Travel: Scotland

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Travel: Scotland

Postby bebebub » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 am

Am planning a trip to Scotland this summer. Looking for travel advice/comments from the KSP community. Any KSPers graduated from the various Scottish Unis?

Which is a good base - Edinburgh or Glasgow? Where to stay?
If not driving, is it easy to navigate using the public transport?
Do I need more than a day to explore Glasgow city?
Is Isle of Skye worth going?
Is it worthwhile to travel all the way to Inverness?
Will visit Loch Ness. Is the cruise on Loch Ness worth going?
Any recommendations of local tour operator?

TIA.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Re: Travel: Scotland

Postby drwho » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:16 pm

hi bebebub,
Scotland is a lovely place. just need some time to get use to their accent :-)
i stayed at Glasgow for a while, there is really nothing much there... haha.
Edinburgh castle is a beautiful castle, walking the old town leading to the castle has been a wonderful memory. shopping along princes st just opposite the castle give u a great view. dont' forget to take a stroll along the street in the evening to check out the night view too. there is this Calton cemetery (...i went there a few times, never have eerie feeling...) where you can overlook the whole edinburgh including amazing view of the castle & the palace of holyroad house. (must go) accessible by car.
went to isle of skye b4, lovely island, during good day, u can spot seals & sea birds there. went there by train then...
i love inverness, glencoe, highlands, loch ness area... we rented a car, it was snowing.. unforgettable memory. lovely! must go!!
i've never really followed a local tour, besides a ski tour. self drive is more convenient if you plan to travel around edinburgh & inverness area. traveling from edinburgh to isle of skye or glasgow can opt for train serv. (& appreciate the architecture of the stations) btw, if you have time, can try self drive to lake district :-)

drwho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby drwho » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:47 pm

Hi there, the place to overlook Edinburgh should be the city observatory/national monument, next to calton cemetery..

drwho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby bebebub » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:31 pm

drwho,
Thanks for the many tips. I'll check it out.
I'm planning to stay over at Portree. Are the BnB ok, or should I pick a hotel? Is it safe to wonder around in Portree at night? I assume it is a very quiet town.
Thanks

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby drwho » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:46 pm

Hi bebebub, i can't remember much about Portree...sorry.. But generally Scottish are VERY friendly & helpful (avoid the drunk though), furthermore sun doesn't set til 9pm during summer time, so no worries, be happy!
B&B are generally clean & comfy. Do check out the B&B listing from visitbritain~~ http://www.visitbritain.com/en/Accommod ... akfast.htm

drwho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby sleepy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm

When I was in Edinburgh many years back, I saw quite a number of drunkards slouching at the side of the street. They didn't approach passerbys but I was still kind of uneasy. Couldn't remember the name of that street but it was somewhere near the castle

Try to catch a play if possible. Interesting! You can check the schedule at tourist information

sleepy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:53 pm

Sleepy,
Thanks, will bear your advice in mind re. the drunkards. Am travelling with a female companion. Gotta be safe. Will probably stay in New Town, Princes St.

Yes, we plan to check out the performances, too.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby bebebub » Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:53 pm

Going to Scotland in early summer. This means I will miss the Royal Military Tattoo. Will hv to compromise n catch the Taste of Scotland Show at Prestonfield House instead.

Anyone with any advice/comments if this is worth going? Alternatively, any advice where can I catch a traditional Scottish cultural music performance?

TIA

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby drwho » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:10 pm

bebebub wrote:Going to Scotland in early summer. This means I will miss the Royal Military Tattoo. Will hv to compromise n catch the Taste of Scotland Show at Prestonfield House instead.

Anyone with any advice/comments if this is worth going? Alternatively, any advice where can I catch a traditional Scottish cultural music performance?

TIA

check out http://www.scotland.com/events/
i've been to those "highland games', you get to see all dress up in traditional tartans outfit, scottish ceilidh dancing, bag pipes performance & some traditional Scottish games + stalls selling hot food & snacks.

drwho
OrangeBelt
OrangeBelt

Postby MadScientist » Wed May 02, 2012 1:35 am

bebebub wrote:Am planning a trip to Scotland this summer. Looking for travel advice/comments from the KSP community. Any KSPers graduated from the various Scottish Unis?
I graduated from Uni Edin... My fav place on this earth.

Which is a good base - Edinburgh or Glasgow? Where to stay?
Edinburgh - old town area better, along Nicholson Rd.

If not driving, is it easy to navigate using the public transport?
Easy... Outside city, must drive. In city, the cabs are good if you have 4 people.

Do I need more than a day to explore Glasgow city?
Yes... Depends if you want shopping, sights, or night life (clubbing)

Is Isle of Skye worth going?
Very... Driving up is awesome! it really depends if you are brining kids, or just a couple.

Is it worthwhile to travel all the way to Inverness?
Will visit Loch Ness. Is the cruise on Loch Ness worth going?
Any recommendations of local tour operator?
Yes yes!
Drive up from Edinburgh, using city bypasses of Edin and Glasgow...
Head to Loch Lomond for a cruise. It's nice in spring, not so sure about summer.
Then move along to Fort William, along the way, stop at certain small towns to find food and unique sites of Scottish history. The Benedictine Monestary is a must for ancient Scottish history of the Celts, etc. Base at Fort Willaim along the road B&Bs. Nice views of the loch.

Oh yeah... Near Fort Augustus, find the small road to Glen Nevis. GLEN Nevis is the valley next to Ben Nevis ( the mountain ). Park at the small car park at the end of the long deep winding road, and then find a small path that brings you along the side of the mountain, half way up. Walk along until you come to some boulders and go over them. As you climb over, you will be on the Glen... And greeting you is a majestic waterfall. May dry up in summer, as I usually go there in spring. The glen is a nice place for picnic as there are sheep and lambs all around free roaming. There is a stream in the middle of the glen... The whole place feels like Braveheart county.

I think the Benetidctine Monestary is near Fort Augustus. From there, branch up to Inverness and get a cruise. Bit long and boring though... I prefer the Loch Lomond cruise. Then track back to Fort Augustus and head towards Skye... Lots of sights to stop along the way.

TIA.

Hope that helps! :)

MadScientist
BlueBelt
BlueBelt

Next

Return to Holiday Ideas