Travel: Malaysia - Terengganu

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Malaysia - Terengganu

Postby JR » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:19 pm

I will be driving up to Terengganu from Cameron Highlands through Gua Musang to Lake Kenyir and Kijal beach resort. Has anyone been to Lake Kenyir? Any recommendations on what to do in Terenganu? Thanks.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Re: Travel: Malaysia - Terengganu

Postby carebear » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:25 pm

JR wrote:I will be driving up to Terengganu from Cameron Highlands through Gua Musang to Lake Kenyir and Kijal beach resort. Has anyone been to Lake Kenyir? Any recommendations on what to do in Terenganu? Thanks.

There are organizations which organize drives there in a group.

http://www.csc.gov.sg/HTML/Newsletter/m ... vel10.html
http://www.aas.com.sg/index.php?show=co ... 9&menuId=9

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby krazy » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:37 am

We didn't go to Terengganu but went to Kuantan instead. :)

Drove up there with a convoy of 6 other cars. It was quite a drive but a good break. The kiddos did some craft activities and managed to see baby turtles.

Can read up on the
http://preciouscheryl.blogspot.com/2011/06/kuantan-2011-part-1.html

krazy
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby JR » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:26 am

We drove to Terengganu from Cameron Highlands using the "new" road from Gua Musang. This road is not officially opened yet as sections of it is really not fit for cars. But since it cuts travel to our destination in Lake Kenyir by 2 hours, I think its worth it.

It was quite a memorable road to drive on actually. Thankfully, the tough part of the "new" road is only for about 20km and the potholes are not continuous. So there is some sections of the road that is still ok. Kind of get used to it after a while. Just thank my car's suspension for it... :salute:

Anyway, since it is not officially opened, there are hardly any signboards along the way. Have to rely on asking the people in the oil palm plantation. Must say that the people there are nice and friendly. Even the police post which we passed gave us a smile and waved us on.

The scenary along the way towards Lake Kenyir was quite good. Unfortunately, it started to rain, so we did not make a stop to take pictures. Really get to appreciate the size of the man-made lake (the biggest lake in Malaysia - bigger than the size of Singapore!)

Lake Kenyir Resort is really quite big. The accommodations are all villas. Good if you want privacy in nature. Sounds of birds in the morning. Nice view of the lake from our balcony. The down side is that we have to call for a buggy to transport us to the main lobby. The breakfast spread was quite limited. Maybe it is because there are not much guests around. The pool is ok. The memorable incident was that my DS told me about a monitor lizard on the slide. I went to investigate and went down the slide. To both my horror (and the shock of the monitor lizard), I almost crashed onto the poor reptile. Luckily, the reptile was able scamper down the slide and swam out of the pool to the bushes next to the pool. It was quite funny actually.

We only had time to take the boat to the herbal island and Saok waterfall. As we were the only passengers, my DS had a chance to "drive" the boat. I had hope to visit the big dam which created the lake but it was closed to public. Only got a chance to see part of the dam from the road.

Our next stop after Lake Kenyir was Kuala Terengganu. Had a short visit to the traditional boat making place on Pulau Duyong. We had lunch in their Chinatown. The fruit juice served by the coffee shop was quite good. We also thought that the small alley to Chinatown was quite interesting. It was decorated with mossaics of turtles and picture story with the message to get people to stop eating turtle eggs.

The drive from Kuala Terengganu to Kijal was quite smooth. At some part of the journey, the road would be close to the beach with casurinas and the seaview. We also passed through oil refineries indicating the presence of offshore oil rigs. Imagine the contrast of the change of scenary between nice beaches and oil refineries.

Awana Kijal is a nice beach resort. The swimming pool is the biggest in the East Coast of Malaysia. But the kids slides have potholes and do need some repair. Still, my son liked it. We also had a fun time building sandcastles. The waves were too strong and wife lost one slipper to the sea. At least, it was an excuse for us to visit the new Giant hypermart nearby to buy a new pair of slippers. Along the way, we had a chance to try the local food - lemang, which is glutonous rice in bamboo cooked in open fire pit. Taste quite good actually.

