiting at the 'jetty' area because we managed to find out the place and informed them about 1 day before we were departing.

It was stressful becos I had tried for almost 2 wk before that trying to get the info, but to no avail. We booked through Chan Bro, and when we asked them, they gave some useless answer, and said will try to check. One week later, i couldn't wait, called again, they still said the same thing. I called RC direct, and it was foreigner answering. I think Filipino. Gave a bit more details (we were still not sure about the 'tendering' concept then), but still couldn't be sure. I googled all the cruises to Phuket, and it seems there were a few different locations commonly used. Looking at the Phuket map, they are quite far apart, so I didn't want to give the wrong info…. :sweat: :sweat: :sweat:

We emailed APACRES@rcclapac.com, whose reply was not helpful too - simply re-explaining the tendering process.

Finally, called RC to cook up some story that we have relatives picking us up, then the afternoon before we were going to depart, received a call from I think US no. to tell us it's at Patong beach.

Remember that all arrangements have to be finalized before you set off, as once the ship goes into the open sea, there is no phone signal or data, unless you buy the wifi package on board. You're effectively non-contactable until you dock at Klang or Penang, or that morning in Phuket. The driver will need to make arrangement to be there. And then the timing is also an issue - cos the tendering process takes time.

Good luck.
Hi Atrecord,

Can you still remember how long it took your family to disembark upon arrival in Phuket? I need to gauge what time I should book the agent. (from the paper, it says 0800 arrival) I understand it can take hours as they have q system. How do they allocate who gets to alight first? (My assumption is that obviously those who join RC tours will get priority to go down)

I agree that its a pain getting some information from RC. I am utterly disappointed how could a big cruise who does this route regularly does not update their CS well enough.

I also have problem getting the same tendering information from them. Finally one of the CS replied me with some weird name. I passed the name to the agent I booked and he said he can check. I hope he knows where we are when we arrive.

atrecord
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by atrecord » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:11 pm

junemum72 wrote:
atrecord wrote:
Puffer wrote: Hi Junemum72, my family of 5 going on 17th Dec. The one with celebrity Li Teng. I'm now wondering if we pre-book the local driver/guide, would they know where to wait for us? Do we need to check with RC on the location where we would be brought to shore?

Good luck.
Hi Atrecord,

Can you still remember how long it took your family to disembark upon arrival in Phuket? I need to gauge what time I should book the agent. (from the paper, it says 0800 arrival) I understand it can take hours as they have q system. How do they allocate who gets to alight first? (My assumption is that obviously those who join RC tours will get priority to go down)

I agree that its a pain getting some information from RC. I am utterly disappointed how could a big cruise who does this route regularly does not update their CS well enough.

I also have problem getting the same tendering information from them. Finally one of the CS replied me with some weird name. I passed the name to the agent I booked and he said he can check. I hope he knows where we are when we arrive.
I actually don't know who goes first, but you could be right that the RC tours might get priority as they pay so much more. For the rest, passengers are told to go to a fixed place to get a physical card, which is a queue no. For us, it was at a piano in the level 5 restaurant. You go only when you're ready (to avoid your number called, but you're still eating). But it takes much longer to call so actually quite safe.

We were not in a hurry as my parents (and my mother was not v mobile) were with us, plus my bro-in-law had a baby… Think it was around 9.30 or so when it was our turn. I understand that the queue to get the queue no. was quite long earlier, but there was no more queue when we finished our breakfast.

Then we went to the lower deck (think 3 or 2) to wait for our queue no. to be called (via PA system as they encourage passengers to wait further away to avoid overcrowding - they do give advance notice), then take the stairs down to scan the card (equivalent of the passport) for immigration purpose, then transfer to the tender boats. About 10-15 min ride, then reach the 'pier', which is a long row of floating platform (quite stable) from the shore to where the boats stop. This platform is about 200 m long, and max 2 persons walk side by side. With so many people, prob take 3-4 min to clear. Take into account time taken to wait to get out from the tender boats (abt 2-5 min) and you should have it.

