Travel - Germany

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt
Total Likes:15

Re: Travel - Germany

Post by Zeit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:29 pm

speedmaths.com wrote:
MyPillow wrote:Am being kiasu now - pondering for next dec trip
Can advise is English widely spoken in Germany big cities - munich, frankfurt?
I took Luth air and transit in frankfurt in June, all speak good English in airport .
Worry about language barrier ? will it be easy for me to do Munich and Austria -taking train fr munich to innsbruk, salzburg, English speaking staff in major train stations and sign boards for trains? we dunno german/french etc
Many Thanks ,yah :)
Yes
(Can advise is English widely spoken in Germany big cities - munich, frankfurt?)
Yes, effectively multilingual now - those younger Germans - compared to 20-30 years ago. Subway/ Rail / Airport all have Eng translations. Salespersons, Christmas market stallowners, taxi drivers and restaurant waitresses can speak English very well. In dept stores, they even have Chinese immigrants who can speak Cantonese and Putonghua to you if you need assistance.

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:32 pm

speedmaths.com wrote:
Hiaweh wrote:Thank you Zeit for your insights. My first time alone with all 3 but it'll be exciting. Will have to coordinate the luggage with my hb. Thanks for yr reminder.

My biggest worry is pickpockets that targets tourist but I think Germany is generally safer than rest of Europe. Hope I'm right.
The native Germans are generally very helpful to tourists.

But watch out for the foreigners / immigrants.
I nearly got conned by some Turkish-looking men, TWICE.
Errhmmm, not so helpful 20-30 years ago. Extremely arrogant and cold. Maybe they are Eastern Germans/Polish who are more polite.

What were you conned of? Fake Adidas NMDs? :evil:

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:34 pm

Hiaweh wrote:Thanks, Zeit. My hb thinks that Dec is not a good time to visit Germany because it cold and wet(rainy) so may end up not being able to do much due to the shorter day also.

But will keep this in mind if we decide to go ahead.
OK, you can pick a warmer country :)

Yes, will be rainy if it's not cold enough to snow. :gloomy:

Hiaweh
BlueBelt
BlueBelt
Total Likes:1

Post by Hiaweh » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:50 pm

Zeit wrote:
Hiaweh wrote:Thanks, Zeit. My hb thinks that Dec is not a good time to visit Germany because it cold and wet(rainy) so may end up not being able to do much due to the shorter day also.

But will keep this in mind if we decide to go ahead.
OK, you can pick a warmer country :)

Yes, will be rainy if it's not cold enough to snow. :gloomy:
Very disappointed. Is the rain like raining cats and dogs or just drizzles? And does it last throughout the day/s?

Zeit
BlackBelt
BlackBelt

Post by Zeit » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:17 am

There'll be an opportunity next time. The probability of encountering rain isn't high as you will be moving around :-p I only encountered rain twice - once in Vienna, another in Frankfurt. The other days were perfectly sunny with some sleet.

Actually, it's not just in Germany but elsewhere in Europe too. It'll sleet a bit, snow a bit at night in Dec due to precipitation. Just wear waterproof jackets with hoods & boots (lots of lelongs on taobao.com).

Summer can be extremely HOT (36-40 degrees) and crowded with American & Chinese tourists. Late autumn is the best, but alas, we don't encourage 'ponteng'. But post PSLE in Oct-Nov should be a nice & cheaper season to visit Europe.

serinder
YellowBelt
YellowBelt

Post by serinder » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:34 pm

The major cities of Frankfurt and Munich are good places esp for football fans

Michy79
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Michy79 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:18 am

I love Munich! If you only have a couple of days Munich has everything for you. There is plenty of history, museums, etc., plenty of shopping/restaurants/hotels, beautiful architecture, and many people speak English. I've been to Munich a few times and always look forward to going back.

clioclio
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by clioclio » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:06 pm

wta: anyone brought toddler 2.5yrs to europe before? How can we help prepare toddler for jetlag? I guess in the day time he can sleep in stroller or carrier I'm just worried at night while we r trying to sleep he will be awake as it will probably be daytime in sg time?

CarenL
GreenBelt
GreenBelt
Total Likes:2

Post by CarenL » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Berlin is great you have a lot of places to see pretty cultural you would see monument, museums, WWII stuff, check point charlie (famous world wide). I recommend the BUS 100 direction alexanderplatz (last stop) from there you can see the old communist site walking great tour you'll see new and old stuff.

Alex75
GreenBelt
GreenBelt

Post by Alex75 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:20 am

I was in Germany last year and loved it. I so want to go back, and if I ever get the opportunity to, I will!! The Germans are very hospitable.