Travel: Switzerland - General

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
dolphinsiah
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:25

Re: Travel: Switzerland - General

Post by dolphinsiah » Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:50 pm

One last video clip to share about Grindelwald -First.

As you can see on the video clip , when you hike , you are near the Alps...so nice.

[/youtube]

xiaostar
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by xiaostar » Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:03 am

bebebub wrote:Did u visit Chillion Castle? I'm wondering if it's worth traveling over 2 hours just to visit the Castle.
the train journey is part of the experience!
admire the beautiful scenery.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:39

Post by Imami » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:35 am

I have very fond memories of montreux and I had been to chillion castle too. Montreux is beautiful! My only regrets were missing the chocolate train and not staying there long enough to explore more of montreux.

And yes, agree with Xiaostar - the journey there (regardless of Destination or mode of transport) is part of the experience. An important part, in my opinion. Looking forward to bringing our child to Switzerland. I think he would :yikes: to realize that the poo would go straight to the tracks if he uses the toilets on some trains. :laugh:

Do they still have such trains? I remembered during our first trip to Switzerland, the train to zermatt and some other towns had such trains and we were having a good laugh at them.

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:8

Post by bebebub » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:50 am

I did read that the sector from Intelaken to Montreux is very scenic, too. We will be taking the other sector of the Golden Line, when we move base from grindelwald to Lucern. I'm sure the adults will enjoy the scenery, but I need to keep my dcs' interest in mind. Am gonna hv a hard time tearing them away from the alps and snow. So wondering if the Chillion Castle would be interesting to hold their interest. I'm traveling during low season. Choco train not operating :sad:

Imami, quick quick bring tofu boy to travel b4 he starts formal school. Else you will be subject to June n Dec travels like many of us :(

The poos goes straight onto the tracks? :yikes:

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Imami » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:01 am

Chilllion hor.... More for adults. Unless your kids are into knights and Medieval stories. If your kids are into stories, you or your hubby probably need to read up so that when you folks are there, can 就的取材 use the exhibits to talk about the stories. Ah, those things parents do - clowns, story tellers etc...

But chillion castle has a toilet (exhibit only) with a scenic toilet bowl - poo goes right into lake Geneva!

Poo onto the tracks - yes. Because the toilet bowl base isn't like those we are familiar with. It ended with an open hole and you would see the tracks as the train sped off. And yes, I did use the train toilet to pee :oops: It's a 3h train journey up zermatt, if I remembered correctly. How to hold the pee?!

Was quite guilty about using the loo on the train but hubby thought otherwise. He said look at those green green grass and the moo moo cows! We all helped to fertilize the grass for the moo moos who in turn produce great beef and milk for us! Good deal!

:shock: :faint:

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by bebebub » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:32 pm

Imami wrote:Chilllion hor.... More for adults. Unless your kids are into knights and Medieval stories. If your kids are into stories, you or your hubby probably need to read up so that when you folks are there, can 就的取材 use the exhibits to talk about the stories. Ah, those things parents do - clowns, story tellers etc...

But chillion castle has a toilet (exhibit only) with a scenic toilet bowl - poo goes right into lake Geneva!

Poo onto the tracks - yes. Because the toilet bowl base isn't like those we are familiar with. It ended with an open hole and you would see the tracks as the train sped off. And yes, I did use the train toilet to pee :oops: It's a 3h train journey up zermatt, if I remembered correctly. How to hold the pee?!

Was quite guilty about using the loo on the train but hubby thought otherwise. He said look at those green green grass and the moo moo cows! We all helped to fertilize the grass for the moo moos who in turn produce great beef and milk for us! Good deal!

:shock: :faint:
:laugh: your hb might be right.

:yikes: you made me see Lake Geneve in a different light.

Imami
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by Imami » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:50 pm

bebebub wrote:
:yikes: you made me see Lake Geneve in a different light.
But hor, Lake Geneva is postcard beautiful, no need photoshop. :idea: must be the Medieval poo! :laugh:

I still haven't got around to find our Swiss photo albums. Shall see if I can find them soon!

sleepyqueen
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by sleepyqueen » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:46 am

Dolphinsiah, & Mum03,

Thanks for the trip report. Glad that your family enjoyed the trips.

I just starting to study in Switzerland planning for my trip too.
Do you all use just Swiss Pass along?
I will be zooming into Zermatt – Interlaken - Lucerne - Zurich (at the moment after my research) :P

Mummy_Tang
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Mummy_Tang » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:10 am

Hi HI!

Looking for advise for the experts here...

Will be transiting in Zurich with hb before we head for Hamburg Germany for his work trip in Sept. So we only have abt 4days in Zurich... Switzerland is one of my must go places and we can only explore 1 tiny area for 4days, what are the recommendation that are
Must SEE?
Must EAT?
Must DO/Try?

I have research abit here and there while trying to piece up and still blur where to base (Lucern/Zurich)? And how do we handle our bulky luggages?

They are :
Lake Zurich
Lindt Chocolate Factory Outlet
Rhine Falls
Luzern
Lake Luzern
Mt Pilatus/Mt Titus
Interlaken
Jungfrouch
Grindewald
Bern - what to see/do here?
Zermatt - don't think we can do this due to time constraint...

if 4 days cannot do all these, then what are the best/must go?

:thankyou: in advance!

bebebub
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by bebebub » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:40 am

Mummy_Tang wrote:Hi HI!

Looking for advise for the experts here...

Will be transiting in Zurich with hb before we head for Hamburg Germany for his work trip in Sept. So we only have abt 4days in Zurich... Switzerland is one of my must go places and we can only explore 1 tiny area for 4days, what are the recommendation that are
Must SEE?
Must EAT?
Must DO/Try?

I have research abit here and there while trying to piece up and still blur where to base (Lucern/Zurich)? And how do we handle our bulky luggages?

:thankyou: in advance!
Not an expert. Just sharing. Here's what I would do:

Based in Lucern and do day trips.

1 day
Rhine Falls, Schaffhausen, Lindt choco factory, zurich city

1 day
Mt Pilatus, Glasi Factory combine with a boat ride on lake Luzern (to Alpnachstad) or
Mt Rigi combine with boat ride on lake Lucern (to Vitnau)

1 day
Mt Titlis, Engelberg. Probably won't take u the whole day, so u hv some time to explore Lucern city as well.

1 day
Lake Thun, Thun Castle, Ballenberg Open Musuem, Brienz

Train ride from Lucern to Intelaken takes abt 2 hrs on the Golden Line. From there, via Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch will take another 2hours. Even with longer day light, it's a very long trip to make. A full price train tic from Grindelwald to Jungfraujoch costs abt CHF180.

I think Switzerland is a beautiful country to be enjoyed at leisure. Dun rush to cover places. JMHO.