Apart from RC tour, it would be first-come-first-served, and there will be long queues initially. But i think the drivers are seasoned enough, and they will be patient enough to wait for you. I also think they must have advance info on where the ship is docking, and will be there waiting for biz. You can maybe give them your mobile no. to call you at an agreed time, just that both will pay a bit of IDD charges. I didn't ask for it, but my contact gave my number to the driver, and he did call me when I was just abt to leave the tender boat (prob cos there were not many more batches after us).

If you have family who isn't too mobile, they can provide wheelchair to wheel from boat to shore, and the other way round. Just need to ask. My mother walked from boat to shore, but asked for the wheelchair when going back.

Hope this helps.

Grr_roxy
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:3

Post by Grr_roxy » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:56 pm

Tks all for advising on the dress code. I have a better idea what to pack on my upcoming trip in Dec.

Amethyst
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Amethyst » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:47 pm

Hi all,

My family just returned from our 5D4N cruise on last Friday. Just like to share some info here for others.

The ship stopover at Port Klang and Phuket. However as my family did not disembark at Port Klang, I cannot comment on that.

As for Phuket, I first tried to call their Customer hotline to find out the location of the port. I was told that it is the Chao Phaya port terminal, but when I checked the map, it was not located at patong beach at all,in fact, seemed quite far off. I was quite doubtful about this location and I dare not pre-book any drivers in case I made them wait at a wrong location. As it turned out, the pier that we disembarked is at Patong beach, so luckily we did not make any prior arrangements with any driver.

I will see if I can post a picture of the address of the port and the port agent later. (Sorry I still do not know how to upload image yet)

Anyway, there are a lot of drivers of tuk-tuks and taxis waiting near the pier and at the beach area. The distance from the beach to the Junceylon mall is very near, so the cost is only around 200 baht. These drivers will usually offer to take tourists to all the various locations, be it tiger encounters, elephant trekking, souvenir shops,etc. Be sure to know what u want to do and just tell the driver u only want that. From Junceylon, there are also drivers waiting along the road for customers, u can either take a taxi ride back to the pier or walk back on your own. At the same time can look at the shops along the road. Though we are told that it is 15-20 min, it turns out much longer for us 30 min or more, maybe because we walk slowly with the old folks and also we may not know of shortcuts. We want to get a cab, but the old folks insist that they can walk and my MIL wants to look at the small shops. If u go with the old folks, I will advise that u should just take the taxi ride.

Amethyst
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by Amethyst » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:58 pm

Sb was asking in earlier post if we would be allowed to check-in and board the ship earlier than the timing given.

Yes, u can. My family was given the timing of 1pm. However, as we had not done our online check -in, we decided to go earlier in case there were forms that we needed to fill in. Everything went smoothly and I think we went on board the ship around 12.30pm.

There is a kettle for boiling water in our inner stateroom.

For those who do not have the universal adaptors, u can loan from the Guest Relations Counter. I understand that they ask for a deposit of US$25, which they will return u on return of the adaptor. As there are limited adaptors for loan, u may need to go earlier to ask for it. When I tried to ask for one on the second day, they were all loaned out already.

vistauser
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Post by vistauser » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:48 pm

Actually, for Phuket, if have big waves or abnormal tide, the ship cannot let passengers to alight by tender at Patong beach. Only can dock in port at the other side near Phuket town. So RC itself still not clear if they will tender or dock until several hours before arrive. The authority of Phuket port will notify Mariner of the Seas where to stay. So book a taxi in advance has a little risky.

yqyq
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Post by yqyq » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:51 pm

We just back from RC cruise on 12th Dec. Ship dock at Port klang and we plan to go eat Bak kut teh but those monopoly taxi counter charged RM 250 for a return trip just to eat Bak kut teh, so we decided to use Grab Teksi but none taxi dare to pick up up by-passing the taxi counter. So end up we back to ship for our lunch.

As for Penang also dock at pier and alot taxi services at surrounding area. Those outside the pier charged RM 35 per hour for a 7 seater while inside the pier taxi services charged RM 50 per hour for a normal sedan car.

As for Phuket, tender boats pick us up to Patong Jetty and we have advance booking a van services for our family of 5 go for local food lunch, shopping and spa services. Total tpt cost for a period of 7 hours Bath 1200.

alicelauwf
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by alicelauwf » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi yqyq,

How you do the advance booking for the van services?