Flu Jab

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Flu jab before travel

Postby milktea » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Do you bring your kids for flu jab if going colder places during their winter? My elder one refuses to take jab :roll:

milktea
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby mamemo » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Yes I did, our whole family took before we went to Tokyo in November. We went to Polyclinic (I think it's family clinic) and the nurse was very experienced in dealing with children, so was done quickly !

I half-expected my boy to cry but he didn't! I'm pleasantly surprised!

mamemo
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Flu Jab

Postby ptb7476 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:51 pm

Is there a need to take the flu jab before bringing our child on holiday ?

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Flu Jab

Postby auntieM » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:02 pm

ptb7476 wrote:Is there a need to take the flu jab before bringing our child on holiday ?

We did, and survived 3 weeks without a sneeze in Europe...Maybe we are just lucky.. :smile:

auntieM
Councillor
Councillor

Postby needtoupdate » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:28 pm

flu jab have a general protection of at least 60%
it is most useful for diabetic ,heart ,lung patients and elderly above 65

i believe any plane flight is problematic for anyone with weak immunity
becos the cabin air is recycled internally throughout the flight and no fresh air is drawn from outside{.remember the air craft movies scenes where a bullet puncture wil cause eveything to be sucked out }

so can u imagine every flight there is bound 2 b someone who is sick and coughing away even though filters are used to recycle the air.

so having a flu jab before air fights would be possibly helful

BUT not for those who have previous Severe allergies amounting hospitalization to egg or chicken

needtoupdate
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby Gems » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:58 pm

My children always have their flu jab before holidays. We feel it is safer as their immunity is lower as compared to adults. We also do not want to risk them falling sick during the trip.

Gems
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Eagle-Ladybird » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:02 am

needtoupdate wrote:i believe any plane flight is problematic for anyone with weak immunity becos the cabin air is recycled internally throughout the flight and no fresh air is drawn from outside{.remember the air craft movies scenes where a bullet puncture wil cause eveything to be sucked out }

It's not true that cabin air is recycled internally 100% throughout the flight. Cabin air is mixed with outside inflow and internal recycled air (at least for Boeings. I'm quite sure Airbus does it too). And there's inflow/outflow rate of cabin air, which I cannot recall

Eagle-Ladybird
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas