Travel: Malaysia - Kota Kinabalu

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Malaysia - Kota Kinabalu

Postby karpai » Wed May 20, 2009 11:08 am

Original Title: Mui Ne, Perhentian, Kota Kinabalu

Desperately trying to find the best destination for our holiday in June. Were hoping to go to Lombok or Bali but there are no cheap flights available.

So now we are contemplating between Mui Ne - Vietnam, Pulau Perhentian or Kota Kinabalu in Malaysia. We are traveling with kids (3 and 7 years). Hoping to find some beautiful beaches, friendly service and good food. Any experiences?

karpai
KiasuNewbie
KiasuNewbie

Postby westmom » Wed May 20, 2009 6:08 pm

If you are a sucker for fresh seafood (steam fish/prawns type etc), go for Kota Kinabalu. I know a lot of HK tourists like this place because of the "freshness" of seafood and it's cheaper of course. Most go to KK to climb the mystical mountain. We didn't and we were just happy to stay in a resort and there are a lot of activities..snorkelling/watersports ie parasailing, bananaboat kind of stuff. You probably get this kind of experience too in Pulau Perhentian and probably cheaper there too. Our KK highlight is still the fresh seafood... But if you like "shopping", this is not the place for you.

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Tue May 26, 2009 8:40 am

Been to KK last year. Beautiful place & nice seafood. The pearls are cheap too. The sea however are not as fantastic in KK unless you go for island hopping. I stayed in Shangrila Rasa Ria in Tuaran, slightly out of town. The water is clear and the sand is flat just as we walk out of the hotel. A lot of activities arrange by the hotel.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Tue May 26, 2009 12:41 pm

EN- so did we (stayed in Shangri la Tuaran)! Did you eat at the famous Tuaran noodles ? We didn't do swimming at beach but chartering a boat out for island hopping/sea sports was fun. I didn't go for the firefly boat ride but it was one of the best experience for my dd. She also enjoyed the horseriding by the beach while I was so nervous...afraid of the height mah. Stayed one night in KK town itself to continue our delightful experience in seafood!

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby EN » Tue May 26, 2009 5:33 pm

Westmom. Yes, same place we stayed last year. Awesome place. I think I tried the Tuaran noodle but can't exactly remember. The must try is actually the Indian restaurant in the hotel itself. The chef or the restaurant itself has been voted as the best in Malaysia by Malaysia Tourism Board. I tried the horse ride along the beach. Tamara the horse I chose was so mild, so gentle yet so stubborn as it refused to return to the stable after the ride ends. Opposite for us eh cause my kids were the ones refusing to ride on horses. I tried the ATV too. I dont quite like the island hopping. Too much bite by sand fly. The beach in front of the hotel is heavenly (right side at the far corner). Very clear water & I saw a flounder trying to decide to swim or to lie flat in the sand. I stayed in town too for 2 nights in Magellan. Keep in touch with local friends, shop for bric bracs and of course food. I like Pacific Harbour buffet dinner very much better than the seafood restaurant near Tanjung Aru.

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby tamarind » Fri May 29, 2009 9:54 am

EN wrote:Westmom. Yes, same place we stayed last year. Awesome place. I think I tried the Tuaran noodle but can't exactly remember. The must try is actually the Indian restaurant in the hotel itself. The chef or the restaurant itself has been voted as the best in Malaysia by Malaysia Tourism Board. I tried the horse ride along the beach. Tamara the horse I chose was so mild, so gentle yet so stubborn as it refused to return to the stable after the ride ends. Opposite for us eh cause my kids were the ones refusing to ride on horses. I tried the ATV too. I dont quite like the island hopping. Too much bite by sand fly. The beach in front of the hotel is heavenly (right side at the far corner). Very clear water & I saw a flounder trying to decide to swim or to lie flat in the sand. I stayed in town too for 2 nights in Magellan. Keep in touch with local friends, shop for bric bracs and of course food. I like Pacific Harbour buffet dinner very much better than the seafood restaurant near Tanjung Aru.

EN,
I brought my kids to Kota Kinabalu last year. Both my hubby and I were bitten badly by the sandflies in the islands ! Strangely and fortunately both my kids were not bitten at all. The fishes at the beach were also very "fierce", one fish kept knocking its head at my knee and bit me.

We stayed at the Tanjung Aru resort, the islands were only a 15 mins boat ride away.

Any sandflies at the beach in front of the Shangrila ? If there are no sandflies I don't mind going again.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby EN » Fri May 29, 2009 1:37 pm

We stayed at the Tanjung Aru resort, the islands were only a 15 mins boat ride away.

Any sandflies at the beach in front of the Shangrila ? If there are no sandflies I don't mind going again.

Shangrila Rasa Ria boat ride is not long either. Maybe about 20 minutes as the boat man claim it's the fastest boat in Sabah. There's no sand fly biting us at Rasa Ria but a caucasian family told us their toddler was bitten while playing sand castle.

The fishes at the beach were also very "fierce", one fish kept knocking its head at my knee and bit me.

You are one yummy fish food. :lol:

EN
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby westmom » Fri May 29, 2009 5:23 pm

tamarind wrote:[

We were in the group of 8 in KK. 2 got bitten by the sandflies while the rest were OK. I think there are some insect repellants that will work against sandflies...

westmom
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby chixchix » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:41 pm

is there anything we can use to keep the sandflies away ? Also, any direct flight to KK ??

chixchix
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Postby tamarind » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:20 pm

Westmom, EN,

Sorry I missed out your replies. I will consider going to Kota Kinabalu again if I can get really cheap air tickets :) Will remember to bring insect repellant. It is a very quiet and relaxing place.

chixchix,
Tigerairways and Airasia have direct flights to Kota Kinabalu.

tamarind
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas