Travel: Taiwan - General

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Shopping in Taiwan

Postby simplejan » Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:32 pm

Planning a trip to taiwan for shopping and pure shopping @-@ Any valuable shopping tips and ideas to share? Which hotel and area best to stay? Appreciate any sound advice!

:boogie:

simplejan
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Shopping in Taiwan

Postby Blessed Homemaker » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Just a note, they are having winter now so most of their clothings are thick.

Blessed Homemaker
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby Aceacebaby » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:53 pm

any great places to get the cosmetics that they always recommend on the show "Queen" as well ma? Must-haves!

Aceacebaby
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Postby cherrygal » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:32 pm

Buy lots of simulated leather boots! I bought 5 pairs last time for S$20 each. All from Ximending.

My friend stayed at Rainbow Hotel which is at Ximending itself. Very convenient. And if the celebrities hold meet-the-fans sessions, you can watch the show from your room above. But this hotel has no stopping point for coaches so you may have to drag your luggage. Travel light if staying there.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby cherrygal » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Don't just shop... you must go around eating too. :)

Go to all the night markets and try all the famous snacks shown on Taiwanese variety shows like Guess, Super Taste etc.

If you like Chinese books, visit their famous Cheng Pin bookstore (Eslite Bookstore).

Dun forget to buy the Pineapple Cakes (fengli su) and Sun Cakes (Taiyang bing) to distribute to friends and relatives.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Fairy » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:00 pm

cherrygal wrote:Don't just shop... you must go around eating too. :)

Go to all the night markets and try all the famous snacks shown on Taiwanese variety shows like Guess, Super Taste etc.

Right at Ximenting, there's the famous Ah Chong Mian Xian - must try. Particularly yummy to have a hot bowl of oyster mian xian surrounded by the cold air of winter. :drool:

Fairy
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Travel: Taiwan - General

Postby 1place1dream » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:36 am

Hi. For those interested and had been following, i have just updated my travel blog with the last family trip to Taiwan. We did the round island clockwise in 14-days. Actually i had wanted to do anti-clockwise so as to end at Taipei shopping. But that would hit the Christmas peak, so I ended up the other way.

As i was busy with work, this time the trip was planned completely on the fly. ie I spend about 1 hour every night to work out the next day itinerary.
All enjoyed as we ended up with great variety. For sights, we had the great sea ocean view through the East Coast, National Parks like Taroko, Alishan, Sun Moon Lake. And we had cycled, hikes, strawberries picking, made our own blow glass pieces, theme park rides and of cause the night markets.

visit 1place1dream.blogspot.com

There were older ones like Hokkaido and China for those interested.

1place1dream
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Re: Travel: Taiwan - General

Postby simple2005 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:32 pm

Looks like good stuff. Thanks.

Agree on the self-plan travel.

We've done self-drive Taiwan, Aus, US and M'sia before, and we just came back from a trip to Cambodia and it was wonderful!

Cheers.

simple2005
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Re: Travel: Taiwan - General

Postby parent_in_west » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks for sharing :) Will definitely benefit those of us who like F&E holidays!

parent_in_west
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Return to Holiday Ideas