It was a nice trip to Terengganu. The only problem is the distance from Singapore. For about 8 hours of driving (including dinner break), I doubt I will drive there again. Luckily my wife and son didn't complain about the journey back. I have to say we have seen quite a bit of Malaysia on this trip.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasumom123 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:11 am

Hi I am planning to go to Kuantan and Lake Kenyir for this CNY. Can anyone guide which road to take to Kuantan? Also is there any website I can check for the road conditions, closures etc?

kiasumom123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JR » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:31 am

kiasumom123 wrote:Hi I am planning to go to Kuantan and Lake Kenyir for this CNY. Can anyone guide which road to take to Kuantan? Also is there any website I can check for the road conditions, closures etc?

Normally, I would check on http://maps.google.com/ to get the road directions. Not sure about road closure websites though. I guess you can google Malaysia road closure and see what comes out... As it is at the tail end of North East monsoon, should be ok. But really can't predict the weather now a days.

From Singapore, there are 2 ways to Kuantan. You can either go by North South Highway (E2) and exit at Yong Peng into Route 1 up north via Segamat and Muadzam Shah (Route 12). The other possible way would be via Kota Tinggi, Mersing and Pekan (Route 3). The second way would be a slightly longer drive by about an hour compared to the first way.

The drive from Kuantan to Lake Kenyir would be nice via the coastal road although it will be longer. I assume you will be staying at Lake Kenyir Resort? How long will you be at Lake Kenyir? Nice place to relax.

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby kiasumom123 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:10 am

Thanks JR! I am planning 3D 2N at Lake Kenyir, and 1 night at Kuantan on the way there,so that travel does not become too taxing for kids. As I can see you drove form Cameron to Kenyir, how long was that drive? Do you think that road is open officially now?
Actually on our way back from Kenyir I want to stay 1N, either a home stay or Rompin national park or beach resort cannot decide ;(

kiasumom123
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby JR » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:47 am

kiasumom123 wrote:Thanks JR! I am planning 3D 2N at Lake Kenyir, and 1 night at Kuantan on the way there,so that travel does not become too taxing for kids. As I can see you drove form Cameron to Kenyir, how long was that drive? Do you think that road is open officially now?
Actually on our way back from Kenyir I want to stay 1N, either a home stay or Rompin national park or beach resort cannot decide ;(

We left Cameron at about 11am and reached Gua Musang for lunch at about 1.30pm. We left Gua Musang at about 2.30pm. It was quite an adventure driving past the potholes road through the oil palm plantation. Since we don't have GPS and no road signs at all, we had to ask our way around and was able to get to Lake Kenyir at about 5pm. I doubt the "new" road will ever be opened. Heard of some reasons why... But it is a good experience and memorable for my family. The road around Lake Kenyir up to the Kelantan border is good and has scenic views of the lake. If you have time, you can drive around up the the elephant sanctuary (but I heard there is only one elephant there!) But be prepared to drive a bit longer and not to underestimate the size of the lake (bigger than Singapore)

Do check out the resort website first http://www.lakekenyir.com/ for some idea of their activities so that you can plan into your timing. Really depends on what you want. You can either book it with the resort or try your luck at the jetty. Not sure how the situation during the CNY holidays. Could be crowded with locals.

Not sure how the situation at Rompin after the floods. It would be a good idea to stop by for a night on your way home from Terengganu. For us, we drove from Kijal straight back home which is a bit long if you are not used to it. It took us about 10 hours (including lunch and dinner) to reach home from Kijal Resort. So really better to find a place to stay for the night on your journey back between Lake Kenyir and Singapore. (Lake Kenyir to Kijal Resort is already 3 hours drive).

I guess Rompin could be a good rest stop. Homestay could be interesting. Beach resort also sounds like a good idea. Cherating? Sorry, can't help you decide there. Hope you could share your experience. Have a good trip. :smile:

JR
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ahkeong » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:13 pm

wow!! cool
lake kenyir is definitely a place i wanna go explore!!

furthest i went on the east coast is kelantan.. we went to visit my wife's sister
1 car only.. with 2 kids, it was a challenge

ahkeong
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby ptb7476 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:38 pm

think of driving up trengganu for a short holiday but dont feel like driving up alone... any idea which organisation or car make /forum organising one coming next few months before the monsoon come ?

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas