Road Trip up north

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.

Road Trip up north

Postby ptb7476 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:03 pm

anyone brought their toddler up north ? am thinking of driving up to Tanjong Jara but worry that my 18th months old cant take the long road ride .

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Re: Road Trip up north

Postby cherrygal » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:09 pm

We just came back from Genting in our car. Our toddler was manageable. I prepared lots of snacks, drinks, VCDs etc. Kept snacking on fruits and titbits throughout to keep blood sugar up. They get grumpy if hungry. I also brought along home cooked lunch in a thermal container and fed her in the car.

We kept our toilet stops short (bought burgers to eat in the car) as these toddlers dun need toilet breaks. Better to reach the destination as fast as you can and try to include a nap in the travelling time.

And dun skip any naps. A big no no. Try to keep to their daily routines as much as possible.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ptb7476 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:32 am

cherrygal wrote:We just came back from Genting in our car. Our toddler was manageable. I prepared lots of snacks, drinks, VCDs etc. Kept snacking on fruits and titbits throughout to keep blood sugar up. They get grumpy if hungry. I also brought along home cooked lunch in a thermal container and fed her in the car.

We kept our toilet stops short (bought burgers to eat in the car) as these toddlers dun need toilet breaks. Better to reach the destination as fast as you can and try to include a nap in the travelling time.

And dun skip any naps. A big no no. Try to keep to their daily routines as much as possible.

i brought my son to HK...and through the 3hr flight ...he cant really sit still even with snacks drinks and ipad ... so abit worry cos that road trip is much long than 3hrs :sweat:

but cars are more bumpy how do you feed them lunch ? and watching vcd :scared:

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cherrygal » Wed Jun 13, 2012 8:41 pm

I was also worried coz my gal will not sit still in the car normally. And when she starts crying in the car, she can get really loud and it would be quite impossible for the driver to concentrate on the road. :sweat: So for this trip, we really planned on entertaining her and made sure we had everything she needed in the car itself (not locked up in the boot).

We spent almost 6hrs on the road (she slept through 1.5hrs of it). The N-S Highway is very straight and not bumpy at all. Totally possible to feed lunch (from a deep container), eat snacks and watch VCDs. She enjoyed her trip and there were no tantrums.

She was strapped into her car seat and was a bit noisy until we whipped out her fave VCDs. When we showed her favourite shows, she was relaxed and enjoyed the entire programme. Make sure you bring along the car charger. I think VCDs are easier than playing ipad games coz toddlers dun really know how to play the games by themselves yet.

More importantly, I let her munch on food/fruit continuously and fed her sips of water every 10 mins. I packed a tray with all sorts of drinks (packet milk, milo, juice), snacks (pocky, hawflakes, wangwang, cereal, sweets etc) and containers of washed grapes. I also brought along apples, bananas etc.

It is advisable for the mother to sit next to the child at the back seat. I tended to her every need and watched the shows with her to keep her attention there. My hubby was thus able to concentrate on driving.

Dun forget to bring along his fave bolster, stuffed toy etc.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Postby ptb7476 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:44 am

cherrygal wrote:I was also worried coz my gal will not sit still in the car normally. And when she starts crying in the car, she can get really loud and it would be quite impossible for the driver to concentrate on the road. :sweat: So for this trip, we really planned on entertaining her and made sure we had everything she needed in the car itself (not locked up in the boot).

We spent almost 6hrs on the road (she slept through 1.5hrs of it). The N-S Highway is very straight and not bumpy at all. Totally possible to feed lunch (from a deep container), eat snacks and watch VCDs. She enjoyed her trip and there were no tantrums.

She was strapped into her car seat and was a bit noisy until we whipped out her fave VCDs. When we showed her favourite shows, she was relaxed and enjoyed the entire programme. Make sure you bring along the car charger. I think VCDs are easier than playing ipad games coz toddlers dun really know how to play the games by themselves yet.

More importantly, I let her munch on food/fruit continuously and fed her sips of water every 10 mins. I packed a tray with all sorts of drinks (packet milk, milo, juice), snacks (pocky, hawflakes, wangwang, cereal, sweets etc) and containers of washed grapes. I also brought along apples, bananas etc.

It is advisable for the mother to sit next to the child at the back seat. I tended to her every need and watched the shows with her to keep her attention there. My hubby was thus able to concentrate on driving.

Dun forget to bring along his fave bolster, stuffed toy etc.

that's alot of stuff you bring and do for this trip :goodpost: thanks will consider ...

ptb7476
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Postby cherrygal » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:30 am

Yah, no choice if you want sanity along the trip. The point in driving up is so we can take along more things. If we did not bring so many things, we would rather take the coach or fly.

cherrygal
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Return to Holiday Ideas