Homework while on holidays?

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Homework while on holidays?

Postby Mrsbongz » Sun May 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Parents, this june hols is the first time I am bringing a school-going child for a long holiday. Was wondering if I should bring along some simple revision work to 'keep the momentum' going. My ds considers even reading a form of 'work'. He is expected to put in the same amount of hours to revision during the holidays, so that going back to school will not be too much of a hardship (super slow engine start up), but I am still undecided about holidays though. Any thoughts or experience to share?

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Homework while on holidays?

Postby carebear » Sun May 29, 2011 10:07 pm

No harm doing a little homework during the trip, so that he won't feel so stressed up with the pile of work when he returns.
My kids do their lead.com work when we go abroad, since we always lug our lap tops along when we are abroad as we can't go through a day without the internet!

carebear
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby jedamum » Sun May 29, 2011 10:28 pm

how old are your children? In P1/P2, i guess no harm done to just let the hair down and enjoy the holidays. how is the trip like? maybe you can plan coming back 1 week before school reopens and get your kids to promise that they will do twice the load during that 1 week to catch up. Quite poor thing to have to worry about revising homework and holidaying at the same time...i refer to the mother :wink:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Mrsbongz » Mon May 30, 2011 9:04 am

My boy's p1.. I also think it will be tiring to do HW on holidays (for me mostly :p) , but we r going away for 1.5wks.. he had a hard time getting back to school mode after the march holidays (took 2 mths + counselling!), and missed out alot in terms of studying.. so was wondering if i should just keep things going, to make up for lost studies as well as to prevent 'start-up' issues.. can't trust him to keep his promises :roll: so not going to ask for any...guess I'll bring some simple work.. and hope I can survive the journey..

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Zann » Mon May 30, 2011 10:00 pm

Few years back we went Taiwan and there at 城品书店 , my kids were doing lead.com homework at their free internet while I shop for books... :lol: Now they are older liao and they would rather ask me not to go holiday if need to do homework. :wink:

Zann
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby Funz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:05 am

DD does do some work throughout the school holidays. Not so much as to pre-prep or as revision but more to keep her occupied.

If we do go overseas usually 2 weeks, then it is solely vacation time, no work will be brought along. The only thing I encourage her to do is to write/record in her journal about the things that we see on our trip and her experiences. Even then it is up to her.

Now she is only in lower primary so I want her to be able to enjoy her holidays. And about 1 week before the end of the holidays, we will phase in normal after school schedule again so that it will not be too big of an adjustment when school starts.

Looking at my niece who is in Sec 1 now, all the more I treasure these holidays (even if they totally drain me) with DD. We were planning a short trip this June but niece was so stressed with all the school activities that she begged her mum to let her stay home and forgo the trip.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby UncleLim » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:10 am

i have to .... PSLE year !!

UncleLim
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby ksme » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:13 am

We have never brought work along during overseas vacation. It would not be possible to do anything even if we did since nobody would have mood for work. My recommendation is to let your son enjoy the vacation focusing on new experiences and new sights. My husband and I believe it is important to work hard and play hard so during vacation, we never ask our son to do any work. He will usually bring a story book along in case he wants to read or be kept occupied in between our activities. Funz' idea of keeping a journal during a trip is good too. Kid gets to practise writing and also keeps a record of the trip.

ksme
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Mrsbongz » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:31 am

thank you for your suggestions!! We r going on the 3rd week of the holidays, so if he has not completed his homework by then, we will have to bring it along... I've prepared travel journals for them, with Q n A and simple activities to occupy their time as well as to sneak in some general knowledge.. hopefully it will also serve as a memento for the trip.

Mrsbongz
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby sleepy » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:26 pm

We always bring storybooks along. Kids can read while waiting eg. to board plane or when parents are shopping

Didn't bring homework though. Most hotel rooms are quite dim with orange light, not ideal for doing homework. During the day when out travelling, troublesome to look for table to write

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas