Europe Trip

School terms keep kids in school and parents sane. Holidays can be boring to kids if they are left alone. Discuss vacation ideas and how to make good use of the free time for both children and adults.
chickamums
YellowBelt
YellowBelt
Total Likes:1

Re: Europe Trip

Post by chickamums » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 am

clioclio wrote:wta: anyone brought toddler 2.5yrs to europe before? How can we help prepare toddler for jetlag? I guess in the day time he can sleep in stroller or carrier I'm just worried at night while we r trying to sleep he will be awake as it will probably be daytime in sg time?
My twins were 3 when we flew to Europe. Wasn’t too bad actually. Try to encourage a long stretch of sleep on plane, so that will be more energetic when get there. Stroller was handy to catch up on sleep too. IMO kids adjust well to time diff fr singapore to Europe. It’s the trip home that usually takes more adjusting.

tankee
Site Admin
Total Likes:24

Post by tankee » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:41 pm

looking for comments

has anyone been to Croatia with EU Holidays? :smile:

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:6

Post by RoastChickenDance » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:50 pm

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by RoastChickenDance » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:28 pm

RoastChickenDance
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster

Post by RoastChickenDance » Sat May 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Highly recommend this Tapas tour in Madrid
https://www.airbnb.com/experiences/760950

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm

We are planning to do Paris, Amsterdam and London during early Dec. I heard about the freezing cold and shorter daylight, etc.... Weather forecast seems to range from 2-8 degree. I was in US during winter this Jan and it was at least -10 degree that we had brief moments of snow. Yes it was cold, I sort of enjoyed the daytime (though I was in office most part of it), it was good in a way that it's different from Singapore.

Was thinking to myself that if we manage our expectations on the cold and turning dark earlier that this is going to happen... and we sort of prep ourselves (for the cold) there is still a good chance that we can still enjoy our holiday.... Hopefully i am not overly optimistic and hoping that folks can share their experience in these countries during December period.

We are travelling with teenage kids + mum. First time to europe and such cold climate for kids + mum. The coolest they did so far was probably Japan at around 10 degree.

For amsterdam, I was looking at those day tour to brussels/ bruges, volendam, etc... with those private tour from tripadvisor. Anyone has experience with that and other tips for december?

For Paris, most likely f&e to the key sights.

For London, looking at day tour to stonehenge, bath, windsor, oxford, cotswold, etc... followed by f&E within london.

For dh and I, it's been 20 years since we went to Europe. But appreciate the feedback especially those that did those countries during early december.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm

MMM
Probably your main concern would be your mum if she is fit enough ie can walk a lot.
All keep warm to avoid falling sick, be prepared to have limited activities due to short daylight,

MMM
Councillor
Councillor
Total Likes:82

Post by MMM » Wed May 22, 2019 5:18 pm

starlight1968sg wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:48 pm
MMM
Probably your main concern would be your mum if she is fit enough ie can walk a lot.
All keep warm to avoid falling sick, be prepared to have limited activities due to short daylight,
Hi starlight1968sg, Yes agree. She is my top of mind concern. Mum is in her early 70s, still active and mobile however being older now, I want to avoid her falling sick. Hence was exploring those private day tour that can pick up from hotel, drive us to the sights. Hopefully that can help minimize too much exposure. We probably only have a couple of f&e on our own.

starlight1968sg
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:29

Post by starlight1968sg » Wed May 22, 2019 5:36 pm

MMM
Perhaps all can start building up stamina well before the trip? I always realise how important my legs are during DIY tours.

floppy
KiasuGrandMaster
KiasuGrandMaster
Total Likes:196

Post by floppy » Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 pm

MMM wrote:
Wed May 22, 2019 4:34 pm
For amsterdam, I was looking at those day tour to brussels/ bruges, volendam, etc... with those private tour from tripadvisor. Anyone has experience with that and other tips for december?

For Paris, most likely f&e to the key sights.
I think there are a lot of details to cover in one post :lol:
Maybe we can try to do it in parts :wink:

My suggestion would be to cover Amsterdam -> Brussels -> Paris in a one-way journey. This journey is easily (and comfortably) done using the Thalys. You may not need to sign on a private day tour. Besides, if you travel in a single direction, you minimise the backtracking required, saving time and most importantly, reduce fatigue.

Amsterdam and Brussels are also fairly small cities. Most of the important sights are within walking distance or easily reached by public transport. Furthermore, the beauty of those two cities are best appreciated on foot (don't worry, plenty of places to stop and rest in between). Both cities are relatively flat as well. I don't think having private transport would reduce the effort required.

From Brussels, you can easily travel to Bruges via Ghent (worth dropping by as well) on an InterCity train taking around 1hr each way. Trains run every 30mins and you can check the schedule and prices online.
Last edited by floppy on Wed May 22, 2019 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.