Travel: North Korea - Pyongyang

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: North Korea - Pyongyang

Postby Ichigokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:44 pm

I know its a bit weird. But jus curious, any of you have ever visited this hermit nation, North Korea?

North Korea (조선/북한) is a communist nation full of brainwashed Koreans.

Their first leader and founder is Kim Il-song (김일성), his son, Kim Jong-il (김정일), who recently died is the second leader. The third and current leader is Kim Jong-eun (김정은), Kim Jong-Il's son.

North Korea's capital is Pyongyang (평양). North Korea also boasts quite a few mountains. The most famous being Paektu-San (백두산) and Kumgang-San (금강산).

North Korea will be celebrating Kim Il-song's 100th birthday on 15 April 2012 and DPRK Founding day on 25 April 2012.

I expect it to have tons of celebrations and this will be the most royal one ever because Kim Il-song having a 100th birthday is not a small thing to them.

North Korea has some alliances.

North Korean "friends" include China and Singapore (yes, don't be surprised).

And that's about it. Only 2 countries I guess because USSR has so-called "betrayed" all communist countries

There is even a North Korean Embassy in Singapore. The first fast food restaurant in North Korea is opened by Singapore. North Korea imports about 3% of it's fuel from Singapore. North Korean official Mr Rim has once visited Singapore.

Fun Fact: North Koreans are NOT allowed to look at ANY foreigners. It is an offence and they will be punished HEAVILY (other than the guides that will guide you around of course, they have been given special permission by DPRK Authorities).

Fun Fact 2: North Koreans are NOT allowed to talk to ANY foreigners. It is an offence and they will also be punished. (other than the guides)

Fun Fact 3: North Korean beer is very cheap. You can get a bottle for just €0.98

Fun Fact 4: If you speak bad of the North Korean leader or anything about DPRK, YOU WILL BE PUNISHED. EVEN FOREIGNERS.

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Re: Travel: North Korea - Pyongyang

Postby Ichigokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:48 pm

You can travel to North Korea from these countries:

1. Dandong, China (the closest city of China from North Korea)
2. Shenyang, China
3. Moscow, Russia
4. Vladivostok, Russia
5. Bangkok, Thailand

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:57 pm

I once met 2 north koreans during an overseas training. What surprised me was one of them (possibly the superior) gave each lecturer a present.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ichigokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:07 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:I once met 2 north koreans during an overseas training. What surprised me was one of them (possibly the superior) gave each lecturer a present.

I'm surprised you can even find North Koreans outside North Korea. Haven't seen one before :wink: hope to see one sooner or later.

If they are out of DPRK they can defect right? Nobody wants to stay in North Korea anyway.

Famine, restriction on human rights.

All these problems are for their own DPRK citizens, foreigners will do just fine there.

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby starlight1968sg » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Am very sure they were N Koreans because I even asked them how was it in their country. They were polite, spoke good english and even had email addresses.
After the training, I sent an email to them but received no reply.
Maybe that training conducted in one of our neighbouring countries was very special and thus 2 came ?

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby Ichigokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:21 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:Am very sure they were N Koreans because I even asked them how was it in their country. They were polite, spoke good english and even had email addresses.
After the training, I sent an email to them but received no reply.
Maybe that training conducted in one of our neighbouring countries was very special and thus 2 came ?

Yeah. The Internet traffic in North Korea is being monitored very closely by authorities 24/7.

So whatever you type, the authorities in DPRK can see it. Whatever your friends reply, the authorities in DPRK can see it.

If your NK friends replied you that DPRK is full of famine, propaganda, sick and evil leaders, he/she would go to prison camps with no doubt at all.

The connection is often routed into DPRK via China.

I kinda thought NK would ban English because it's an "American" language.

No idea they could speak it :?

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Ichigokun » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Oh by the way.

Most North Koreans are legible towards Chinese. They call it HanJa (한자)

Chinese was the writing system in North Korea before the 1880s.

Although Korean was invented in the year 1447 by King Sejong, many high-ranking officials and noblemen continued using HanJa until the 1880s.

Korean back then was used by the ordinary people and citizens of Korea.

So Korea actually had been using Chinese for more than a thousand years.

Korean history has alot to do with China.

In a historic record, Silla Bongi Jideok 3 (실라벙이지뎍삼) wrote that Korea adapted Chinese culture, law and order, surnames and clothing.

The title of Korean king was even given to Korea by China.

Korean kings wore blue or red clothing, with three dragons, meaning that the Korean king had lower authority compared to Chinese kings, who wore yellow clothing with NINE dragons on it.

Even the Korean today is heavily influenced by Chinese language. Look it up and you will get what I mean :wink:

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby sydney » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:08 pm

Is it true? Someone tell me if you have North Korea stamp on your passport, you will have difficulty getting into US.

Ichigokun wrote:Oh by the way.

Although Korean was invented in the year 1447 by King Sejong, many high-ranking officials and noblemen continued using HanJa until the 1880s.

In a historic record, Silla Bongi Jideok 3 (실라벙이지뎍삼) wrote that Korea adapted Chinese culture, law and order, surnames and clothing.

Korean kings wore blue or red clothing, with three dragons, meaning that the Korean king had lower authority compared to Chinese kings, who wore yellow clothing with NINE dragons on it.

Even the Korean today is heavily influenced by Chinese language. Look it up and you will get what I mean :wink:

sydney
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Postby Ichigokun » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm

sydney wrote:Is it true? Someone tell me if you have North Korea stamp on your passport, you will have difficulty getting into US.

Ichigokun wrote:Oh by the way.

No. You won't have any problem if you visit the US even after attaining a North Korean stamp.

However, no goods from The Democratic People's Republic of Korea can be imported into The United States.

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Postby Ichigokun » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:29 pm

I don't think you will get a stamp from North Korea unless you are from The People's Republic of China. Any other nationality is unable to get hold of the stamp

Ichigokun
BrownBelt
BrownBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas