Bringing Kids to the Zoo/Night Safari/Bird Park

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Bringing Kids to the Zoo/Night Safari/Bird Park

Postby River » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:26 am

Hi all,
I would like some advice on when is it a good age to bring a child to the zoo. 6 mths? 1 year? 2years? Or >2 years? Appreciate the reasons as well.

River
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Bringing Kids to the Zoo/Night Safari/Bird Park

Postby cherrygal » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:06 pm

I brought my first kid to the zoo when he was 1yo. My second kid is 2yo and hasn't been to the zoo.

You can take your kid to the zoo at any age coz the zoo has good baby amenities and is relatively clean. I prefer to wait till the kids are older coz they will be able to enjoy better and learn more. Babies won't be able to participate actively and they can get lots of mosquito bites.

Personally, we don't think the zoo is exceptionally interesting. The kids always end up more interested in the zoo's water splashpark which we can get at Sengkang instead.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby River » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:17 am

Hi cherrygal,
thanks. I have the same thoughts as you. Will probably bring my daughter there when she is around 2, when she can recognize a significant number of animals.

River
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby chatelaine » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:06 pm

I brought my 2 kids to zoo when they are 2yrs and 3yrs. At this age, they are able to move around on their own. I also brought along their strollers so that we can move around in a faster mode :) ... I didn't buckle for them which they knew about it. Easier for them to get on n off the stroller.

chatelaine
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Blessed Homemaker » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:01 pm

My kids first visit to the zoo/bird park was around 9 months old. People tell me babies are too young to understand but for me, I like to expose them to different things/environment. Anyway, the trip to these 2 places were free as we had corporate card from our workplace. When more staff applied for the corporate card and the chances of securing the card were slim, we signed up as zoo friends and frequent the zoo at least once a month. We kept our visits short, usually there after breakfast and leave by/after lunch. Depending on the agenda, sometimes we go just for the fun pool ie no visiting animal exhibits, other times strictly animals viewing ie no pool.

Blessed Homemaker
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby jedamum » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:31 pm

besides the age of the kids, do bring the kids to the zoo etc asap that you can afford the time and health and stamina. we are fortunate to be able to do so when our kids are so much younger and now that they are older, they can accomodate to our walking speed and need to find rest spots and water point. :sweat:

jedamum
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Funz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 am

We brought our kids to the zoo when they were about 2-3yrs old. Then again at about 4yrs old. Have not brought them since then but they have been to the zoo on school outings.

We brought them to the zoo again recently. They are not coming 7 and 9yrs old. I find that this time, they were a lot more engaged and interested in exploring the whole place. We downloaded the map onto their ipod touches and they took the lead, figuring out where we were and where we should be heading, taking pics, making notes. It was a lot more enjoyable for all this time.

Funz
Councillor
Councillor

Postby Cuppamocha » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:51 pm

I started bringing my kids to the zoo as young as few months (company family day :)) After that, I try to bring them once a year to look at new exhibits. I think that it is important that kids are exposed to different environment, pple and animals to broaden their horizons. When we are there I will ask my DD to read from the information to know more about the animals.

Cuppamocha
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby cnimed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:42 am

From 3 onwards. There are lots to see there and we do not go to the water play area at all. My kids especially love the reptile section and spend a lot of time observing the animals. The fragile forest is beautiful and I personally love the pgymy hippo/ fish exhibits. To enjoy the trip, you must choose a cool day and go during weekday mornings or mid afternoon as the animals tend to be sluggish on hot days. If you can, catch the feeding sessions. You will only be able to cover two sections of the zoo if walking with young kids. Finish with an ice cream treat and everyone goes home happy.
cnimed
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby chatelaine » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:49 am

I brought my kids to zoo when they were 2yrs and 3yrs.
At 2yrs, they can walk on their own and relate what they see to us.
Feeling excited and touch the animals like rabbit, etc. and feed the parrots @Bird Park.
Play at the water park and enjoy the merry-go-round ride.
Last edited by chatelaine on Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chatelaine
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas