Travel: USA - Chicago

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: USA - Chicago

Postby Luanee » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:02 pm

Original Title: Anyone familiar with Chicago?

Hmm.. me going there for a week trip this Sunday.. not too sure what to expect.. can anyone advise?

Is it safe to take cabs alone there? Where got nice shopping centre (big mall types)? Or anything in general I should look out for?

Thanks..

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby MummyThreeStreams » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:39 pm

Hi! Are you going for work or play?

I've been there a couple of times. Most recently in Jul 2010. It's safe to take cabs. I also travelled around by bus and the trains. It's also a very walkable city, so i walked quite a fair bit. But if you're walking you need to be careful of some neighborhoods, which can literally be the next street from a safe neighborhood. Your hotel should be able to advise you.

For shopping, you cannot miss Michigan Ave. It's THE shopping street. They don't call it the 'Magnificent Mile' for nothing. Lots of other small neighborhoods with interesting shops too, if you have the time to explore.

Chicago is known for its sky scrapers. You should take a walking tour or even a boat tour of the sky scrapers. Plan to also take a trip up one sky scraper. I went up John Hancock twice. The first time, I went at night, and had drinks at the bar at the top. So no need to pay for the ride up. Otherwise, you can visit the John Hancock Observatory during the day and that's a paid visit.

A trip to the lake/beach should also be on the cards. It's really quite lovely. Lincoln Park is next to the lake, so you can try that too.

Since we're on the subject of parks, Millennium Park is worth a visit. There's a beautiful stainless steel sculpture there which has been nicknamed the bean coz it looks like a bean.

Try to visit the museums too. Chicago has really good, interesting museums. I had a great time at the Field Museum, which is a natural history museum. My kids couldn't get enough of the dinosaur bones!

For nightlife, you can go see a show. I don't know if Billy Elliot is still showing, but it was in Jul 2010 and my friends loved it.

For food, Chicago is famous for it's deep dish pizza. It's more like a pie than a traditional pizza. I didn't think it was that fantastic, but do give it a try. Pizzeria Uno and Gino's are the famous ones. You will need to be prepared to wait in line. Best is to go during off-peak hours, like 3 or 4 in the afternoon. Even then, it will not be a quick meal coz they make the pizza when you order it...If pizza is not your thing, do steak. Morton's is from Chicago!

Finally, the weather there is super changeable. Be prepared, make sure you have lots of warm clothes and layer well!

I'm sure I can give more info if I think about it more...

Have fun!

MummyThreeStreams
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Luanee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 pm

Wow thank u for the comprehensive info. I be there for work, so not possible to go offpeak timing like 3 or 4pm. I only has 4 days (after 5pm) to walk around.

I will take note of the places u recommended and surf the net more on what u mentioned. Thank u!!

Luanee
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Holiday Ideas